Does anyone else cringe when they see this?

Auctions on eBay
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Does anyone else cringe when they see this?

Post by zerospace »

So there's this seller on eBay that makes me cringe everytime I see his/her listings. If I'd have realized who the other bidder on YJ was, I would have bid higher just to prevent this from happening. (I was the 2nd highest bidder) :badass

http://page5.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/e160726636

And here are the cels on eBay less than a week later:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GUNDAM-WING-HEE ... 1801492056
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GUNDAM-WING-TRO ... 1801490405
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GUNDAM-WING-TRO ... 0982475476
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GUNDAM-WING-DUO ... 0982473842
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GUNDAM-WING-DUO ... 0982473225
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GUNDAM-WING-TRE ... 1801478724
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GUNDAM-WING-REL ... 0982479085

That should be almost the entire lot that was on YJ. The $499 Trowa cel is my personal fav, because that was the main one I was interested in from the lot.

This just kills me... it really does. Was anyone here the Rinkya bidder on the lot? How do you feel seeing those prices on eBay?
teggacat
Senpai - Elder

Re: Does anyone else cringe when they see this?

Post by teggacat »

oh yes………
seen this seller do this a lot!!!
I got outbid on YJ on a Kiki's Delivery Service cel, it ended up going for around forty bucks,
it really wasn't that great of a cel,
then very quickly on ebay asking $250……
urbantreasurehunterjapan…………
makes me crazy……
I have nothing against making a quick buck, called capitalism,
however, this is over the top not cool….
have seen it happen several other times from this seller as well…... :( :( :(
yes, I am cringing with you Zero
Goldknight
RULER

Post by Goldknight »

I hear ya. That person is pulling that with a variety of series. :roll:
"Life can only be lived looking forward. It is understood when looking backwards" - Hadji From Real Adventures of Jonny Quest
Gold Knight's Cel Gallery - Rubberslug

Kasi
Juuyaku - Executive

Post by Kasi »

This has really been bothering me too.
Recently I was in a bidding war with them and was surprised to find how competitive they were for the cels I was after.
I have never seen their cels on Ebay (of this particular series) sell for the prices they're asking for. It doesn't make much sense to me, all they have is a collection of cels for sale at prices no one is willing to pay.
jenn-b
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by jenn-b »

Now I wish I had bid more on that lot as well. Good luck selling those pieces at that price asshat!

Once a Bleach Whore...always a Bleach Whore

"Looks like you're on the ass end of an ass-kickin'" the All-Powerful Bender
MisterChau

Post by MisterChau »

I see this happening weekly or even daily. I see something on YJ or another Japanese website for sale and then within a week of someone buying it at a fair price it doubles and triples in price when it hits the western market. One time I called a guy out on his poor practice of this on ebay, and he then threw profanities at me and said no one would ever know these existed if it weren't for me and things along those lines. Yes, I do understand if you order from Japan and want to sell to a Western market there will be a little mark up for shipping and to make a small profit, but some of these people are too greedy and over inflating the western market. Personally, I only buy directly from Japan, or from other collectors. Western buying sites are so hilariously over inflated I don't see how people can justify buying from them.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

I remember, years ago, one of these sellers had purchased a cel from a private seller after they announced their prices for certain Sailor Moon cels they were selling. The person who bought it is a rather notorious re-seller, listing the items at 2x what he paid. After a year of it not moving, I offered to pay exactly what he paid for the cel and his initial shipping, but he wouldn't budge. I think the cel is still up there on E-bay...

I've also told my collecting friends not to buy on items from him. I'd rather send them YJ and Mandarake listings for things that they're interested in buying.

While a detestable practice, all you can is make sure you don't buy from these re-sellers.
animeobsessed
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by animeobsessed »

jenn-b wrote:Now I wish I had bid more on that lot as well. Good luck selling those pieces at that price asshat!

Ditto!!
(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
(")_(")domination.
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

Thanks, guys! I'm SO glad that I'm not alone here! This seller has been bothering me for just about ever now, but this time it just really irked me, seeing that price on the Trowa cel. $499. And he'll probably put it on "sale" for 399. And some unsuspecting buyer will make him an offer for over 300 and buy it. Grrrr....

I wish there was a way to put these kinds of jerks out of business. I understand making a bit of cash because you're willing to do the import/export and you know the value of things, but THIS?! This is insane. He has cels from GW on eBay that have been there for years now -- and he has minimum offers set (I tried offering him what he paid for one of his space leo cels a LONG time ago after I forgot to bid before the YJ auction ended). The total markup on this particular lot is nearly 1000x. That's disgusting. But it seems to be his M.O. -- 1000x markup. The space leo cel I offered on ended at around 1000 yen on YJ and he wants $100 for it on eBay. PLUS SHIPPING. ARGH!

Jenn-b & AO -- I figured SOMEONE else here had to be bidding on that lot. I'm with both of ya -- wish I had bid more. Much, much more. Now I know his YJ userID, so perhaps for all things GW, I'll make his life hell. If he's gonna mark 'em up, maybe I'll bid him up, ensuring he'll NEVER sell them for his usual 1000x markup on eBay. :evilblk
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

Ugh so irritating, maybe I need to start stalking YJ for GW again, although just watching SM and CCS has been making me poor.

:/

This has been happening more and more lately it's no bueno!

JD
GoalieZero
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by GoalieZero »

I tried to save those beauties with a bid too, zerospace ( I actually was hoping you had won it!) and lo and behold they show up on eBay a half week later under that guy's account.

That seller does sometimes pop up cels that didn't appear on YJ! (probably local shops etc) but the markups are insane, so much that even the 25% discount he puts after 3-4 days is still usually 100-300% more than he paid for them. They usually go after low bid or multiple cel auctions too, which kind of takes the fun out of bargain cel hunting. Not too mention flooding the market on eBay with overpriced cels is annoying when you try and sell your own for a fair price.

Just some guy in it for the money. Grumbles...
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

GoalieZero wrote:I tried to save those beauties with a bid too, zerospace ( I actually was hoping you had won it!) and lo and behold they show up on eBay a half week later under that guy's account.

That seller does sometimes pop up cels that didn't appear on YJ! (probably local shops etc) but the markups are insane, so much that even the 25% discount he puts after 3-4 days is still usually 100-300% more than he paid for them. They usually go after low bid or multiple cel auctions too, which kind of takes the fun out of bargain cel hunting. Not too mention flooding the market on eBay with overpriced cels is annoying when you try and sell your own for a fair price.

Just some guy in it for the money. Grumbles...
And funny enough, I'd hoped that the bidder who outbid me was one of the other GW collectors around here or a black-hole collector in Japan. *sigh* Oh, well. Like I said, next time, I'll bid more JUST BECAUSE. :D I have the $$ to spend since I barely buy artwork (picky), and I haven't bought a new smartphone/tablet/computer in almost a year (the 2 places most of my $$ goes nowadays). I just was being cheap with this lot (don't ask me why, I just was). Figures. X|

Perhaps if enough of us collectors who actually HAVE YJ accounts (or deputy services) start bidding that jerk up on YJ and/or Mandarake (he also buys stuff on Mandarake auctions and re-sells it), then maybe he'll back off a little? ^^;;;

GoalieZero: If you see a YJ username that starts with "z" bidding on GW stuff, it's probably me. I have my own ID. My feedback is somewhere in the 80s or low 90s. ;)
JustVan
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by JustVan »

Ugh, I don't mind buying and reselling on average. I've done it before (though usually in a "I like this cel, but I just bought a cel I REALLY like and need to make money to pay for it..." way), and I've also bought lots where I REALLY wanted one or two cels and thus resold the rest. But damn the mark up on some of those. I have a Trowa cel from that exact sequence and I can guarantee you I didn't pay near that price for it. Granted I got mine in 2000 and GW cel prices have fluctuated a lot in that time, but not THAT much. The mark up just seems so wrong.

That cel is probably worth $100-150 if you ask me. $200 if you're being greedy. I don't get the purpose of buying/reselling if you're not even going to price them at an amount that would move the cels. He'd recoup his expenses much faster that way too...

Just sad and frustrating. On one hand I "get it." This is how all cel dealers have always worked--buy cheap in Japan and resell high in online English stores/conventions--only now we can see it happening due to YJ. So in theory I'm "okay" with some degree of buying/reselling. But the mark up seems so over-the-top excessive.
JustVan's Cels: Unico, Escaflowne, Ranma ½, DBZ & more.
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

JustVan wrote:Ugh, I don't mind buying and reselling on average. I've done it before (though usually in a "I like this cel, but I just bought a cel I REALLY like and need to make money to pay for it..." way), and I've also bought lots where I REALLY wanted one or two cels and thus resold the rest. But damn the mark up on some of those. I have a Trowa cel from that exact sequence and I can guarantee you I didn't pay near that price for it. Granted I got mine in 2000 and GW cel prices have fluctuated a lot in that time, but not THAT much. The mark up just seems so wrong.

That cel is probably worth $100-150 if you ask me. $200 if you're being greedy. I don't get the purpose of buying/reselling if you're not even going to price them at an amount that would move the cels. He'd recoup his expenses much faster that way too...

Just sad and frustrating. On one hand I "get it." This is how all cel dealers have always worked--buy cheap in Japan and resell high in online English stores/conventions--only now we can see it happening due to YJ. So in theory I'm "okay" with some degree of buying/reselling. But the mark up seems so over-the-top excessive.
I agree with you completely. Personally, I'm not a fan of strict re-sellers (meaning those who only buy to resell, and I've never been terribly tolerant of these -- but I do what I can, which is to not support them), but I get why they do it. However, the markup on these is insane. And pretty much every cel I see go from YJ or Mandarake to eBay by this seller has about the same markup -- somewhere around 1000x the original cost. It's crazy. And many of the cels just sit there on eBay for extremely long periods of time. *sigh* AND.. he/she won't even accept more reasonable offers, either! They are set to be auto-declined by the Best Offer system. It's just really, really, really annoying to see a cel that should cost (and we agree here) $200 at most be listed for $500 when they bought the entire LOT of cels for about $250 USD.
Angelic-Lair
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Angelic-Lair »

It's tough to see them reselling the ENTIRE lot, piece by piece. We've bought lots and resold what we didn't want from them, but we usually keep a lot of what's included in the lots. We bought them because we were interested in them, and not just from a resale point of view.

Having said that, folks are always free to do what they want with stuff they own. And no one likes being told what to do with their stuff. ;)