Anime-Beta Upgrades!

Important memos, notices, and updates from The Administrators.
Rekka Alexiel
Demon Seraph of Flames - Admin

Anime-Beta Upgrades!

Post by Rekka Alexiel »

At the beginning of July, with Magician’s help, we began the task of transferring the Anime-Beta domain to the new host server to be administered directly by the new team. The task was a massive one, as we wanted to maintain searchable access to archived posts dating back to 2002. After many fits and starts, we are now proud to announce that we have completed this move as well as upgrading to the latest version of phpBB software.

This new software expands the capabilities of Beta to include a special news page, sharing of posts and topics in social media, and an easy-to-use FAQ manager among many other new features.

In order to finish the transfer, we will need to take Beta offline for a while. If all goes to according to plan, the site will be back up sometime that same day. At present, this procedure is planned for Sunday, October 24 (USA time). More specifics will be announced as the timing of this event is finalized.

Once everything has been completed, you will need to update your bookmarks. Current passwords will be maintained without change, but on your first visit, you will need to log in manually. Then you can ask the site to remember your password and bookmark the site.

We think you will like the new look and feel of the site, and the current administrative team is eager to try out its new capabilities and make Anime-Beta more responsive to the needs and interests of collectors. Watch this forum for more details as we get closer to the move.

Thanks so much for your support and understanding through this transitioning phase.

The Anime-Beta Team
Krafty
Custodian of Records

Re: Anime-Beta Upgrades!

Post by Krafty »

Excellent; thanks for your efforts, it really makes a positive difference to the site & community.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

Nice job! Thanks for all your hard work!
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

I assume in this transition we lost the old themes? I'm looking at the default now. I'm just curious because I can't find any way to change it again, so I assume that the new version of phpBB has broken the old themes.

One other question: What does the "TNG" stand for in the "Anime-Beta TNG" title? ^^;;;; Maybe I missed something here...
bulleta
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by bulleta »

zerospace wrote:One other question: What does the "TNG" stand for in the "Anime-Beta TNG" title? ^^;;;; Maybe I missed something here...
The Next Generation? Like Star Trek. That's what I assume anyway... :D
Kaona
Shikaisha - Moderator
Shikaisha - Moderator

Post by Kaona »

bulleta wrote:
zerospace wrote:One other question: What does the "TNG" stand for in the "Anime-Beta TNG" title? ^^;;;; Maybe I missed something here...
Yes, welcome to the new Star Trek forum! Didn't you guys get the invite?

Actually, I think we went off line before anyone could come up with a clever name for the latest version, so Magician must have used TNG.
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

It looks great - thanks for all your hard work!
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

bulleta wrote:
Haha! I had not thought about that. :) Makes sense now!
Rekka Alexiel

Post by Rekka Alexiel »

zerospace wrote:I assume in this transition we lost the old themes? I'm looking at the default now. I'm just curious because I can't find any way to change it again, so I assume that the new version of phpBB has broken the old themes.
As with any sort of upgrade, somethings will be lost. If you're looking for a certain theme, please give us some time to look into this.
One other question: What does the "TNG" stand for in the "Anime-Beta TNG" title? ^^;;;; Maybe I missed something here...
I believe this is because we wanted to uphold the tradition of calling each new version of the board a numbered generation (ie. Gen2) in homage to David. The final title has yet to be determined.
jcaliff
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by jcaliff »

I still miss Cloud and his dress. :)
Image Image
Hector the Collector loved these things with all his soul,
Loved them more than shining diamonds, loved them more than glistenin' gold.
Hector called to all the people,"Come and share my treasure trunk!"
And all the silly sightless people came and looked...and called it junk.
cscratch
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by cscratch »

Super cool!! Glad to see nice mobile support.

Thank you so much to all those who worked on this! Very much appreciated :o :D :o :D
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

Rekka Alexiel wrote:
zerospace wrote:I assume in this transition we lost the old themes? I'm looking at the default now. I'm just curious because I can't find any way to change it again, so I assume that the new version of phpBB has broken the old themes.
As with any sort of upgrade, somethings will be lost. If you're looking for a certain theme, please give us some time to look into this.
No need to bring them back (unless tons of other people want them?), I was just confirming that they've been broken by the new board version. I get that some themes are just too old and don't support all the new features. I'm getting used to the new default theme, so it's OK. ;)
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

Ok the news feed icon located in the upper left of the board between the Quick links dropdown and the FAQ is now active. The news feed and set it to show the most recent 10 forum threads. Currently It is pulling from the "Please Read", "For Sale", and "Wish Lists" threads.

If there are any other sections you might want to have appear in this please either post here or send a PM to any of the Team.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
majinuub
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by majinuub »

Looks great :)
bulleta wrote:
Lol
Krafty
Custodian of Records

Post by Krafty »

I wondered if it's possible to have a greater 'saved messages' allowance? I'm at the top of my 100 Inbox limit and don't really want to delete my old messages of the last decade- they're great to look over on occasions and are good points of reference.
Thanks for reading.
Out of the gloom a voice said unto me;
"Smile and be happy, things could be worse".
So I smiled and was happy
and behold;
things did get worse...