OMG can this shipping price be right?!?!?

Auctions on eBay
Sugarflower
Senpai - Elder

OMG can this shipping price be right?!?!?

Post by Sugarflower »

I collect washi dolls and found two auctions tonight on ebay. I thought what a great starting price these loevely little dolls have but then checked out the shipping! Yipes! I hope potential bidders pay close attention to the auctions info. 8O

http://cgi.ebay.com/Japanese-Origami-Pa ... dZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/NR-Japanese-Origami ... dZViewItem
Elendil
Kamisama - God

Post by Elendil »

Well there are 3 possibilities as to why they are asking $120 for shipping.

1. Its a common tactic that I've seen with other auctions, ask pennies for the actual price and charge a horrendous amount for 'shipping', thereby skirting all of eBay's fee system.

2. Maybe the seller doesn't understand the yen to dollar conversion rate or its a typo.

3. The paper dolls are reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyy fragile? :P

Judging from their past auctions, where they asked for $15 to $24 for shipping, it makes me think that maybe its a typo and the seller used the same description for both auctions. If its intentional then its something that should be reported to ebay.

Nikki
kittens
Koneko no kenshi

Post by kittens »

You might want to ask the seller..... I think it might be typo..... So if you ask him or her then it might help the seller as well......
Cats rule!
Nene
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Nene »

To me, it looks like a circumvention of Ebay fees by listing the dolls at the cheapest possible price and then adding on huge shipping fees to make up for the cost. Perhaps they've decided to try this tactic but it's against Ebay rules nonetheless. I can't imagine they'd weigh that heavy. I think when I ordered my SNES from Japan, it didn't even cost that much for EMS. Plus, look at what they tried first before they decided they'd make more money by upping shipping and reducing the starting bid: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 7733749203
kittens
Koneko no kenshi

Post by kittens »

Aaaag..... That sounds very fishy!!! :x :x I hate some sellers do this faulty thing!!!
Cats rule!
Nene
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Nene »

I always report sellers for this sorta thing if the shipping is massively inflated and the item listed for way cheaper than its worth. Already reported those. And especially with the evidence of the previous doll, it does look very fishy. I don't like to see some sellers get away with it whilst honest ones comply with the rules. ^_^
Pomidor
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Pomidor »

Elendil wrote:Well there are 3 possibilities as to why they are asking $120 for shipping.

1. Its a common tactic that I've seen with other auctions, ask pennies for the actual price and charge a horrendous amount for 'shipping', thereby skirting all of eBay's fee system.
This is the most likely reason. Its is done by sellers on Yj *often* so i wouldnt be suprised if that practice has been porter over to eBay by this seller. Anyway I think its fair enough to do.. Im not an advocate of eBay fees and policies... and if the seller is genuine then I dont see a problem, especially if they pass some of the fee savings onto you.

SmacznyPomidor
Zag
Senpai - Elder

Post by Zag »

*reads other responses*
What, you guys don't think they're gonna ship it wrapped in watered silk, in a box of solid gold with 5 carat rubies on it?

That was my guess.... 8)
star-phoenix
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by star-phoenix »

Charging outrageous shipping prices is against Ebay policies. You know, Ebay has to have as much profit from the seller as possible and they don't get anything for shipping costs. So, the seller is avoiding having to pay more Ebay fees.