Offering the seller a lot of money to end an auction early..

Auctions on eBay

Do you think it's ok to offer the seller a lot of money to end their auction early and sell to you?

Sure. As long as the seller agrees, why not? All's fair in love and cel wars.
74%
It's ok as long as there are no bids already.
4%
It's ok as long as it's not an auction that I'm trying to win.
4%
It's never ok. It violates the whole ethical foundation of an auction.
17%

Total votes: 23

LunaArt
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by LunaArt »

S.Wolfie wrote:
Dragon_gal wrote: as in I won the auction and the seller told me it had been sold to someone that made him an offer. It sucks, but I learned from it.
Wait, the seller let the auction continue to the end and you were the winning bidder but he wouldn't sell to you? 8O Now THAT is wrong - no question. He should have ended the auction early and cancelled all bids when he accepted an offer.
Wow! 8O I didn't catch that the first time I read your post Dragon_gal (I need to read more carefully X| ) I know that making/accepting offers to close an auction early isn't a squeaky clean practice, but what happened in your situation is *blatantly* unfair and cruel. :hurt: Oh man, I would be so pissed!! :evil: If that ever happened to me, the first thing I would do is try to get eBay to come down hard on him/her and then I would march right over here a make a informative post on the Buyer Beware! section.
~Luna-Art >^.^<

Rubberslug version: http://lunaart.rubberslug.com
Fever's Break
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Fever's Break »

LunaArt wrote:
S.Wolfie wrote:
Dragon_gal wrote: as in I won the auction and the seller told me it had been sold to someone that made him an offer. It sucks, but I learned from it.
Wait, the seller let the auction continue to the end and you were the winning bidder but he wouldn't sell to you? 8O Now THAT is wrong - no question. He should have ended the auction early and cancelled all bids when he accepted an offer.
I know that making/accepting offers to close an auction early isn't a squeaky clean practice, but what happened in your situation is *blatantly* unfair and cruel. :hurt: Oh man, I would be so pissed!! :evil: If that ever happened to me, the first thing I would do is try to get eBay to come down hard on him/her and then I would march right over here a make a informative post on the Buyer Beware! section.
I totally agree. That is a VERY dodgy practice and not what I had in mind when I asked the question. If the auction ends with a winner, then the seller is ethically bound to sell the cel to that person. If they decide to end the auction early, they need to cancel all bids that are currently on the item.

Thanks for all your candid, thought-provoking responses everyone! :) It's a grey area to be sure. But for me, I guess it all boils down to the reality that if the cel is special enough, I might just have to ignore the ethical considerations.... :dlook
Life is too important to be taken seriously.
~Oscar Wilde