Hello

Important memos, notices, and updates from The Administrators.
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Hello

Post by JWR »

As most of you might have seen by the color changes on the names as well as the titles below our avatars that our new team for Beta is up and running.

I was asked and accepted one of the posts as a Moderator along with Kaona. Rekka Alexiel and Sensei are going to be the Administrators. It is quite an honor to take the reigns from Goldknight, Deadly Whispers and Magician as well as the mods Gonzai & JennB and others who have kept this board up and running for so many years after Anime-Beta’s founder David Pierpont (AKA Sith Krillin) was taken from this world in 2002.

I joined beta long after he passed away but all a person needs to do to know what he affect he had on so many lives here is to read through this thread viewtopic.php?f=48&t=3580

Later on in passing while on Rubberslug I found David’s gallery http://sithy.rubberslug.com/gallery/home.asp

Time has passed but Beta is still a part of our lives so we have large shoes to fill and a history to honor. The members of Beta also have a part to play.

Beta has seemed to become a bit quiet over the last year. More lurking and less conversations. We know real life has made changes in everyone’s lives but all here have something still they can add and everyone’s voice is important. If you find a thread discussing something that interests you join the conversation. If nothing being discussed is what you want to talk about, start a thread. You might be surprised that there are others here that would be more than happy to discuss a topic you came up with.

I have been a Mod on RS for many years and active here on Beta for many years. I have always taken the job seriously while attempting to be as fair as possible. I have made many long lasting friendships here and want Beta to continue and grow. My door is always open through PM.

Joe Ryan - JWR

I am sure a time permits the others will be by to introduce themselves as well
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
Rekka Alexiel
Demon Seraph of Flames - Admin

Re: Hello

Post by Rekka Alexiel »

Wee, hey guys! Thanks for starting this thread, JWR!

I don't think I need so much of an introduction since the majority of the long-time users know me, but just basically, I started collecting cels back when I was in HS. It's been too long to exactly pinpoint when I started, but I think it was somewhere around 1997. I the first rendition of my gallery was hosted on Geocities where I wrote my own basic HTML code (ah, those first trial and error days!). I didn't join RS until 2002 and then later Beta in 2004, and during that time until now, my activeness has been sort of hit or miss.

I've been an admin for other message boards in the past. If anyone remembers Ezboards, I ran the board for the short-lived TV show "Miracles" back in 2003. It was a lot of fun and give me an excuse to learn and implement new things. More recently, I set up a new message board on my own site for the PS3 game "Drakengard 3" (you can see the link in my signature now; I'm very much still in obsession mode with it!). The system that I use over there is EXACTLY the same as the one here, so that will give me some room to test things over there before implementing them here.

I've been talking with a bunch of our old and new mods and admins about possibly adding in a blog to host longer articles on our hobby of animation artwork collecting, with a easy to browse FAQ for new and old collectors. This may take a while to get going, but in the meantime, if anyone has any thoughts or ideas on what we can do or add to the site, to do something new and different, just let us know! I'm not a pro at coding stuff, so there are limitations to what I can do, but any suggestions would be great to hear! :D
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

Sounds like we've got an excellent team of people working for this forum. :cheers
Serendipity_Collections
Shinigami - Moderator
Shinigami - Moderator

Post by Serendipity_Collections »

Hello!

I am a long time collector of Anime related items from back in the 90's. I started collecting Sailor Moon Trading cards from from there my first Sailor Moon cell. After that it was all over the place. While I don't actively collect things outside of shitajiki, phonecards and an occasional sketch I am still a huge fan. My husband I got hooked on Anime and his favorites range from Vampire Hunter D, Sailor Moon, Marmalade Boy, Escaflowne. My daughters love Fruits Basket, Marmalade Boy and a few others. And my son who is 6 now is into Sailor moon. ^_^ I have done my job as a parent! LOL. I myself am an at home mom who is helping a friend sell off her current collections of items as she is moving. But I am also clearing out much of my old collectibles as well since my son needs his room more and I need the space in the garage for other things ^_^

I have worked as a MOD in other forums such as back when streamload was around I was on Anime Kingdom, Anime Horizons, ect. I had a wonderful time doing what I loved to do which was helping people when the kids were off at school and I am glad I can do so again. I look forward to working with many of you and I look forward to making the group stand out as a whole to a whole new audience/collector. I am very happy to be of service.

Jelenity~
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

Rekka Alexiel wrote:I've been talking with a bunch of our old and new mods and admins about possibly adding in a blog to host longer articles on our hobby of animation artwork collecting, with a easy to browse FAQ for new and old collectors. This may take a while to get going, but in the meantime, if anyone has any thoughts or ideas on what we can do or add to the site, to do something new and different, just let us know! I'm not a pro at coding stuff, so there are limitations to what I can do, but any suggestions would be great to hear! :D
If you ever need some assistance, I code pretty much exclusively in PHP and MySQL (which, last I checked, is what phpBB uses), so I might be able to lend a hand from time to time if you need it (I'm not a big fan of making lots of modifications to these boards, since it makes applying security patches a nightmare, but...). I just really didn't want full admin duties on a board as big as Beta, or I would have volunteered to help ya more officially ^^;. I run a Simple Machines board currently, but I'm good for stuff like theme development, too. I haven't looked at phpBB's themes in awhile, but I did make one for SMF a couple of years ago ;).
Rekka Alexiel

Post by Rekka Alexiel »

zerospace wrote:If you ever need some assistance, I code pretty much exclusively in PHP and MySQL (which, last I checked, is what phpBB uses), so I might be able to lend a hand from time to time if you need it (I'm not a big fan of making lots of modifications to these boards, since it makes applying security patches a nightmare, but...). I just really didn't want full admin duties on a board as big as Beta, or I would have volunteered to help ya more officially ^^;. I run a Simple Machines board currently, but I'm good for stuff like theme development, too. I haven't looked at phpBB's themes in awhile, but I did make one for SMF a couple of years ago ;).
Thank you so much for offering your help!! I'm pretty new to the php language, so if I come across a problem or am unsure on how to do something, would it be okay if I asked you...? That would certainly make me feel better, since I'm sort of learning as I go. It helps to be running another forum with the same system on my own site, though. It lets me test out some stuff that I could implement here. <3
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

Rekka Alexiel wrote:
zerospace wrote:If you ever need some assistance, I code pretty much exclusively in PHP and MySQL (which, last I checked, is what phpBB uses), so I might be able to lend a hand from time to time if you need it (I'm not a big fan of making lots of modifications to these boards, since it makes applying security patches a nightmare, but...). I just really didn't want full admin duties on a board as big as Beta, or I would have volunteered to help ya more officially ^^;. I run a Simple Machines board currently, but I'm good for stuff like theme development, too. I haven't looked at phpBB's themes in awhile, but I did make one for SMF a couple of years ago ;).
Thank you so much for offering your help!! I'm pretty new to the php language, so if I come across a problem or am unsure on how to do something, would it be okay if I asked you...? That would certainly make me feel better, since I'm sort of learning as I go. It helps to be running another forum with the same system on my own site, though. It lets me test out some stuff that I could implement here. <3
Oh yeah, definitely -- feel free to ask, I don't mind (hopefully, I'll be able to help if you actually ever need anything).

You should learn PHP! It's a fun language in that it's easy to pick up (if you've already got basic programming knowledge), but it seems to take forever to truly master it and everything it can possibly do. I'm always learning new stuff every time I start a project :D. What's really fun is AJAX -- you can do some really cool things if you can get php and javascript to play nice together. :hurt:
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

I'd have introduced myself before, but it has been an unusually hectic couple of weeks. I list myself as "Administrator in Waiting" as I have volunteered to learn to do some things to help Rakka (as I have done in various contexts previously). Meantime, I'm helping out in the various efforts to reboot the forum and pick up the level of communication among collectors.

I came to anime in 1999, largely a result of my daughter's discovery of the artform as a sophomore in high school. I watched some DBZ and Gundam Wing with her, before exploring on my own. After a brief interest in the Ah My Goddess! OVA (dubbed), I learned about Cardcaptor Sakura, which at the time was being broadcast on Saturday mornings in the dubbed adaptation Cardcaptors. It didn't take long for me to realize that I was missing something in this version, and soon I was involved in an online community called "Cardcaptors Uncensored" with a forum similar to this one. I got my first cel (one of Sakura and Kero-chan) in July 2000, soon afterwards found the Anime Chaos anime art sales page, and pretty soon joined the Lost Souls.

I stayed active on "Cardcaptors Uncensored" for a few years, and even wrote a long fanfic, titled "Sakura, Satan, and the Fateful Day," in which Sakura sells her soul to the devil to travel back in time to prevent Eli Moon from turning all the characters into their dubbie avatars. But soon I was more active on Animanga, and when I became aware of this forum, I moved over in October 2004.

It's been an interesting and in many ways stimulating relationship. I even wrote an academic analysis of the dynamics that bring people to Anime-Beta and keep them interacting in a friendly way, even though on some level we are all deadly enemies at auction time. (That has, in an odd way, made what I'd thought was a dead-end academic career active again, as I've been accepted by the newest generation of scholars in my field as something of a blooded ethnographer in the world of virtual communities.)

And, of course, it's made what began as a fan's enthusiastic worship of all things CCS into a much more eclectic exploration of anime, from its beginnings in the 70s to its present CGI business. And as my gallery became more far-reaching, the more I've seen it (and my comments here) as an opportunity to educate myself and pass on what I know to new audiences. I'm still learning, still collecting, still sold on anime, and, most unexpectedly, still researching and writing on animation as a sophisticated art form with its own direct line to a part of the human condition that no other form of art can touch so directly.

And I'm still learning how to do certain things online. As Beta will see in time (hopefully in a pleasant and not catastrophic way).
Serendipity_Collections
Shinigami - Moderator
Shinigami - Moderator

Post by Serendipity_Collections »

Sensei... now that's what I call an intro! LOL. Nice to meet you yet again love! ^_~ It will be a pleasure to work with you!