USPS shipping to Germany - question

Auctions on eBay
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

USPS shipping to Germany - question

Post by zerospace »

Anyone have much experience shipping to Germany via USPS First Class? I shipped a package in early June (June 3), and it has not yet arrived. Of course, I'm talking about First Class, which technically has no tracking information, but it does show that it left the USA via Los Angeles on June 7, and that's the last of the info (which doesn't surprise me -- I figure it may or may not ever show entering customs in Germany).

This same buyer says they have another package from the USA which says that the item cleared customs and is being held, addressee being notified, and yet it seems he has not received anything yet. I urged him/her to contact his local postal folks, because it seems that both packages have left the USA and that USPS won't be able to help (he/she said he contacted USPS). I've read some horror stories on Etsy and other sites about stuff taking weeks or months to enter and emerge from German customs, and I was a bit floored. Is this really a common problem, or could I be looking at something a bit out of the ordinary?

I'd like to think that this nearly-a-month trip is a bit long, but perhaps customs is backlogged? *shrug* It's been a long time since I shipped anything to Germany, and I don't recall ever having a serious problem, but I'm not usually shipping via First Class, either. This wasn't an expensive item, so I don't mind offering a refund, but still, I was hoping perhaps someone here had more recent experience.
Goldknight
RULER

Re: USPS shipping to Germany - question

Post by Goldknight »

I don't know if it's a Germany thing, I think it's a First Class thing. I ran into issues with First Class to several international destinations in the past year. Even registered First Class! The time frame I ran into for delivery was 1-3months. No kidding. Obviously the buyers are angry and scared and I was furious because USPS was of no help. The tracked using the customs number and in cases of Registered, used that tracking number, but as you've said. Once it leaves the US, it's out of their hands. Sucks really. Luckily all the packages eventually arrived.
"Life can only be lived looking forward. It is understood when looking backwards" - Hadji From Real Adventures of Jonny Quest
Gold Knight's Cel Gallery - Rubberslug

meewchan
Anime Geek

Post by meewchan »

Packages take up to 6 weeks to arrive. Large packages can take up to 8 weeks. It's not a new-new thing.. anyone in Germany who gets packages on a regular basis knows it's a bit a wait. Ever since USPS stopped the option to send by ship, the transit has slowly significantly. German customs inspects almost everything (just go through Frankfurt airport, heh) and they don't mind backlogged ports.
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

Oh good.. thanks. I'll ask my buyer to wait at least 6 weeks then, before doing anything :). Luckily the person is being nice -- it's ME who's getting nervous! :rollin
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Post by theultimatebrucelee »

Off topic slightly and sorry for hijacking the thread, but does anyone know if its still possible to ship first class mail to germany, and if there is a price calculator? I can't find the option on USPS.com.
meewchan
Anime Geek

Post by meewchan »

theultimatebrucelee wrote:Off topic slightly and sorry for hijacking the thread, but does anyone know if its still possible to ship first class mail to germany, and if there is a price calculator? I can't find the option on USPS.com.
There is no First Class or Economy (aka "ship") shipping option for Germany. It was removed about a year or two ago. Your only options are priority internation or express international. I wouldn't waste the extra $20+ to ship express since the time difference is usually only a few days and sometimes priority arrives before express.

You can get an estimate for shipping at http://postcalc.usps.com/ and selecting Germany as the destination.
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

meewchan wrote:
theultimatebrucelee wrote:Off topic slightly and sorry for hijacking the thread, but does anyone know if its still possible to ship first class mail to germany, and if there is a price calculator? I can't find the option on USPS.com.
There is no First Class or Economy (aka "ship") shipping option for Germany. It was removed about a year or two ago. Your only options are priority internation or express international. I wouldn't waste the extra $20+ to ship express since the time difference is usually only a few days and sometimes priority arrives before express.

You can get an estimate for shipping at http://postcalc.usps.com/ and selecting Germany as the destination.
What? If that's true, how did I just ship First Class to Germany last month? I know you can't print online labels for First Class via any means other than eBay or something like endicia or stamps.com, but .....

EDIT: Ok, the USPS shipping calculator still shows me rates for everything including First Class. All you have to do is go to USPS.com, hover over "ship a package" and then choose "calculate a price". Pick Germany from the destination list and enter your package info. First Class is automatically collapsed on the list of options, but its there. You just can't print a label online for it -- there are only Post Office counter prices available. At least that's what I'm seeing.
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Post by theultimatebrucelee »

Thanks guys! actually ended up figuring out why its not showing...my package is more than the first class 4 lb weight limit. I put in a random weight to check the price and it turns out, unlike the huge price difference for domestic package, international first class is almost as expensive as priority. In fact, if item fits in a small box or videotape box, shipping in priority flat rate is actually a lot cheaper than first class which does not offer flat rate box.