It's baaack! "Heroes" Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Talk about anything you'd like! Play games, tell jokes, and share your life.
monkeyboy
Shikaisha - Moderator
Shikaisha - Moderator
Location: Heading for the 90's...Living in the wild wild West...

Post by monkeyboy »

OMG yes, another amazing episode!

I guess my last question was answered with this installment.

I hope in the next episode we may find out what Peter and Nathan's mom can do.
blueheaven
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by blueheaven »

OK, season one over. I hope we don't have to wait too long for season two. What an ending. Here are my questions:

1. Will Peter live through the explosion? And if he does, will he ever learn to control his powers?

2. Is Hiro really Kensei?

3. Who is the "really bad man" that Molly referred to? The one who is even worse than Sylar?

4. Just what powers do Mrs. Petrelli and Mr. Nokumura have?

What a show!
Time is but an illusion. Lunch time...doubly so.
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

It depends on the historical context, because it changes from time to time.
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
Nelia
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Nelia »

Last night's episode was phenomenal. I know I shed a tear. ;)
wELCOME cONSUMER
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by wELCOME cONSUMER »

I was unimpressed with the finale. The 10-odd minutes of recap from the previous episode at the beginning seemed SO completely unnecessary. It felt like pointless filler. And why would Nathan (?) need to fly his brother into the sky? I thought Nathan's flying power was the first one Peter absorbed, way back at the beginning of the season (which led Peter to think they were "brothers who could fly"). Or some nonsense. Peter, with Claire's power, should have flown into the sky by himself, went supernova and survive (as we learned in the "potential future" episode where everything goes wrong; Peter blows up but survives).

The ending was a like a huge fart to me because it didn't make any damn sense to me. Peter's been able to obtain everyone's abilities, including his own brother's, so the big emotional sacrifice at the end didn't make sense. And the final battle with Sylar was a huge let down. It was over way too quickly. Seeing Jessica/Nikki in action was cool, but why did they take her out of the fight? Everyone just sat there and did nothing. Bleh.

Hiro in feudal Japan, or wherever, was a very cool way to end the season. The rest was ... lame. :? I mildly enjoy Heroes, but they always seem to half-ass the things that should be crucial.
"Devoted to all things lovely to consume"
| Amazon | eBay | rubberslug | facebook |
blueheaven
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by blueheaven »

wELCOME cONSUMER wrote:I was unimpressed with the finale. The 10-odd minutes of recap from the previous episode at the beginning seemed SO completely unnecessary. It felt like pointless filler. And why would Nathan (?) need to fly his brother into the sky? I thought Nathan's flying power was the first one Peter absorbed, way back at the beginning of the season (which led Peter to think they were "brothers who could fly"). Or some nonsense. Peter, with Claire's power, should have flown into the sky by himself, went supernova and survive (as we learned in the "potential future" episode where everything goes wrong; Peter blows up but survives).

The ending was a like a huge fart to me because it didn't make any damn sense to me. Peter's been able to obtain everyone's abilities, including his own brother's, so the big emotional sacrifice at the end didn't make sense. And the final battle with Sylar was a huge let down. It was over way too quickly. Seeing Jessica/Nikki in action was cool, but why did they take her out of the fight? Everyone just sat there and did nothing. Bleh.
1. Peter said, in a previous episode, that he can only perform one power at a time. When he went critical, he was unable to fly because he was concentrating on not exploding.

2. Peter told Nikki to hang back because Sylar would have killed her.

3. Sylar got beaten because he underestimated Hiro. Think about it, why would he consider Hiro a threat? Sylar owned him in previous meeting

Just came to me. What if Hiro's father is Kensei? It would explain why he hasn't aged at all since Hiro was a small boy. It would also explain why he knows the stories of Kensei so well, and why he can use a sword. He has to be immortal.
wELCOME cONSUMER
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by wELCOME cONSUMER »

I admit that I can't/don't bother to follow every detail of the show, so your explanation about Peter's powers helps, but it still doesn't tug my heart strings. Nathan could've flown Peter up and then dropped him or something. I guess Nathan's fate will be revealed later.

I thought Peter told Nikki her family needed her (since Micah said "Mom, dad needs you") nothing else. It would've been more impressive if the final battle had lasted more than 90 seconds and had involved some team work among the group.

The explanations still don't excuse the needless filler in the beginning. And all of the slow motion. It's like they were trying to elongate the process, dragging it out. The momentum felt herky-jerky.
"Devoted to all things lovely to consume"
| Amazon | eBay | rubberslug | facebook |
graymouser
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by graymouser »

Although I really enjoyed this show, I also will have to chime in that I was a little disappointed with the ending. I agree with WC that there was a lot of wasted time rehashing what had already happened. There also seemed to be more time spent setting up the next season than rounding out the first season smoothly.

I also thought about the possibility of Nathan dropping Peter before he exploded. I tend to feel this is more likely to be what happened. Its an obvious solution and it strikes me that Nathan is sharp enough to come up with it. He rarely lets on to what he is thinking or how he is feeling. Its probably a necessary defense in the political arena. I view his declaration of love for his brother to mean that he loved Peter more than his political career, a future position as president or a vague promise of an better future.

I am unclear on a few things.

1) What exactly was the dying man's power?

2) If the dying man had an ability, wouldn't his daughter have had one too. If she had an ability, she should not have had such a hard time believing Isaac nor Peter. I suppose she could have been pretending disbelief or maybe she was not a biological daughter.

3) Where did Peter's ability to dream of the future come from? He seemed to have that ability before he had the ability to fly. He first dreamed that he could fly before he actually did fly, didn't he? He also was dreaming that it was himself that blew up. Did this ability come from his mother, his father, the old man he was caring for or someone else?

I would love to know what power Hiro's father has. In spite of the weaknesses of the last episode, I am looking forward to next season. Does anyone know when that would be?
blueheaven
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by blueheaven »

I think your third question answered your first. I think Charles has the ability to dream about the future and the past, and interact with the people in his dreams. It's probably the first power Peter absorbed
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

Why? Tell me more about this person Charles.
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
Queen_Serenity
Kakashi Stalker

Post by Queen_Serenity »

All I can say is that I'm glad Nathan finally grew a pair to go against mommy. :P
jenn-b
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by jenn-b »

Just thought I'd breath some life into this thread...now that I've finally watched the first season!!

We just got our dvd's and were able to watch a few eps an evening. Now that we have actual TV, I don't know how I'm going to watch the episodes from week to week and with commercials!!

All in all, I think this series is brilliant. It takes alot of forethought to be able to tie everyone together so well. I'm really looking forward to season two! Speaking of which, since we have not had TV FOREVER...when does the new season start?

Once a Bleach Whore...always a Bleach Whore

"Looks like you're on the ass end of an ass-kickin'" the All-Powerful Bender
kymaera
Heroine Addict

Post by kymaera »

jenn-b wrote:when does the new season start?
September 24th.
blueheaven
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by blueheaven »

Well, since there are only two episodes left this season, I thought we shoudl bring this thread back. So far, this season has blown me away. I really loved the "Four Months Ago" episode, where we got to see what happened after the first season ended. I love the new characters, especially Elle and Adam. The storyline always keeps me guessing, and the end of this weeks episode was an awesome swerve. So what do you guys think?
EternityOfPain
Senpai - Elder

Post by EternityOfPain »

Ill be honest... I haven't seen a single episode of this show... But damn I really want to... Been really lazy getting out to buying season 1... All I hear is great things from this show so Ill have to buy it soon...
I didnt attend the funeral but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. -Mark Twain
Anime runs my life. I'll leave it to anime to where my life leads me. -EoP
Anime I have Seen
Slippery slopes of hellish Ice.