Rough times

Talk about anything you'd like! Play games, tell jokes, and share your life.
Not Sir Phobos
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Rough times

Post by Not Sir Phobos »

In the middle of selling my house I lost my job. Thank you Chrysler.

We did exactly what the government wanted us to do, go out and buy a house, and buy a car. Now we are stuck with those payments. I can get unemployment hopefully but it's only enough to cover our bills. So we can't afford for or gas for our car or food for our table. Because we "make so much money" on unemployment the government will not give us any food stamps or other assistance. The food bank will not help us because we are "too rich".

I've worked since I was 16, I've paid my taxes, I've done everything the government wanted me to. Now my family is being punished because of it.

I can't trade in our nice car for a cheap one because no bank will take our loan because I don't have a job. Can't get an apartment because I don't have a job. I can't help myself until I get a job and my government will not help me get on my feet either. Because I was a middle class American I have fallen between the cracks.

I have a 6 year old son that I need to get healthy food for, my government will not even give me food stamps so I can get him fruits and vegetables. We can't keep running on ramen and potatoes.

We now have 2 weeks to find a place to live, my wonderful home is now someone elses, we sold the house for even money so we have no funds to "start over" with.

I need a hail mary pass right now.
God's in his heaven, All's right with the world
Belldandy16
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by Belldandy16 »

Is there anyone you know that you can go and stay with for awhile till you can get on your feet? friends or family?
everyone that i know (inclunding myself) has to stay with someone (room mate style) in order to survive its terrible.

im terribly sorry about your circumstances. ill keep you both in my prayers. :hurt:
teggacat
Senpai - Elder

Post by teggacat »

These are very Frustrating times, you really got hit bad,
I truly feel for you and your Family,
a big Thank You to our wonderful New President and
his Administration, they have made a worse mess
of things than ever before.Everyone is hurting to some degree.
Just dont lose hope, try Everything in your power,
it seems impossible but Something will turn in
your favor, it has too. Everyone here at AB is thinking of you.
Belldandy16
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by Belldandy16 »

sorry i just thought of this when i stepped away from my computer.
some states have programs through your child's school (our state has something called "School Bell" , they take the kids and get them things like uniforms, toys, etc. Then there are programs where on the weekends they give them food to take home).

go to your child's counselor (or if the school doesnt have a counselor, go to his/her teacher and just tell the person, "hey im having rough times, are there any programs that help people with low income"? and the counselor/teacher might know of other programs that can help you).

there are so many programs that welfare has that they DONT tell you about... ill have to ask my mom tonight (im at work) because she knew a lady that was on welfare and got TONS of stuff because she just knew who to ask for whatever.

good luck!
Last edited by Belldandy16 on Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

I'd say check with some of the faith-based social services. I've been involved in fundraisers for programs in this area that are dealing with people in exactly your situation: in bad circumstances not because you're a bum or drug addict but just because life sucks. They want people like you with a good work ethic and a desire to get your house and occupation back, and they'll give you a platform so you can do just that.

Don't take it as charity -- that's for the low-lifes who aren't capable of earning it and not planning to give anything back. Take it as a hand up, which all of us need. And remember, once you're on your feet (I have faith you will be), to turn around and help someone else up. (Hey, one of the reasons I support these organizations is that I remember walking the Unemployment lines, taking my baby daughter with me in her stroller.)

I think there's blame enough for everyone involved in this mess. And plenty of opportunities for everyone to do something, even a little, to help.
Shampoo
Kiba-phile

Post by Shampoo »

You may or may not already know this but in
certain states (I think California has the program)
there is a section 8 rent vouchers
programs for folks that are below a certain
income level due to whatever reason..
Basically the gov covers some of your rent
and you come up wth the rest (aka unemployment check)
Most of the time its about 50% off rent so its a big deal.

I feel for ya NSP, when I was your boy's age
my mom went thru the same crap, except it was just
the 2 of us.

Best of luck, I hope you find something soon.
>_<
Last edited by Shampoo on Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Belldandy16
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by Belldandy16 »

they have Section 8 here in NV too... i think its called "HUD".... i think.
blueheaven
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by blueheaven »

My sympathies, NSP. I agree with Sensei. You've done everything you were supposed to do, now it's time to start looking into those programs that you've been paying into to help you. You can also look up grants that can help you in the short run...

http://unemployment-grants.com/
Time is but an illusion. Lunch time...doubly so.
glorff
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by glorff »

http://www.grants.gov/

http://www.usa.gov/Citizen/Topics/Benefits.shtml

These are the real government sites. The one posted above wants $39.95 a month to "help you" find something. (Which is a lot cheaper than some of them)

I wish you the best of luck my friend. I am feeling some of your pain since I have not been able to take a paycheck for four months so far. Good thing I was able to plan ahead for six months. :wink:

Have faith, work hard and keep going. Everything will work out in the end. When one door shuts another one opens. /arg
Last edited by glorff on Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.
choka162
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by choka162 »

I don't have any ideas on big money things, but if your looking to save on the everyday items I've found alot of help at

http://www.hotcouponworld.com/forums/index.php

A lot of people who are going through similar situations so it can be a nice place to sound off on and see what other people are doing.
kathpatty
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by kathpatty »

About all I can do for you is say a prayer...
I have and know things will be getting better.

I had a hard time dealing with what the government did to the car giants !!
Our prayers will always be with you :)

It is the hard times that make us appreciate the good times....trite but true
A Man Who Views The World The Same At Fifty As He Did At Twenty Has Wasted Thirty Years Of His Life. - Muhammad Ali
Belldandy16
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by Belldandy16 »

ok, i got home and asked my mom and she said go to your utility companies and tell them you are low income (she stressed to say "low income) and tell them your situation and they might have a program in your state that gives you a portion off your bill.

my mom was on welfare years and years ago and our electric co gave her $200 off her bill, gas gave her quite a bit as well, and her phone bill was i think just $ 5 a mo. (that was regular telephone, not cel phone... but even go to the cel phone co's... ask every cel phone co you have in your state and see if they have any programs offering assistance).
ALSO call a local tv station (yeah i know i sound crazy now dont i? :-p). just ask them (and it never hurts, if they cant help you, ya know, they cant help you) but ask them if they know of any charities, organizations, whatever in your area that can help low income families.
there are some places that will help you ... you just have to be like a blood hound and really do some digging...

also here's a good site
http://forum.couponmom.com/
and these have coupons you can print off...
http://print.coupons.com/Couponweb/Offe ... q37&nid=10
http://coupons2.smartsource.com/smartso ... ZUA6PWPEPO

(also a good tip is always look in your grocery ads
http://www.grocerysavingtips.com/grocerystores.htm
and see if they have something already on sale that you have a coupon for... saved $27 one time at the store b/c i looked at the ads and used coupons w/ them). :D

If you have a local dollar store, go there and see if they have any food (but be VERY careful and look at the labels, DO NOT buy anything made in china).

good luck my friend and please keep us updated when you can!

EDIT... oh forgot.
i dont know if they have this in your state but here there's another program that is through your child's school cafeteria, you fill out a form saying your income and theyll give your child free breakfast and lunch. go to the cafeteria manager and ask him/her.

(last thing, promise. lol) another thing i really want to stress is, dont let yourself get in a mindset of hopelessness!!. My mom was in your position many times when i was a child. She got a job then she was laid off quite a few times. she was a single parent and she just had to keep going (God bless her, i hope someday i can be as strong as her). We got through it and i know you will too! :) good luck!
Belldandy16
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by Belldandy16 »