Annual Cel Contest 2015!! - WINNERS ANNOUNCED!!!

Important memos, notices, and updates from The Administrators.
star-phoenix
Yosutebito - Hermit

Re: Annual Cel Contest 2015!! - A Tentative Start!!

Post by star-phoenix »

I vote on Novel Set-up to be brought back..

I do wish there is a way to get on board a pre-production section because a lot of people have great model sheets/cels that deserve a place in the contest, but would not necessarily fit in any of the themed categories.
Punkxprince
Juuyaku - Executive

Post by Punkxprince »

I like the new category suggestions as well (especially monochrome and villiany!). If I had one category I would want brought back it would be the Fan Cel category. It was cut last year and I understand if there is just not any interest but I would definitely be interested if others are as well.
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

I can't do this on my iPad on the plane back from Yaoi-con... I will go over all the suggestions this week and get a new list hammered out in the meantime keep the, coming!
Krafty
Custodian of Records

Post by Krafty »

I think there are so many categories that the optional ones could be discounted. I think that of a few others too but don't want to step on any toes because they might prove to be someone's favourite.
I do like the 'Muscles' category because it's generic enough to encourage a LOT of different anime. This is one I've not submitted anything to in the past and would gladly do this time around!
Out of the gloom a voice said unto me;
"Smile and be happy, things could be worse".
So I smiled and was happy
and behold;
things did get worse...
nowherekid85
Kamisama - God

Post by nowherekid85 »

I'd be interested in the fan cel category as well.
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

Okay Ladies and Gentleman!

Here are what the revisions look like so far for the cel contest!

This is of course by no means final, but let me know if anyone else has any ideas? I am also thinking about giving everyone a month to get their entries in! What does everyone think of the new revised schedule as well?

Accessories (6)
Action (12)
Background (7)
Bishonen (9)
Bliss (6)
Blood on the Ground (6)
Femininity (5)
Funny (5)
Furries (6)
Group (7)
Hanken (4)
Heroic (8)
Itadakimasu! (8)
Love (5)
Mech and Tech (6)
Muscles (4) - This could be cut as well, but with the amount of DBZ collectors on this forum, we can do better with this category! (I vote to keep and MajinTangerine and Krafty also votes to keep)
OP/ED/Eyecatch (7)
Outfit (6)
Rage (12)
Shocked (10)
Sorrow (6)
Tomboys (5)
Tranquility (7)
OPTIONAL: Eyes On Me (8) - New last year did pretty well... ^_^
OPTIONAL: Posteriors (7) - New last year did pretty well... ^_^

Categories that were listed for last year that did not get enough entries: I would be okay with keeping these if we can get some people that would be like, we should totes keep that! ^_^
OPTIONAL: Hentai - theultimatebrucelee, Krafty, and possibly Angelic-Lair are game for entering so we would have enough for the category! Anyone else collect Hentai who would be interested?
Fan Cel - Punkxprince and nowherekid85 - WAS cut last year due to there being only one entry, and I don't have any fancels... well scratch that I have a Doujin Cel... but I'm not sure where that would fall... if you can get one other Beta member to commit to entering Fancel I would bring it back...

Possible new additions:
OPTIONAL: Sexy - Male, Female... Whatever revs your motors! - JustVan and theultimatebrucelee
Chibi or Superdeformed - Description needs help here I broke my brain! - JustVan, Jadeduo, Nowherekid85
Monochrome/Weird Coloring... Those scenes that require you to see the world through a different lense... - JustVan, Jadeduo, Majin Tangerine, Punkxprince
Villainy! - This category did pretty well in the Sketch Contest this year... Would replace Maniacal Laughter and Creepy - Nowherekid85, Majin Tangerine, Punkxprince, Jadeduo

On the Chopping Block:
Creepy (4)
Harmony (4) - On the Chopping Block to bring back next year ^_^, Cutiebunny's suggestion, Jadeduo 2nd
Maniacal Laughter (3)
OPTIONAL: A Novel Setup (3) - star-phoenix - we had like no entries for this last year... :/ it's more for like pairing cels with mismatching BGs or other mismatching cels to make something unique... One was mine of the entries I only entered so I could give an award to someone in the category it was basically just a filler... lol IF YOU can get 2 other beta members to commit to entering I would not be opposed to bringing it back.
OPTIONAL: Are They? Or, Aren't They? (3) These two can prolly go they were optional and did not attract any entries really...
OPTIONAL: Worst (Cut Last YEAR)

Proposed Schedule:
OCTOBER 1-31: Submit Entries
November 1-8: Viewing Period
November 9-30: Voting Period
Winners announced: December 15th - Depending on how much time I have I usually get this done early but just in case disaster strikes!

I've put my responses to all the chatter above. I do want to say please DON"T send me any entries yet, we have not yet finalized all the categories or the schedule. If nothing changes with the schedule I will be accepting entries starting October 1st!

I also wanted to mention in case anyone hasn't seen, the OPTIONAL categories are generally for one off/interesting categories or for things that one might be offended by. We have changed the number of entries allowed per Beta member to make the contest more interesting. So just a refresher EVERY Beta member is allowed 9 entries in the regular categories and 3 entries into any of the OPTIONAL Categories. So every beta member can send me up to 12 entries per person.

If you enter in to the optional categories you MUST vote in every category including ALL THE OPTIONAL CATEGORIES. If you just enter the main portion of the contest you just have to vote in all the regular categories!

To anyone new to the cel contest the amount of categories might seem intimidating but I have brought it down some since I've taken it over, and I have added new categories and cut ones that weren't popular or didn't have enough to get an award, the last couple years to keep it fresh and interesting every year. Our goal here is to keep the Senpai's and our Freshman interested but not intimidated each year! ^_^;;

If anyone else has any suggestions... give me a holler here! And don't be scared, I don't bite... *much* :dgrin
Last edited by Jadeduo on Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Krafty
Custodian of Records

Post by Krafty »

Cheers, Jadeduo, the schedule looks good, it's good to have several weeks for submissions, this gives time to locate the art/scan etc and gives some leighway to those who have commitments throughout the month.

I'd enter the Fan cel category if you want to keep it alive. I have 5 fan cels I could choose from so that could help if others are keen to keep it running.
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

Thanks Krafty, I will add Fan Cels to the list! I expect at least three entries peeps! ^_^ So here is the Semi-finalized list of categories with the new additions added. To see what changes were made see above in the thread ^_^ I've adjusted the schedule to give more time for entries as well as more time for voting as well as a shorter viewing period... As I only make 1 or 2 mistakes generally and it also gives peeps a chance if they don't like the way their entry came out to contact me to fix it. I am usually pretty quick about fixing stuff so more than a week is a bit of overkill.

The day before entries I will post the finalized list with descriptions this is just to layout what basic categories there will be this year! ^_^

Please let me know if there are any objections or additions peeps would like! Only a few days till Oct 1!

Semi-Finalized LIST OF CATEGORIES for the Cel Contest 2015!!!

Accessories (6)
Action (12)
Background (7)
Bishonen (9)
Bliss (6)
Blood on the Ground (6)
Chibi or Superdeformed
Femininity (5)
Funny (5)
Furries (6)
Group (7)
Hanken (4)
Heroic (8)
Itadakimasu! (8)
Love (5)
Mech and Tech (6)
Monochrome/Weird Coloring
Muscles (4)
OP/ED/Eyecatch (7)
Outfit (6)
Rage (12)
Shocked (10)
Sorrow (6)
Tomboys (5)
Tranquility (7)
Villainy!
OPTIONAL: Eyes On Me (8)
OPTIONAL: Posteriors (7)
OPTIONAL: Hentai
OPTIONAL: Fan Cel
OPTIONAL: Sexy

Proposed Schedule:
OCTOBER 1-31: Submit Entries
November 1-8: Viewing Period
November 9-30: Voting Period
Winners announced: December 15th - Depending on how much time I have I usually get this done early but just in case disaster strikes!
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

*pokes thread*

Today and tomorrow are the last days to make any additions to the category list! So make your opinions known if you got them! ^_^
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

This is going to have to be brought up either now or later, but I think that shikishi need to be included in all applicable categories instead of giving it one solo space in the sketch awards. I can understand the concern about color, so that's why I'm bringing it up now - I think colored shikishi should be in the cel awards and black/white/grey shikishi artwork in the sketch awards.
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

I'm game, what does everyone else think? Shikishi collectors feel free to sound off! I know I would love to see more art shown in the Cel and Sketch Contest!
Punkxprince
Juuyaku - Executive

Post by Punkxprince »

I agree with cutiebunny. Even though I don't own any, there are so many collectors that have awesome collections of shikishi that really need to be given a chance to be shown off. So I think it's a good idea to do color in the cel contest and black and white in the sketch.
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Post by theultimatebrucelee »

I have some artworks that are done on rectangular(more paper shape than regular shikishi shape) drawing boards that doesn't have gold color strips on 4 sides, and no artist signature, are they considered shikishi? I'm not sure what makes a shikishi, shikishi.
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

WOOT Punkxprince! Another vote for allowing Color Shikishi into the Cel contest and Black and White Shikishi into the Sketch contest...

theultimatebrucelee... I don't know if I would be qualified to answer that question specifically... Cutiebunny since this is a subject near and dear to your heart, could you elaborate? Will need a specific wording for the rules too if we are going to add this feature to the contest!

I'm hoping too that this will bring out some of our lurkers... *pokes lurkers that used to collect cels, and now collect shikishi art*
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

I think that shikishi should be broadened to "Original Artwork" as I have and usually prefer to have original sketches drawn on acid free paper. So, I would see no difference in adding artwork drawn on a shikishi board and drawn on a board, piece of paper, etc. It also opens it up to Western Comic artwork as the majority of those sketches are not drawn on shikishi boards. I would stipulate that the artwork has to be drawn by a professional animator or mangaka, not someone you found in the Artist Alley at a convention. AA artwork, IMO, should be considered fan artwork as their skill and that of a professional animator are (usually) not on the same level. As long as your artwork fits this category, TUBL, I see no problem with entering it.

There are a few positives to this inclusion; 1) It eliminates the Comic Book/Original Artwork category in the Sketch Awards, a category which has suffered from low participation and has no real judgment criteria and 2) It allows for better participation, especially in categories that routinely do not receive many entries.

I'd also want to stipulate that black/white/grey/monochrome (+ accent color) should be in the sketch awards while the full color sketches should be in the cel awards.