SabanMoon Sailor Moon Artwork

Auctions on eBay
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

SabanMoon Sailor Moon Artwork

Post by cutiebunny »

Poking around E-bay tonight, I saw an auction for a cel and some sketches done for Toon Makers/Saban's version of Sailor Moon.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sailor-Moon-Ani ... 51a2f1163b

Some of you might be familiar with the story, but I'll keep it short for those who aren't. Basically, back in the early 1990s, Saban wanted to release SM in the US, but was worried that the original might be too much for a US audience to handle. Their initial idea was to make SM a partial animation and live-action show. Here's the video -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS027mYtRu8

I think it would be kinda novel to own something from this horrendous production, but not for a $499 price tag, and especially, not of such a small drawing.
Attachments
a1.jpg
a1.jpg (48.23 KiB) Viewed 1593 times
Starfighter
Eiyuu - Hero

Re: SabanMoon Sailor Moon Artwork

Post by Starfighter »

I think it would be interesting as well to own maybe 30 at the most. the cel is rather small and the Us sailor moon was so bad people were laughing big time . that cel might sell but not to any of us because we know better. thanks cutie for bringing it up. I was just checking e-bay and figured I would post about it and you beat me to the punch .

starfighter
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

Looks like the same seller has now posted cels of SabanMoon's kitty, "Lunamis".

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sailor-Moon-Ani ... 51a2f4567d

Hmm...wonder if we'll finally be able to answer the burning question of which Sailor Senshi was designated as the one in the wheelchair? The theory is it's either Venus or Jupiter, but with the original video, it's hard to tell. There's a girl that looks like Mars in red, an Asian looking girl with darker skin wearing a hideous shade of yellow and another that wears blue/purple.

I'd totally love to get one of SabanMoon riding the Moon Cycle for the novelty of it. Or maybe when she flings her tiara at the monster.
logorzat
Kamisama - God

Post by logorzat »

Wow that show would have been terrible. I'm glad they never went through with it. :bow
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

^Did you check out the auction they had for the script? The seller took a few pics of it and it's really bad.

Still hoping to see more auctions of the Inner Senshi.
pixie_princess
Kamisama - God

Post by pixie_princess »

I've been keeping an eye on these out of curiosity since they first listed. They are priced quite insanely though. For some odd reason I keep thinking Thundercats (must be the space ships / interstellar travel). The very sad thing about this is if I had seen this back in the very early 90's I might have actually liked it, and that scares me. I did notice that the script had only 6 numbered pages (1-5, 7) a close up of one of the other pages, and a last page with about a paragraph on it. I am curious about what else they might bring out. It gives a good insight into what might have been (and thankfully wasn't).
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

^Yeah, this version reminds me of She-Ra. SabanMoon looks too similiar to her. I don't know if I would have liked it when it aired in 1994 or 1995; I was spoiled after years of watching Animaniacs and got accustomed to what a good cartoon should be.

The winner of the Inner Saban Senshi and the script is a member of one of the forums I visit, and he's mentioned that he'll be putting the script online once he receives it. Once he does, I'll post a link here so everyone can read it.

I thought it was interesting that SM attack sequence closely mirrored the Japanese one. SabanMoon takes her tiara off and it becomes a discus just like the one in Japan.

I agree with you on the price though - $500 for 4 cels from a production that has become the joke of US SM fans is far too much. $100 for a funky shot of SabanMoon's kitty, "Lunamis"...no thanks.
usamamo
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by usamamo »

Ummm..... that was just weird to watch. What the! :?
" I'm Usagi Tsukino, 16 years old...in the first year of high school. I'm a bit rash and a crybaby...but, I'm actually an agent of love and justice....pretty Sailor Soldier, Sailor Moon"
ginga123
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by ginga123 »

horrible!! hahaha
Ginga’s Anime Galactica
Making Bold Look Beautiful since 2005
www.gag.rubberslug.com

“I pretended to be somebody I wanted to be until finally I became that person. Or (s)he became me.”—Cary Grant
BuraddoRun
Kamisama - God

Post by BuraddoRun »

I picked up a few cels from it. Check out my gallery if you want to see them. If you're curious, I paid $20 for each of them. The one with the sketch came from the seller that has a bunch but is charging quite a bit for most. The others came from another seller who gives original backgrounds with them, though they aren't matching. I asked him, and he said he got a bunch in a lot and had no idea which backgrounds went with which cels, so he just went by looks when picking them out. There's still some up on EBAY if any of you guys are interested.
"Come now, let us reason together," says the LORD. "Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool." -Isaiah 1:18
Frosty
Anime Geek

Post by Frosty »

I only find the expensive cels without BG on eBay ... do you have a link to the other seller? Thank's!
It's Better to Burn Out than to Fade Away!
BuraddoRun
Kamisama - God

Post by BuraddoRun »

Frosty wrote:I only find the expensive cels without BG on eBay ... do you have a link to the other seller? Thank's!
Sure, here's one of his auctions:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sailor-Moon-Car ... 564f7d7cdc
"Come now, let us reason together," says the LORD. "Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool." -Isaiah 1:18
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

In case none of you have seen this, the owner of the SabanMoon script auction scanned the script and put it online for everyone to read.

http://sailormoonnews.com/2012/11/02/co ... er-script/

Just a warning....it's *really* bad. Cast away all hope here, because with lines like "To the Vortex...and beyond oblivion!", the US dub is starting to look better by the second.