Offering the seller a lot of money to end an auction early..

Auctions on eBay

Do you think it's ok to offer the seller a lot of money to end their auction early and sell to you?

Sure. As long as the seller agrees, why not? All's fair in love and cel wars.
74%
It's ok as long as there are no bids already.
4%
It's ok as long as it's not an auction that I'm trying to win.
4%
It's never ok. It violates the whole ethical foundation of an auction.
17%

Total votes: 23

Fever's Break
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Offering the seller a lot of money to end an auction early..

Post by Fever's Break »

I have heard of some people doing this and I was just wondering what the general consensus was about this practice. :)
Life is too important to be taken seriously.
~Oscar Wilde
Gonzai
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Gonzai »

It's all good to me. I mean I have lost out on a cel I really wanted for that reason, but if I can get one that way - I am all for it. :wink:
Govogeta
Shikaisha - Moderator
Shikaisha - Moderator

Post by Govogeta »

Sure. As long as the seller agrees, why not? All's fair in love and cel wars.
I voted for that option :)
I have tried it a few times, usually doesnt work for me though X|
If I were the one doing the auctioning, I wouldnt have a problem
ending it if the offer was one that I liked :wink:
Wolfette
Himajin - Get A Life
Location: Fawning at Bakura's feet *worship* AnimeBeta's resident rabid Shota fangirl :)

Post by Wolfette »

I've done it. ^^;; So I voted for the first option. It's worked more often than not, so ... =P
It's how I got this cel:
http://saiyanwolf.rubberslug.com/galler ... emID=21905
.... and actually the seller refused to accept as much as I offered for it .. hehe ^^; They cut it almost in half of the offer, so I was thrilled! :dgrin

Some fav YouTube fan music videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98qEvSXe5wc - Heroes - Sylar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIDCP5t3y3E Prison Break - Mahone and T-Bag (William Fichtner and Robert Knepper)

World of Warcraft Battletag: Wolfette#1822
Elfstalker
Sushi Ninja

Post by Elfstalker »

I voted for the first too. I've only done it twice, so it's not a habit of mine to do so a lot. I can understand why they do it if a seller ends the auction early for an item that is outrageously expensive if a buyer is willing to buy it outright.
"He knows the crimson of rage, and the azure of despair... but his eyes will never change; the purity of white."

Cel Gallery
http://rheytarian.rubberslug.com
ogr81vegeta
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by ogr81vegeta »

I voted no. Last year I was bidding on 3 cels that my husband wanted. So I thought I would get them for christmas for him. All three auctions were cancelled ( they were by the same seller) within hours of the auctions ending. The seller emailed me and explained that someone had offered him a higher amount. Needless to say I was pretty pissed, because he had no clue how high I would have gone, the least he could have done was email me since it was obvious that I was interested in them.
So I voted no, but that's just my opinion.
"Falling from heaven is not as difficult as surviving the impact"
Startyde
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by Startyde »

Yes yes...all fair in love and cels...all fair...within the law...for now...
"I actually really liked that game till it caught a blaze ha." - WhiteTrashShayno on Teleroboxer
Nathan
Shikaisha - Moderator
Shikaisha - Moderator

Post by Nathan »

Don't see a problem... It's like an unsaid buy it now... It's really up to the seller in the end... If they are offered a high enough price... why not.
...just one more
Noriko

Post by Noriko »

I've done it. I recently got a Hyper Police cel like that. The seller even said that she would close the auction for the right offer. The problem was that she was located in the midst of a hurricane area and suffered numerous blackouts, thus she had trouble getting online. Unfortunatly someone bid on the cel before she was able to cancel it during our negotiations and she had to cancel the bid. The whole transaction took almost the entire duration of the auction. It was very frustrationg and I do feel sorry for the other bidder, but I really really wanted the cel... I felt incredibly selfish afterwards and wanted to hide somewhere, but when the cel arrived, I just couldn't help but smile...
Jason
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Jason »

I think it is okay. The seller's goal by placing it on ebay was to get the highest price possible for his or her cel. You are helping the seller reach this goal and avoid the dreaded ebay 5% off the top "seller's privilege fee" for placing the cel on ebay.. :)
"When angels are forced out of heaven they become devils. Don't you agree Spike?" - Vicious (Cowboy Bebop Ep. 5)
Outlaw_Star_Cel_Station
glorff
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by glorff »

I find it completely classless. :evil:

When you list something on eBay it is a contract and by selling to someone that was introduced to the item by the listing you are voilating that contract. My ethics would not allow me to do that from either side :x
Dave

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.
wing_goddess
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by wing_goddess »

I frequent the "bidding board" at ebay and this general topic has come up time and again. "I received an offer to end my auction and sell to this person, should I do it?" They answer they always give is "no". Sometimes a person will offer a price because the seller doesn't know what they have (price wise) and are looking for a deal, great for buyers, but not fair to the sellers.

Also, when you do this you are not protected by ebay's fraud policies, since it is an off ebay transaction. If you do want to make an offer on a cel, the best thing to do is ask the seller if they will add a "buy it now" option, or if the seller will set up an auction with you as the only pre-approved bidder.
Jason wrote:avoid the dreaded ebay 5% off the top "seller's privilege fee" for placing the cel on ebay
fee avoidance is also against ebay policy.....

I didn't agree with the "as long as there are no bids on it" opion either, I like to snipe auctions, so I'll have an auction on my watch list for a week before I bid.

Not to mention there was an awesome Brolly cel on ebay last week and had all bids canceled and ended an hour before the auction was supposed to end.... what a disappointment! My husband wanted to bid on it!

Anyways, that's my 2 cents.....
Dragon_gal

Post by Dragon_gal »

I said sure. I'd love to make a moral stance on this one, but I've done it in the past. It happened the other way to me once, as in I won the auction and the seller told me it had been sold to someone that made him an offer. It sucks, but I learned from it.
LunaArt
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by LunaArt »

Well, I voted for 'sure'. I've never made an offer of this kind on eBay, but I have made 3 such offers on YJ auctions successfully in the past. The first one I did because at the time there was a big jerk that created multiple YJ Id's just to bid up auctions with no intention of paying. This went on over a period of several months. :evil: I just didn't want to hassle with this idiot anymore, so I made a private offer. The other 2 were for extremely high wishlist cels that I still consider my top 2 favorite cels in my collection.

I think the last seller handled it the most fairly. After I made my offer, he had me put my maximum bid in and then added a notice in the auction description saying that if no one else outbid me in the next day or so, he was ending the auction early. So it is something I have done in the past, though very rarely.
~Luna-Art >^.^<

Rubberslug version: http://lunaart.rubberslug.com
Wolfette
Himajin - Get A Life
Location: Fawning at Bakura's feet *worship* AnimeBeta's resident rabid Shota fangirl :)

Post by Wolfette »

Dragon_gal wrote: as in I won the auction and the seller told me it had been sold to someone that made him an offer. It sucks, but I learned from it.
Wait, the seller let the auction continue to the end and you were the winning bidder but he wouldn't sell to you? 8O Now THAT is wrong - no question. He should have ended the auction early and cancelled all bids when he accepted an offer.

Sorry to those who view it as wrong or classless but I'll live with those (and any other) terms. *shrugs* I've had it happen too many times to me, where the seller ended an auction because they took an offer they received so I guess I'm too jaded to care what anyone thinks when I do it.

Some fav YouTube fan music videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98qEvSXe5wc - Heroes - Sylar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIDCP5t3y3E Prison Break - Mahone and T-Bag (William Fichtner and Robert Knepper)

World of Warcraft Battletag: Wolfette#1822