Question about bidding practices

Auctions on eBay

How do you bid on auctions?

I bid right away, and if I get outbid, I'll keep bidding small amounts as the auction goes along.
5%
I put in a small bid to let people know "Hey, I'm here and going to win this damn thing" - and then bid big at the very end.
27%
I'm a total sniper! I wait til the very last possible second and bid big.
59%
I place my max bid as soon as I see the auction.
9%

Total votes: 22

Wolfette
Himajin - Get A Life
Location: Fawning at Bakura's feet *worship* AnimeBeta's resident rabid Shota fangirl :)

Question about bidding practices

Post by Wolfette »

Ok, I've always wondered about peoples bidding habits on auctions.

For example, this one person I constantly see place a starter bid on auctions. S/he gets outbid, and bids again (and again and again if necessary) until they are, once again, the high bidder. And this is NOT some newbie - they have more than 900 feedback showing. o_O

WHY do people do this? Honestly, I'm curious... why not place a small bid at the beginning - and if you get outbid .... let it go until just before the auction ends!!! >_< Trust me, you'll save money in the long run! You won't have newbie bidders walking your bids up .50 at a time til they outbid you. =P (I hate those people!!! >_<)

As a sometimes seller I shouldn't be voicing that I guess .. but seriously! Even from the time I was a newbie, the most I'd do is place a small bid at the very very beginning of an auction. Then when it comes to the close I sniper it. :P Most of the time, I don't even do that much now - I just set the sniper program as soon as I see the auction - it's set to bid in the last 5-10 seconds and I forget it until the auctions over. I don't get caught up in "auction fever" and spend more than I really wanted also,

Anyway... just curious what everyone elses style is ... and if you're so inclined, comment on WHY you bid the way you do.
Last edited by Wolfette on Wed Mar 12, 2003 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Some fav YouTube fan music videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98qEvSXe5wc - Heroes - Sylar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIDCP5t3y3E Prison Break - Mahone and T-Bag (William Fichtner and Robert Knepper)

World of Warcraft Battletag: Wolfette#1822
dbzmomma
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by dbzmomma »

I used to snipe. But lately I've been bidding right away because I hate to bid against anyone I know. That's probably dumb, because it's every man for himself when it comes down to it. But still...

So I figure if I bid right away, then I don't have to risk making someone else angry. On the other hand, it doesn't bother me to be outbid by a friend. Go figure. :shrug
Vicci

Grand Reopening of Momma's Addiction Rubberslug Gallery!
super17
Kamisama - God

Post by super17 »

i bid first on the listed price :D, wen i get outbidded i wait till last min
but some auctions i wait till last, n dont bid on them till the end,

ya it annoys aswell wen ppl keep biddin wen they get outbidded, damn
the price gets jacked, so it pisses me off, i jack it up higher for them :evil:

i was lookin @ some cels on ebay, i emailed the bidders sayin, why the fuck
u guys bid so ealry n jack the price, in return i got dissed by sayin oh u cant afford it
which pissed me off n then i outbidded the bidder, waited for him to outbid me
then wen i got outbidded, i retracted my bid, there his bid is still high, well
over what i bidded, so @ end i will jack up the price for him :evil: he really ticked me off

Super17
pastatdude
The Drunken Master

Post by pastatdude »

This one is mine:
I put in a small bid to let people know "Hey, I'm here and going to win this damn thing" - and then bid big at the very end.
I do this on auctions that I really really want. If it's an auction that I'm not quite as obsessed with, I'll just watch the auction and bid at the very end.
Booze disappearing is a law of nature.

.:PD Blog:.
Wolfette
Himajin - Get A Life
Location: Fawning at Bakura's feet *worship* AnimeBeta's resident rabid Shota fangirl :)

Post by Wolfette »

pastatdude wrote:I do this on auctions that I really really want
Actually, I do this too. On the ones I'm determined to either win the freakin thing or walk away with a pound and a half of the winning bidders flesh. ;) But those have been few and far between lately, thankfully. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIDCP5t3y3E Prison Break - Mahone and T-Bag (William Fichtner and Robert Knepper)

Elfstalker
Sushi Ninja

Post by Elfstalker »

I ususally wait until the last moment. The more I want something, the closer I wait until the last seconds. I even wake up at 4AM to wait the auction out.

Recently, I've bidded low on an auction just to claim territory in a sense. It works sometimes, and nobody bids against me.
"He knows the crimson of rage, and the azure of despair... but his eyes will never change; the purity of white."

Cel Gallery
http://rheytarian.rubberslug.com
Candyman
Anime Geek

Post by Candyman »

Back when I used to use ebay, all I ever did was snipe, and I would be a nervous wreck for a week. X|

CsuperhoeM --PD n SN17 rock on!
Govogeta
Shikaisha - Moderator
Shikaisha - Moderator

Post by Govogeta »

I am generally a sniper :) sometimes I'll bid the opening bid too...but really I just wait till the very end and drop in my max bid and hope no one has a larger max than me. No special technique I guess X|
pastatdude
The Drunken Master

Post by pastatdude »

SaiyanWolf wrote:But those have been few and far between lately, thankfully. ;)
Yes, same for me. Whew! :)
Booze disappearing is a law of nature.

.:PD Blog:.
rebomancels
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by rebomancels »

Well, sometimes I will put a minimum bid in mainly just to put the item on my "Items Bid On" page.

Then, I'll snipe high and very late [usually with 5-10 seconds left]. Since I'm not using any software to do this, I have occasionally missed putting my bid, but thankfully that does not happen too often.

Occasionally, I'll feel guilty, as in the case when I get the same person on CCS cels with few seconds left two days in a row with sniping. But, on the other hand, I'm starting to learn that if I can't snipe, to put the absolute highest I'm willing to pay.

Even with sniping though, you still can get caught up in 30-second bidding wars. On one cel, I didn't intend to pay more than a certain amount. I ended up winning for twice that [not that I really mind, but things certainly can spiral in a hurry].
ogr81vegeta
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by ogr81vegeta »

I usually bid at first. If I get outbid, I'll wait until it ends, to see if I want to go any higher.
"Falling from heaven is not as difficult as surviving the impact"
Golden Dragon
Senpai - Elder

Post by Golden Dragon »

I usually watch the items and snipe at the end. I don't have a program so I also do it myself with multiple windows open. But there are times that I will bid on the auction in the beginning and snipe at the end. There are times I don't even get to snipe because someone with a 1 feedback has risen the price so high that I don't even bid. Well at least I don't pay over and beyond what I am willing to pay.
Kat

Thanks S17 for the great banner!!!!

I will smite you with my Blade of Honor! - Guan Yu
Mr. Yac
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Mr. Yac »

i usualy bid right away, but only a small amount to test things out, then i'll put my max closer to the end of the auction, i also always bid with odd numbers like 30.89 instead of just 30 dollars....heh i've won auctions by as little as 4 cents before.....sure it must piss the other person off but whatever lets me win cheaper is fine by me :D
Wolfette
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Wolfette »

I think my best win on ebay was when I bid with 1 second left, and won by .01 ;) You *know* that has to piss off the second bidder. ^^;;;;; Ahh well! That was back before I had the sniper tool I use now ... err, actually it's not a program I have on my computer, it's an online service I use. ;) It bids as close as 3 seconds from the end, but I usually set mine for 5, just to be safe.

glorff
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by glorff »

If you see my name on an auction, you can bet that you better be willing to pay what it is worth to beat me. I will put in my real maximum right away and let everyone have a go at it. In live auctions it is called preemptive bidding, and it works pretty well. If I lose the auction, it is because I didn't want it badly enough or missguessed the value.I almost never lament the loss of a cel to someone else after the initial pissed off moments. 8)
I usually watch for last minute values (I usually have 25-30 items on watch) and bid. :D
Dave

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.