Question about a Seller

Auctions on eBay
Rekka Alexiel
Demon Seraph of Flames - Admin

Question about a Seller

Post by Rekka Alexiel »

Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone has had experience with the eBay user dq_21?

They were selling some pretty rare cels from Samurai Troopers that I was interested in, but their prices were pretty high. I originally contacted them to ask if they could accept partial payments but I received no response for well over a week, maybe more. Their listings had an auction length of a month long as opposed to the typical 1 week time limit. So, I still had a long time to think it over until the auction ended.

Eventually the user contacted me and said that partial payments would be fine and so I went ahead and put in a bid for the full amount, which I would pay in two installments. Later I thought that I could send the whole payment at once, and so I did via Paypal. With auction won and paid for I heard little from the seller in 2 weeks. I again contacted the seller to ask whether or not the item has been shipped (in the auction description it says that shipments are usually sent out within 2-3 days). I again heard nothing from the seller. The following day I wrote again, and being a little to the point, I told them that I would continue to write until I heard a response and would be contacting eBay should they continue to ignore my messages.

Quickly after that I received a response that basically said that they were busy working 12 hour shifts and being mom, which I can entirely understand since my schedule, too, can be quite crazy. They also said that they would check out the status of this auction since they didn't remember receiving the payment. o_O

Two days later, I received another reply that said they were called into work for the past 3 days and have not been able to send the shipment out. They said that eBay/Paypal should have sent me a tracking/shipping number, noting that they were not sure how eBay/Paypal did that.

What struck me here was that...
1.) Typically you aren't given a tracking number until AFTER it's been shipped, right? You can't logically track something that has not yet been shipped.
2.) This user has more than 2000 feedback messages, 100% of them positive. I'm curious how someone could wrack up this number of positive feedback and still not know how eBay or Paypal automatically sends messages to buyers. Of course, this is assuming this user has ever been a seller before and not simply a buyer all the time.
3.) They said nothing about whether or not my Paypal payment actually went through when they didn't remember receiving it in the first place. lol

So now I am still waiting to hear when this item has been shipped. I'm getting more and more afraid as time goes by. If anyone has dealt with this user before, I'd love to hear how your experience was. When all the feedback is positive and seems to send things out quickly, I'm a bit worried. Not that life can't change and make things difficult, but... :?
Kasi
Juuyaku - Executive

Re: Question about a Seller

Post by Kasi »

I'd be worried too given the lengths of time it's taking the seller to even contact you, for what I assume is quite an expensive item.
Being busy is one thing, but with 2000 positive Ebay transactions surely they don't normally operate like this.

As for the tracking number, if it's prepaid I believe they would know it already before shipping.

How long has it been since you last heard something from them?
teggacat
Senpai - Elder

Post by teggacat »

sounds like total BS to me, I can fully understand being busy, arent we all?? I do sell on ebay, work full time, mom & housewife etc, my schedule is extremely full, however if I choose to sell on ebay it is also part of my "work" and buyers must be treated respectfully and prompt action to ship as soon as possible after being paid, if you are too busy then Don't Sell! Please keep us posted how things turn out, hopefully things will work out for you, and not to worry too much, ebay is very strict with their sellers, if you dont hear or receive your cel you will certainly be able to recoup your money
[but do check the location of the seller, alot of east coast US is still w/o power which does make things difficult]
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

Does this seller have retracted feedback? I'd worry about that, if they do.

I can see how she'd have a tracking number without sending the parcel. If she prints postage online, it'll print delivery confirmation and send you an e-mail with the number...but she could then not take the parcel to the actual post office for several days.

But yeah...I'd definitely give this person low scores on their detailed feedback when you get the cels.
Rekka Alexiel

Post by Rekka Alexiel »

I just heard back from the seller a little while ago and they provided a tracking number via USPS. When I look at the information for this tracking number at the Web site, this is what it says:
Your Item's Status The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper on November 03, 2012 to expect your package for mailing. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date. Delivery status information will be provided if / when available. Please be advised tracking is not available for this product. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.
So it sounds like perhaps she is using printable tracking labels?? She said that she mailed it, but according to this status update on the Web site, the actual post office has not received it yet, right? I'll check it again tomorrow and see if it's simply an issue of updating the status on the server, but I would think tracking systems are pretty quick to update.

And why does it say tracking information is not available for this item!??! I'm getting very confused...

The user has no retracted feedback as far as I can tell. Everything seems OK, which is why I am baffled I'm having issues with this transaction. Do you think it's because I live in Japan? The item description says that the seller will ship worldwide, so... And the user is in CA, so she's not experiencing any lasting effects from Superstorm Sandy. :p Maybe she just got busy and forgot to send it out, then didn't want to say that she "forgot". I'd rather that than be told other things. :p
Kasi
Juuyaku - Executive

Post by Kasi »

I usually find tracking information is only updated once or twice a day, so I wouldn't be too worried about the status 'tracking is not available for this item'. If it has been posted, I'd expect this should be updated within a day. Once it crosses to Japan, check the tracking on JapanPost as USPS won't update as frequently once it's left the country.

Whatever her reason is, her given story doesn't seem quite right. Whenever I've had a seller ship very late it's usually been a serious reason (family death/illness etc), or the seller's have been honest that they had forgotten. When I end up shipping things more than a week late due to 'simply being busy', I'll offer a refund on the shipping cost.
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

Rekka - what shipping option did you choose?

Unless you chose regular Priority (not flat rate, except Large Flat Rate) or EMS, there will be no tracking on the item. So if it was sent 1st class or flat rate envelope, you won't get tracking.
Rekka Alexiel

Post by Rekka Alexiel »

I didn't really have an option for shipping. She sent it USPS First Class Mail. So then there will be no tracking for that, right? Why would she say that it has tracking if it doesn't? And would that be why the USPS site said tracking is not available for this shipment?
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

Yep. First Class International cannot be tracked or insured. :\
If these cels are as expensive as you said, I find this a VERY weird shipping options for her to have chosen, since it also does not offer her ANY seller protection through eBay or Paypal (they only offer full protection on tracked shipments).
Rekka Alexiel

Post by Rekka Alexiel »

It wasn't too terribly expensive, just a bit difficult for me at the moment. She's apparently sold many other cels in the past, so hopefully she knows what she's doing and hasn't shipped the cel crappy. As long as it makes it to me in one piece, undamaged, I don't care.
Last edited by Rekka Alexiel on Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Post by theultimatebrucelee »

I think USPS usually update tracking info every night before midnight. for international shipment it might take a few days to get any update at all sometimes. since tracking number cannot be purchased for international first class mail and she somehow, is providing you with a tracking number, it'd prably be good to contact the seller and make sure the method of shipment and get things straighten out and make sure sellers not just stalling for the 45 day paypal refund time.

maybe the seller has shipped your packaged as priority mail instead. if that's the case then instead of tracking number, the post office will provide a custom number which will be updated less frequently compared to tracking number, or sometimes no update at all until it arrives in the other country.

also with the feedback, even though against the policy. it'd be possible for a family member or a close relative or friend to share one account or borrowing account for the high feedback. so if things are this off, I'd be suspicious about this seller.
Rekka Alexiel

Post by Rekka Alexiel »

Yeah, if I don't get anything within a couple days of the 45day limit, I will contact eBay. Apparently the number she gave me was a SHIPPING number, not a TRACKING number... :/

Anyway, I'll update here when something else becomes known. In the meantime, ppl be a little weary of this seller.
teggacat
Senpai - Elder

Post by teggacat »

if she sent your cel using USPS 1st Class International the number could possibly be the customs form#, which is usually trackable until it leaves the US, maybe she used Global Priority instead since she was running so late, then the customs form number is fully trackable until you receive it, but Global Pri is alot more costly than 1st Inter.......Good Luck and I hope you get your cel soon!
Rekka Alexiel

Post by Rekka Alexiel »

Thanks everyone who helped advise me on this. I just checked the status of the shipment tonight and got this info:

Your item departed our <location> sort facility on November 06, 2012.

She told me she sent it out Saturday, Nov. 3rd.... X|