Imo's ?????

Talk about anything you'd like! Play games, tell jokes, and share your life.
Cosmic Skiv
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Imo's ?????

Post by Cosmic Skiv »

Here's a question for the U.K. dwellers amoung us.....

Ok guys, I know I don't buy an awful lot, but when did the post office stop doing IMO's???

I know, know but I only found out yesterday!!!

Krafty do you know?? :wink:
Friendship is a gift given freely, Trust has to be earned.
Nene
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Nene »

I'm not sure when they stopped but I tried to get one in either 2003 or 2004 and was told they don't exist. Very annoying on international auctions and other things when the only method of payment is money order.
Cosmic Skiv
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by Cosmic Skiv »

Good grief!! was it that long ago I last bought one.

Mind you the post ofice (as helpful as always) did suggest cash in an envelope and sent international signed for...
Xelloss
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Xelloss »

http://www.usps.com/money/sendingmoney/ ... onally.htm

According to their site they are still supported. Although, I had noticed in the past that not all post offices carry them. Maybe the people you talked to are out of the loop?

- Karen
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

Xelloss wrote:http://www.usps.com/money/sendingmoney/ ... onally.htm

According to their site they are still supported. Although, I had noticed in the past that not all post offices carry them. Maybe the people you talked to are out of the loop?

- Karen
I think she's referring to PO's in the UK :wink:
Krafty
Custodian of Records

Post by Krafty »

KRAFTY HERE TO THE RESCUE! :P

International Postal Money Orders have been phased out over the last 5-10 years. I remember looking into it in 2000 when I started using Ebay regularly and Paypal wasn't popular.

I went to 4 different Post Offices to ask about sending a IPMO abroard and everyone pretty much looked at me with a blank expression- even the managers. That suggested that this form of payment wasn't requested too often!
At the time I used Bidpay more frequently but the fees were a pest. For larger purchases I sent bank drafts in the desired currency but remember having to wait about 90mins while it was drawn up and finalised ready to be posted. The fees were about GB£15 (US$26 approx) so I didn't do that often.

The best method is definately sending cash through the post. It may be illegal but hey, what the heck! LOL It's the cheapest method and the person on the other end likes cash anyway.

The next thing to get your head around is exchange rates. Currently the US Dollar is perfoming quite well compared to the Pound so American things are costing me more than they did 9 months ago. Back then, $10.00 would cost me £5.30, now it's about £5.70

The Post Office offers comission-free currency exchange BUT what they don't tell you is that their rates are bad. If you're buying a lot of money, you can get more by going to a Travel Agents, paying their £2/£3 commission and getting more for your money- quite literally.

The simplest way online is with Paypal but that's not much use when you don't have a credit card or want your debit card hooked up to make payments in this manner. However Paypal's exchange rate is a little ropey too, they don't use the flat daily mid-market rate as used on the XE Currency Conversion site

Another thing I'd like to address with regard to foreign currencies and that's about making a direct purchase with your credit card.
If you have a Pounds Sterling account and buy something in Euro's for example, your bank will covert the funds at their daily rate AND you're charged a further 2-3% on top. Read your cards terms and conditions.
I have 1 card which charges 2.75% on foreign transactions and 1 which will charge me 2.25%. It may seem small, but these costs will add up if you buy internationally regularly.
Out of the gloom a voice said unto me;
"Smile and be happy, things could be worse".
So I smiled and was happy
and behold;
things did get worse...
Cosmic Skiv
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by Cosmic Skiv »

Ask a simple question!!

seriously Thanks for that Krafty it makes it clearer (like mud) .
No really I think it's gonna have to go the cash way as it's a private thing.

I don't usually worry about the charges I keep paypal topped up.

Will email you.
Krafty
Custodian of Records

Post by Krafty »

I've been in a talkative mood today, don't know why. Time for my brain to rest then I'll probably be back to normal.
Tomorrow's Saturday which means that after work, it's free time!! An opportunity to watch some anime for a change ;)

I'll keep an eye out for your email, if I can help out in any way I'll do my best.
Cosmic Skiv
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by Cosmic Skiv »

Thanks I know you will

My hero :kiss
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

You are quite welcome! Interesting gossip: Cosmic Skiv said I will

your hero kiss.
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
Cosmic Skiv
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by Cosmic Skiv »

here you go one for you too cloud :kiss