What's your cel collecting pet peeve?

Talk about anything you'd like! Play games, tell jokes, and share your life.
ginga123
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by ginga123 »

My pet peeves are:

1) After buying a nice cel and you open the box, you come to find out that it's adhered to the matching sketch on the wrong side X|
2) The cel box you received is cracked, causing damage to a sketch set and a dent in your new cel
3) Being sniped at the last minute..but i've become alot more picky and i'm sticking with my budget like Star :wink:
4) Sellers who won't accept your offers because they dont like you and tell you so, yet they hardly know you at all :roll:
5) Buyers griping that the shipping cost is too high... c'mon peeps its the USPS not me! :x

That's my top 5.
Ginga’s Anime Galactica
Making Bold Look Beautiful since 2005
www.gag.rubberslug.com

“I pretended to be somebody I wanted to be until finally I became that person. Or (s)he became me.”—Cary Grant
Quacker
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Quacker »

lol even just thinking about this is getting me riled up :P
Okay what really ticks me off are bidders who only bid 1,000 or 2,000yen at a time on YJ, then continuing to place another 10/15/20bids or whatever until they either finally give up or become the max bidder.
I'm not sure if that is just a Japanese thing, the number of times an auction I have been interested in, has dragged on because some numb-nut has continually bid 1,000yen in a futile effort to win :x The worst instance I 'fondly' remember was when an auction was due to finish @ 10:45pm local time, but ended up finishing just before 1am - some choice words were flung at the screen that night & I was not in a good mood the next day, let me tell you.

I just don't get it, surely when you are bidding on an auction, you have a set limit in mind, no matter how loose it may be. Why not just bid your max.amount? Get it over and done with!?
Even if their bidding does overtake my initial limit, if I really want a cel, I will be watching and refreshing the auction & I'll just up my bid another 50,000yen.

Sorry, my pet-peeve has been voiced, I'll head back to my corner to calm down :P
Last edited by Quacker on Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
choka162
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by choka162 »

I know it's silly but my biggest pet peeve is when you loose an auction to internal bidding and the final price is like 1/10th of your high bid. I know they end up paying more to the deputy but still!
MidniteKitten
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by MidniteKitten »

My pet peeves are a plenty, but here's a few :)

1. I absolutely can't stand it when someone outbids me by a damned dollar, only to see it instantaneously flipped back and now at 3x what it ended for! Seriously, if you won at 60$ on eBay where your competiton is buyers what on earth makes you think that selling that same cel at 200$ is actually going to work!? Obviously all interested parties weren't willing to pay more than 60$, so by selling at 200$ all you do is effectively piss off the highest bidder behind you and all interested parties. God I hate this. And it happens at least 75% of the time! Seriously let an interested collector love it rather than keeping it in a stack of other overpriced cels. </rant>

2. If your selling cels from a show I like, great! But that doesn't make me obligated to buy. I can't tell you how annoying it is to get offers to buy cels that are 5x more than they're worth just because you know I collect the series. Obviously if I collect from the series, I know the prices. Don't tell me that 150$ is a good deal for a cel that I have a better shot of or sequence mate to that I only paid 45$ for. Now don't get me wrong, I love when people offer me some goodies, I just don't like when they try and make a big buck off me, if you just asked I'd make a generous offer and you could make some spare cash :]

3. For the love of god don't be offended when you ask about a cel in my gallery and im not selling. Even if you offer me 10x what I paid, unless I want to sell it doesn't matter. If your polite about it ill kindly put your name in the private comments so when I decide to sell you have first pickings. Otherwise I don't want to be harassed and told that im being unfair. What if I did the same thing to you?

4. Sort of related to the above. It hasn't happened to me particularly in this collection but I know it occurs. If I outbid you on a cel you wanted I'm sorry, but im sure we've been on opposite ends before. You get some and so do I, its just life. Or even worse, if I manage to find a cel steal at 20$ when it should be at least 75$ don't send hate mail. People find deals all the time, im sure you have or will! So then why send so much negativity to your fellow collector, I'm sure all your winning yourself in the long run is a free "will not sell to" reminder.

Sorry for ranting, but gahhhh it can be so frustrating!
Luckily the good outweighs the bad in collecting and im still happy XD
jcaliff

Post by jcaliff »

My biggest pet peeve is when someone buys an "absolute dream cel" and brags about it all over, showing off, then 2 months later they "have to raise funds for a dream cel" so they sell it. Yeah, some dream cel. I can't take those collectors seriously anymore, and when I see their gloat/brag post I just have to ignore them.
Image Image
Hector the Collector loved these things with all his soul,
Loved them more than shining diamonds, loved them more than glistenin' gold.
Hector called to all the people,"Come and share my treasure trunk!"
And all the silly sightless people came and looked...and called it junk.
kizu

Post by kizu »

My #1 pet peeve is...
When almost everyone is selling (collector/dealer) and there is NOTHING for me to buy and I REALLY want to scratch that itch sometimes...

My #2 pet peeve is...
Snipe internal bidding on YJ. I actually keep tabs of cels I was sniped in just because it annoys me. It also helps to see what kind of things they go for that way I'm better prepared to combat the sniping.

My #3 pet peeve is...
Collectors who do not take care of their cels... And I ended up buying one of those poor cels. If one is a collector then one should take care of their collection, otherwise that person is just amassing cel/sketches. Not a true collector in my opinion.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

I'm going to go out on a limb here, but...

Provided that the winner is not out to resell at a profit and that by bidding internally and the rant isn't about creating a false sense of demand for a certain item/anime, I don't like it when people complain about internal bidding.

I think that the majority of us have, at one time or another, outbided another member of the same deputy service. Whether it's because that's the only deputy service you use or because it will help you get the item at the cheapest price possible, it's done and most people here have done it. We all want to stretch our dollar in this hobby, and if that means that you're going to have to wake up at 3am to place a last minute bid, you'll do it.

Provided the afformentioned reasons apply, I can't see why it's justified to vilify these people. Just because you are the first deputy bidder on an item doesn't mean that that should grant you immunity from other members of the same deputy service who might want the item as well. Nor should it mean that if another foriegner wants it that they should use another deputy service to buy it.

Yes, it would be nice if everyone played nicely and stepped aside if it was something you really wanted. But that doesn't happen, and the one with the quickest hand, internet connection and largest bank account is the one who wins in the end. It's a sad reality of this hobby, or any hobby, for that matter.

Honestly, I'm grateful for the items that I win and the items that I don't win. It might be painful to lose something I want, but this hobby is all about giving and taking. You lose some auctions to win some. And who knows, had you not lost those auctions, you might not have the collection that you do.

But, I agree...the people who bid an extra 1000 yen at the last 10 seconds of the YJ auction and will continually bid an additional 1000 yen until they outbid you is incredibly annoying. I've been lucky that I haven't had to experience too many examples of that.
Gonzai
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Gonzai »

Moop wrote:
duotrouble wrote:Mine is collectors thinking they are entitled to a cel because everyone knows they are the biggest fan of *insert character & series*. The reality is the person with the deepest pockets wins.
Amen. I'm annoyed by people who carry on endlessly and publicly when they lose out on something that they wanted, as though it was theirs by right. Meh. We all win some and lose some.
WHAT?? Are you saying that I don't deserve all the Sai from Hikaru
No Go that has ever existed?? :wack

I actually have a couple different ones:

1. People who buy genga/douga sets, just to turn around
and sell them one page at a time. I admit, I don't keep the
douga, but I always sell the complete set together. I just hate
seeing single sketches show up on eBay and right after they
sell, another sketch from the same scene shows up. I just want
to thump those sellers. :kaioken

2. People whom you have blacklisted for one reason or
another, whether on eBay or private sales, and they come
back and make an offer or bid using a different user name.
I know of at least one person who uses many. :ok:

3. When a dealer updates, and the minute the update shows
up, things are already reserved. You know that they have
shown it to someone else first, but still have to list it for some
reason or another. I know that there are certain buyers that
dealers offer things to in advance, as much as it bothers me,
I can live with it if I don't see it. Its when I get the email that
the dealer has updated right as they send it, and I go there
immediately and 5 things are already reserved - now that
pisses me off. :tongue
Last edited by Gonzai on Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kizu

Post by kizu »

Cutiebunny, I don't think "vilify" would be a right word here. Like it or not, yes it's a competition to get the cels you truly want. It's nice when other collectors step aside or just agree to the "best man wins"... But due to the fact that not everyone has so close relationships or even views collecting in the same manner, the gentlemanly approach might not apply. So to remain competitive one of the important things one must do in any activity is to be well informed. Knowledge is power as they say and you do what you can to win the cel you want (and for others it's snipe bidding), so those who get sniped try to protect a possible win by collecting info and observing patterns of the snipe bidders. I don't think people who do not like snipe bidding are vindictive after all.

I do think however that it's okay to be peeved at others who are peeved at internal snipe bidding. It's a matter of opinion after all.
jcaliff

Post by jcaliff »

Just thought of my second biggest pet peeve. People who post things like, "look at this amazing YJ auction! I hope I win!" We all know how that turns out if that person loses, especially to someone else in the comminity since, like someone mentioned in an earlier peeve, some folks assume that they have some kind of God-given right to own a certain cel. Or the drama that ensues if someone else from here wanted to bid. Or then someone who might have never noticed that particular auction decides to bid for it. For Pete's sake, don't create competition for yourself. Don't post about it until the auction is over.
Image Image
Hector the Collector loved these things with all his soul,
Loved them more than shining diamonds, loved them more than glistenin' gold.
Hector called to all the people,"Come and share my treasure trunk!"
And all the silly sightless people came and looked...and called it junk.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

jcaliff wrote:People who post things like, "look at this amazing YJ auction! I hope I win!" We all know how that turns out if that person loses, especially to someone else in the comminity since, like someone mentioned in an earlier peeve, some folks assume that they have some kind of God-given right to own a certain cel. Or the drama that ensues if someone else from here wanted to bid. Or then someone who might have never noticed that particular auction decides to bid for it. For Pete's sake, don't create competition for yourself. Don't post about it until the auction is over.
Yeah...people have to be aware of what positions they put others in when they say certain things. It makes it worse when the person posting is a sore loser or has a grudge or fierce temper. 8O :(

Always assume that you have friends and enemies that are equally interested in the piece (or MORE interested) when you make a comment about something up for auction. Also assume that many of these collectors could have more money than you could possibly imagine. :P
Moop
Senpai - Elder

Post by Moop »

Gonzai wrote:WHAT?? Are you saying that I don't deserve all the Sai from Hikaru No Go that has ever existed??
*Snicker* Well there are, of course, exceptions to every rule.
kizu wrote:I do think however that it's okay to be peeved at others who are peeved at internal snipe bidding. It's a matter of opinion after all.
Ah, good...because that reminds me: I'm peeved at those who complain about internal bidding. :P Really, if you 1) use a deputy that allows it, 2) collect from series that anyone else in the known universe might collect from, and 3) have any taste whatsoever...you will, at some point, almost certainly be sniped. It definitely crosses the boundary between possibility and probability. For me, it reached a point where I realized I would either continue to lose to sniping, or I would make it a rule to always put in one bid early on, and then another with my absolute max at the last moment - even if I'm already winning. I chose the latter. That way, if someone else comes along and outbids me, more power to 'em; obviously they wanted the piece more than I did.

But if there are people out there who still find the entire act unconscionable...then they should switch to a deputy that doesn't allow it. End of story. Which, in turn, will save the rest of us from those whiny posts (or even, on occasion, entire subjects :roll) on how someone was cheated out of their cel/sketch by an evil sniper.
Belldandy16
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by Belldandy16 »

Moop wrote:
Gonzai wrote:WHAT?? Are you saying that I don't deserve all the Sai from Hikaru No Go that has ever existed??
*Snicker* Well there are, of course, exceptions to every rule.
kizu wrote:I do think however that it's okay to be peeved at others who are peeved at internal snipe bidding. It's a matter of opinion after all.
Ah, good...because that reminds me: I'm peeved at those who complain about internal bidding. :P Really, if you 1) use a deputy that allows it, 2) collect from series that anyone else in the known universe might collect from, and 3) have any taste whatsoever...you will, at some point, almost certainly be sniped. It definitely crosses the boundary between possibility and probability. For me, it reached a point where I realized I would either continue to lose to sniping, or I would make it a rule to always put in one bid early on, and then another with my absolute max at the last moment - even if I'm already winning. I chose the latter. That way, if someone else comes along and outbids me, more power to 'em; obviously they wanted the piece more than I did.

But if there are people out there who still find the entire act unconscionable...then they should switch to a deputy that doesn't allow it. End of story. Which, in turn, will save the rest of us from those whiny posts (or even, on occasion, entire subjects :roll) on how someone was cheated out of their cel/sketch by an evil sniper.
:rollin
aethel
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by aethel »

You know I consider myself extremely fortunate. The only behavior mentioned here (that I would find irritating anyway) that I have ever experienced is the mildly annoying "bid 1000 yen at a time 300 times" syndrome. Since staying up til strange hours, or even monitoring an auction during the work day isn't really an option for me, I usually combat that by just bidding my true max and then coming back later to see if I won.

... And I probably got lucky on the rest just because I just don't buy much anymore....

:love:
kizu

Post by kizu »

Moop wrote: For me, it reached a point where I realized I would either continue to lose to sniping, or I would make it a rule to always put in one bid early on, and then another with my absolute max at the last moment - even if I'm already winning. I chose the latter. That way, if someone else comes along and outbids me, more power to 'em; obviously they wanted the piece more than I did.
Ditto. So the lesson was learned on how to possibly counter snipers if one really wants the cel.
Moop wrote: Which, in turn, will save the rest of us from those whiny posts (or even, on occasion, entire subjects :roll) on how someone was cheated out of their cel/sketch by an evil sniper.
Oh damn it. I thought this thread was all about whining. :hitting: