Do You/ Did you Get Good Grades in School?

Talk about anything you'd like! Play games, tell jokes, and share your life.

Do/Did you Get Good Grades in School?

Very Much So
61%
Not At All
6%
Not too Good but Not terribly Bad, Either
33%

Total votes: 36

blueheaven
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by blueheaven »

I'm not a grade freak and I could really care less if I got a C.

High School: GPA of 2.27(Moved to a new state my Junior year and got really depressed. Failed every class. Had to take eight courses my senior year just to graduate.)

Junior College: Received an A.A. Degree with a 3.6 GPA.

University: Got my BS in Secondary Ed(Emphasis in Comprehensive English) with a 3.3GPA.(I actually have a 3.9 in my content area, which is all that matters to me. I'm an English Lit nut. I hated my teaching courses. Teaching comes natural for me anyway, as I received A's on all of my practicum courses and an A for my student teaching) Three times on the Dean's List, which was a shocker. IQ of 162 according to my abnormal psych class. Big whoop. My father was much smarter than I, and my mother was certified as genius at age 17. I'd join MENSA, but I hate joining things(another trait I inherited from my mother).

A professor of mine(RIP Ray) said something that I will always take with me:

To Be Happy is To Be Successful. To Be Successful, One Must Do Three Things:

1. Show Up
2. Pay attention
3. Do Not Become Attached To Outcomes

Starting the Master's Program in Spring of '05.
Time is but an illusion. Lunch time...doubly so.
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

Do you like your school?
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
Xelloss
Kishin - Fierce God

grades and such

Post by Xelloss »

I got a 3.89 in high school, 3.92 in undergrad, and a 4.0 in grad school -- which was way, way, way too much work to do, but at least I finally got a 4.0 someplace ^^;

I put a good chunk of what I did in college to use. My undergraduate degree was in computer science, my master degree was in software engineering. I currently design the test system used for the verification of implantable medical devices.

Ironically, though, I'm not so sure about my job anymore... the medical training has been giving me nightmares for months... and I've fainted during most training sessions.

So now I'm studying more and hoping to move on soon ^^;;;

- Karen
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

Is Design the test system used for the verification of implantable medical devices very difficult work? Aha. Why now? Tell me what you've learned about more and hoping to move on soon ^^;;;

- Karen.
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
Xelloss
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Xelloss »

Cloud wrote:Is Design the test system used for the verification of implantable medical devices very difficult work? Aha.
Yes Cloud, much more difficult than it would be to rewrite you ;-)

- Karen
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

Eureka!
-I, Robot (Asimov)
blueheaven
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by blueheaven »

Cloud wrote:Do you like your school?
You know, it's not the school; It's what you make of your time there. So far, I think I've gotten my money's worth. I know folks who spent $100,000 on a Stanford Education only to end up not knowing what they wanted to do. I'm $35,000 in the hole, but I have a job that I love. Can't put a price on that.
Xelloss
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Xelloss »

blueheaven wrote:
Cloud wrote:Do you like your school?
You know, it's not the school; It's what you make of your time there. So far, I think I've gotten my money's worth. I know folks who spent $100,000 on a Stanford Education only to end up not knowing what they wanted to do. I'm $35,000 in the hole, but I have a job that I love. Can't put a price on that.
I agree completely. It's also what you do outside of class while there. During college I was a grader, a tutor, a teacher, and researcher. I joined the programming club, and wrote code on the side. Those types of things helped me just as much, if not more, than class did itself.

I wish I could say I love my current job, but I'm well on my way to fixing that situation.

- Karen
Makoli
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Makoli »

im getting fairly decent grades i dont counsider my self bright or enlightend just a regular person that read's 2-4 books a week.
All great discoveries are made by mistake-the laws of murphy

Then the Dean repeated the mantra that has had such a marked effect on the progress of knowledge through the ages.
'Why don't we just mix up absolutely everything and see what happens?' he said.
And Ridcully responded with the traditional response. "It's got to be worth a try,' he said
kymaera
Heroine Addict

Post by kymaera »

Baakay wrote: And what have I got to show for all this here book larning? A mediocre salary at a mediocre school where I regularly have my expertise dismissed out of hand. (don't step in the puddle of bitterness).
If you follow no other piece of advice that you read on the forums,
follow this one:
do NOT step in the puddle of bitterness.

Trust me on this one :hurt:
kymaera
Heroine Addict

Post by kymaera »

Ok. Now that I'm finished mocking my friend (for the moment at least),
I'll give a more serious reply to the topic.

I've always had good grades. Could've done better, but I'm a slacker.
I finished third in my high school class. Could've probably taken the top
spot if I would've put any effort into it. The two that got higher scores than
me were pushed by their parents all the time and had to be the perfect
students. I remember back in sixth grade, the guy who would later finish
first got his first B ever on a test. He broke into a crying fit in the middle
of class. In hindsight, it doesn't seem to have mattered a bit. He ended up
going to the same college that I went to (for both undergrad and grad) and
getting a job at the same company I work for*. The other person that got
higher than me ended up getting married and doing nothing with her degree.
In college, I'd heard that I'd finished top of my class for undergrade, but
there was no formal recognition, so don't know if it was true (and don't
really care as it doesn't make any difference). In grad school, I continued
doing well.

(* Isn't it strange when you've known someone since first grade and
their life parallels yours to a high degree, but yet, you really don't like
that person at all?)
shellie
Gundam Geek

Post by shellie »

Thought I was a pretty sharp cookie until I started reading here!! 8O Geez louise, you guys are all egg-heads!! :D (Way to go! :)) My grades were very good. I liked school (after I switched from being a business major to an English major) and I learned a lot. I'll just leave it at that.

And I think I snorted out loud with your "puddle of bitterness" comment, Baakay!! :rollin I'll echo kymaera: stay faaaaar away from the puddle of bitterness!
blueheaven
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by blueheaven »

shellie wrote:Thought I was a pretty sharp cookie until I started reading here!! 8O Geez louise, you guys are all egg-heads!! :D
Don't know if it amounts to much, but I've always considered you a sharp cookie.
Makoli wrote:im getting fairly decent grades i dont counsider my self bright or enlightend just a regular person that read's 2-4 books a week.
That sounds pretty enlightened to me. And grades aren't everything, trust me. I have not love for grades or no great desire to get A's.
glorff
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by glorff »

I think that grades mean very little in the long run, but this thread reinforces what I have known all along. The education not the grades make the person, so everyone stay on that path. 8)

PS; I don't want anyone to think that I am unhappy with the amount that I work. I was raised that way and have chosen to have three separate businesses because it is my idea of fun. The money isn't bad either! I just can't find anyone that can keep up that is interested :wink:
Dave

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

Only just? You might find that I am anyone that can keep up that is interested wink.
-I, Robot (Asimov)