Uexpected problems with someone I've bought from before

Auctions on eBay
jcaliff
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Uexpected problems with someone I've bought from before

Post by jcaliff »

I recently bought a cel on ebay from a seller that I've dealt with many times in the past. He's had his ups and downs in terms of shipping and things like mismatched backgrounds and stuff, but in general I haven't had any problems. With backgrounds, he's never claimed that the backgrounds were matching pieces, but everything I've received in the past has at least been a real background and some of them I've been able to match up to the correct scenes. The latest cel I bought, the listing claimed it was a "hand-painted background" just like always, but when I received it yesterday it was a photocopy. :( That's pretty much where I draw the line in terms of mislabeling, since it's a pretty big difference. The cel itself is great and I've already identified the exact scene and made a screepcap. :)

I wrote him a message through ebay, but he hasn't responded yet. Granted, it's only been one day, but I'm really annoyed. I am tempted to leave something in the feedback, but I want to give him a chance to let me know what's going on first. I know he sells a lot of stuff, and I'm hoping that he just hadn't looked that close or hadn't bothered to update the generic sales text he uses, but it also makes me question whether to bid on another cel he's currently got up for auction and whether that background is real or not. I also sent him a message about that one and I hope he will verify whether it's real or not.

This is the first time he's sold anything I want in a few months, so I was happy to see him start selling again, but disappointed that it's not what it was represented to be. I wanted to get your options on this. Are there any other steps I should take if he doesn't respond? Would you take a chance on the other cel?
Image Image
Hector the Collector loved these things with all his soul,
Loved them more than shining diamonds, loved them more than glistenin' gold.
Hector called to all the people,"Come and share my treasure trunk!"
And all the silly sightless people came and looked...and called it junk.
Angelic-Lair
Kishin - Fierce God

Re: Uexpected problems with someone I've bought from before

Post by Angelic-Lair »

If it's a high-volume seller, I would guess they simply didn't check the item prior to listing it. I'm sure I've done it in the past. These days, I try to physically check things before listing them in order to avoid problems, but I can see why others might not if they've got a lot of stuff to go through.

My advice? If you're really interested in the cel, bid on it knowing that the background might not be original or matching. If however the background is what makes the piece for you, consider not bidding until you can get verification from the seller. ^_^
teggacat
Senpai - Elder

Post by teggacat »

i would not leave crappy feedback until you have had communication with him, like you said its only been a day so i'd relax a tad here, probably an honest mistake/overlook, still doesn't make it okay and while I really do get your frustration here you need to give the seller a chance to respond and a chance to make it right for you, if you don't get any satisfaction you can always use the ebay claim route, ebay always sides on the side of the buyer……….
jcaliff
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by jcaliff »

Well, I've heard back from him and he claims that he made a mistake in the listing. But he didn't offer to do anything about it, which kind of ticks me off. Basically, "oops, my bad". I don't know. I think I'm just not going to leave any feedback at all.
Image Image
Hector the Collector loved these things with all his soul,
Loved them more than shining diamonds, loved them more than glistenin' gold.
Hector called to all the people,"Come and share my treasure trunk!"
And all the silly sightless people came and looked...and called it junk.
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

I think neutral would be appropriate.
jenn-b
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by jenn-b »

I'm actually sort-of in the same boat. I purchased a wishlist cel off of a Beta member some time ago. I was then told that one of the layers clearly shown in their scan was missing...they were in the process of moving and would find it when things settled down. I was more than happy to wait...and more than happy to keep working with a buyer that I had great success with in the past.

Cue to six months from the start and still no message. I wrote the seller asking if they had found the layer. No response. Move to a year ahead. Message again. Still no response.

The seller recently contacted me asking input on pricing of some items they were selling. I happily responded with my thoughts as well as a request for the missing layer. Guess what?!?! NO RESPONSE.

I am generally a patient person but I am seriously starting to get pissed off about this situation.

Once a Bleach Whore...always a Bleach Whore

"Looks like you're on the ass end of an ass-kickin'" the All-Powerful Bender