Losing a pet is always so hard...

Talk about anything you'd like! Play games, tell jokes, and share your life.
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Losing a pet is always so hard...

Post by zerospace »

Well as the subject suggests, 4_degree and I have recently lost one of our beloved pets - our goldfish, Duncan, to be exact. Now before you remind me that he was only a fish - bear in mind that he was nearly 20 years old when he died this past weekend. He was around for nearly half my life, and because of that, I loved him very much. :l

Duncan was a carnival goldfish, won by a friend of mine in high school. Now, she had several cats, so when he was about 7 years old, she gave him to me. He's been in my care ever since. He's lived through several illnesses, and I was always able to save him, but this time - the illness won. :l :l

In any case, I just wanted to post something.. kind of as a little tribute to him and because I miss him so much already. :l
Baakay
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Baakay »

Wow... 20 years old!! You deserve some sort of medal for giving Duncan such a long and happy life.

Have a big hug from all of us who have pets. :ghug: It doesn't matter what sort of pet, there's still a big hole in our lives when they're gone.
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

Why thank you, Baakay.
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
Sakura-chan
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Sakura-chan »

Yep, I agree with Baakay, you know how I feel about all this *huggles sis* :friends:. At least we know he lived a happy long life with you and that now he must be in fish heaven ^__^. You really took good care of him :). I hope I'll take care of my new fishy that well too.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
Sakura-chan's New Domain!!! CHECK IT OUT!
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

:-) Really? I didn't steal it.
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
Sakura-chan

Post by Sakura-chan »

Cloud wrote::-) Really? I didn't steal it.
I never said you did :P... but now you just sold yourself out! I knew it was you that stole my nice black tight leather dress! Give it back!!! :evil:
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
Sakura-chan's New Domain!!! CHECK IT OUT!
Pomidor
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Pomidor »

I can relate.
I lost my pet cat about a month ago. I, or rather my family, has had him for over 17 years. Still miss him presence around the family house.

SmacznyPomidor
kittens
Koneko no kenshi

Post by kittens »

Hey zero, I totally understand how you feel!!!!

Yeah gold fishes live really long if you take well care of them and they start noticing you and whenever you get close to you they come to you, like a cat or a dog.....

I had a goldfish like this and I totally miss him as well....

I am so sorry for your miss /sob :friends:
Cats rule!
Gonzai
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Gonzai »

I am so sorry for your loss. And no, its not JUST a fish - its family. :bawl
It can be especially hard around the holidays, I think.
Please take care of yourself, and know that my thoughts are
with you. :friends:
Krafty
Custodian of Records

Post by Krafty »

"Loosing a pet is always so hard", yeah, I've tried losing my pets on many occasions but they keep coming back home. j/k

Seriously, I can understand that you're upset Zero and I feel for you. Still, 20 years is a ripe old age for most animals, especially fish. Most of my fish never saw it past 5 or 6 so Duncan did well!
Maybe you can replace him with a similar pet? If not, a Tamagochi is more affordable and makes less mess- result!
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

Krafty wrote:"Loosing a pet is always so hard", yeah, I've tried losing my pets on many occasions but they keep coming back home. j/k

Seriously, I can understand that you're upset Zero and I feel for you. Still, 20 years is a ripe old age for most animals, especially fish. Most of my fish never saw it past 5 or 6 so Duncan did well!
Maybe you can replace him with a similar pet? If not, a Tamagochi is more affordable and makes less mess- result!
Haha - I should have known you'd come up with something like that, Krafty. Yes, 20 years is definitely a ripe old age for any animal, but it doesn't make saying goodbye any easier. :wink: :l I think I'm going to stay away from getting any more fish... I do, afterall, have a wonderful little pet rabbit who demands quite a bit of attention. :)

Thank you everyone for your kind words. :ghug: (and for not thinking I'm crazy for being upset about a fish) You're all so sweet! :)
Baakay
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Baakay »

zerospace wrote:
Krafty wrote: If not, a Tamagochi is more affordable and makes less mess- result!

Thank you everyone for your kind words. :ghug: (and for not thinking I'm crazy for being upset about a fish) You're all so sweet! :)
No way!! Our remaining 15 baby fish (of the 17 that were spawned several months ago) are a total hoot, as they get all excited whenever you walk by the tank. "Gonna feed us? gonna feed us, huh?" :D

Now... about the Tamagochis, Krafty. We have 4 in our house. A more annoying toy has rarely been invented. (I should be careful though because if there is such a thing Kymaera will find it and send it to my kids.)

Ruffle the bunny for us, Zerospace! You're not only not crazy, you're super.
SME
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by SME »

Awwww! I'm so sorry to hear this. And I agree with Pudge, it's not just a fish but a family member. Big kudos to you for having one live for 20 years! None of my fish ever made it past 5 or 6, so you gave your fish a very long and happy life! It is never easy to lose a family member, but unfortunately all living things are made to die...can't remember where that quote is from but it is true. :(

Just remember your fish is up in heaven with all the other family members (pets). *pets you*
  • "If us girls can't be strong, then we can't protect the boys we love." - Naoko Takeuchi
  • "Anyone who sees me has a date with his maker." - Shinigami
  • "WHAT!??! Men in pink!? How bizarre!" - Vegeta
  • This message has been approved by Welcome Consumer...got questions? She's got answers. :P
yoshito

Post by yoshito »

O.O Whoa, 20 years. Sorta a congrats on him living that long. He saw a whole lot pass by his glass, including his crazy humans.

I wonder if there is such a thing as fish years... *goes off to ponder*
Click here if you agree with InuYasha.
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

Yep, 20 years is quite a long time - he survived moving a couple of times (in a tupperware container no less...), and he survived a bout of a similar illness to the one which took his life this time -- that happened about 2 years ago. To put it mildly, he survived a lot of things :), including his crazy humans going away for weeks at a time and leaving him with vacation feeders and such.

He always used to dance around by the glass when either of us were nearby... he knew when feeding time was and did his ritual dance and wiggling routine when we came over with the food. :) He was such a great fish - he had as much personality as any of my furry pets have ever had.

I used to swear he was the immortal goldfish because he lived through everything. Guess it was finally his time, but it's still sad. :hurt: Somewhere I have a photo that 4D took of him... I'll have to put it in a frame :D

You guys are all so sweet. :) Thanks again, everyone ^_^