Oh my gosh - did you all know.....??

Auctions on eBay
Gonzai
Himajin - Get A Life

Oh my gosh - did you all know.....??

Post by Gonzai »

That eBay charges a fee - even on the shipping charge?
If its not bad enough that they charge a $10 final value fee
on a $125 item, along with a $.50 insertion fee, they also
charge a $.50 final value on shipping of $8.00. Throw in
the $5.00 fee that Paypal gets, and the $125 item is now
a $109 item. >_<

What the heck - I knew they always had ridiculouly high
fees before, but this is crazy. And to charge a fee on
shipping, well that is just wrong. >_<

So now I have to raise my shipping fees to cover what
they are taking (not to mention I charged short $2.00 >_<),
but now I get to deal with buyers giving me dings on my
shipping charges, because I am charging too much.
Holy crap - talk about a lose/lose situation. -_-
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Re: Oh my gosh - did you all know.....??

Post by zerospace »

Sadly, yes... I knew about this -- they sent out emails before they started charging final value fees based on shipping + ending price. X| It's a big part of the reason I went to building the cost of domestic shipping into my starting bids/buy it nows (at least then, as long as you ship within your specified time frame, you get automatic 5 star ratings). It's also the reason I rarely go beyond my 50 free listings each month, and generally wait for the free listing days to save on listing fees (they seem to do at least 1 or 2 free listing days per month).

All in all, eBay still takes a sizable chunk of my earnings, but I also made it to top-rated/power seller status a year or two ago, which gives me a 20% final value fee discount every month. If it weren't for that extra discount, I might have abandoned eBay altogether by now :P (and everytime they ask me to take a stupid survey for them, I berate them for how they treat small sellers who don't qualify for all their 'discounts').
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Post by theultimatebrucelee »

I noticed that the last time I listed auction, really don't see the benefits of charging a fee on shipping.

hope I'm not interrupting the conversation here but, I thought their used to be a lower final value fee for certain categories(5% ish)? I ask because last time I took advantage of free listing, they ended up charging a flat rate of 9% on the final value when I thought its going to be 5%..its extra money for larger auctions-_-"
Shampoo
Kiba-phile

Post by Shampoo »

Annnd this is why I stopped using ebay for sales almost 7 years ago.
Now I just post on a private webpage and advertise on forums/blogs that collect/buy
the type of items I'm selling. :wink:
ladydouji
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by ladydouji »

The extra fee on shipping may be ebay's way of dealing with the people who had low prices on items, but high shipping costs in order paying the final value fee. I also like pretty teacups and there were times I would see a fancy teacup listed for .99 but shipping was over 30$. That seems to have disappeared now.
http://www.garrod.org Main cel gallery
http://ladydouji.rubberslug.com/gallery/home.asp(doesn't have all the old cels yet, but all new cels are being posted here)
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

Yeah. Basically the eBay/Paypal fee combo is 12% of your auction+shipping total. :?
tex-chan
Bish Mistress

Post by tex-chan »

Ugh. That totally sucks. I haven't sold on ebay in ages and would be totally lost with all the rule changes that have happened since then. It definitely makes me reluctant to sell much of anything. *becomes even more of a hoarder*
majinuub
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by majinuub »

Yea I learned that during my last batch of auctions. I'm just glad I only post on there to clear out things I want to get rid of.
star-phoenix
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by star-phoenix »

Did you know they have implemented the 21 day HOLD of your funds in Paypal?
If you have a seller account that sells less than 25 items for 6 months (I think this is the cut off criteria), they can hold your funds for UP TO 21 days after a buyer pays (in case the buyer files a SNAD or item not received). You would get the funds sooner if you give them a tracking # that shows proof of delivery to the location. Then, it will be released something like 3 business days after.
This apparently started a month or so ago. I have not sold much on Ebay since then. So, have not yet experienced this myself. But, I am reading a lot of angry complaints about this new rule from Ebay sellers.
animeobsessed
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by animeobsessed »

I found that out a few months ago when I listed a few things on ebay. It sucks. It didn't end up being 21 days if you send your packages they their USPS website, but it still was annoying especially when you expect the money to be available right away and it isn't.
(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
(")_(")domination.
ToriPagac
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by ToriPagac »

its why friends of mine use yardseller now i haven't used it myself to sell just buy stuff and i sell everything that i can sell on amazon on amazon their fees suck too butn they dont double ding you