Web Browser recomendations

Talk about anything you'd like! Play games, tell jokes, and share your life.
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Web Browser recomendations

Post by JWR »

Hi,

I have been having a lot of current problems with my current web browser MS Explorer that came with my home edition of XP.

I know some use other browsers such as Firefox.

What do you recomend both pro & con?
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
wELCOME cONSUMER
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by wELCOME cONSUMER »

I use Firefox as well.

Not every site is designed for Firefox, just like not every site is designed
for IE. Things like favicons for example. You can view them in both browsers,
but only Firefox can view animated ones.

Firefox also has a feature which causes "memory leak." This is supposed to
allow you to visit many sites and promote fast loading. Some people don't
have trouble with it, having a larger amount of RAM helps. Simply closing
the browser fixes it also.

The best part of Firefox is the interface and customizations.
The downloadable extensions are wonderful. You can make it do almost anything.
"Devoted to all things lovely to consume"
| Amazon | eBay | rubberslug | facebook |
Elfstalker
Sushi Ninja

Post by Elfstalker »

What IE problems are you having, Joe?

I use IE on my XP Home and Office versions with no problems.
"He knows the crimson of rage, and the azure of despair... but his eyes will never change; the purity of white."

Cel Gallery
http://rheytarian.rubberslug.com
graymouser
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by graymouser »

I use Firefox and have been very happy with it.

My brother really likes Opera and says it's very good. I've haven't had the need to change, but if you're shopping around it's probably worth checking out.
JWR

Post by JWR »

Elfstalker wrote:What IE problems are you having, Joe?

I use IE on my XP Home and Office versions with no problems.
Lately I have been getting a lot of these "We're sorry , IE has experienced a problem and must close , send Error Report"

I have sent the error reports and followed their links which basicly say my problem can be fixed by downloading Service Pack 2 which I already have. I even ordred a disc of it and reloaded it in case something got corrupted. Spyware & Virus scans come back clean so I'm looking at other browsers that might not have as many bugs.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
Grico
Kamisama - God

Post by Grico »

Well my friend who is in IT hates IE and basically says it is a huge security risk and only uses firefox. Myself, I am too lazy to switch even though it is on my computer.
Japoro
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by Japoro »

JWR wrote: I have sent the error reports and followed their links which basicly say my problem can be fixed by downloading Service Pack 2 which I already have.
I had that problem with IE a few years back. The only suggestion I can say is to make sure you have downloaded all the recent updates, and hopefully they have fixed your problem. :P Or you can ditch it all together like many of us have. :)

I use Firefox and have found it just as easy to use as IE. When adding Firefox, all your bookmarks from IE will be transferred over it and should be rather an uneventful transition as the two browsers are rather similar. I added the additional program of NoScript to my Firefox, and that allows me to control the java scripts that are displayed on the page and help cut down on lag from badly written scripts and to add more security.

Cons of Firefox for me have been that not every site supports Firefox. Not really missing much as they mostly have been sites written in flash or a Microsoft site. :P Sometimes getting Firefox to allow a cookie, say from your banks website can be a pain (clicking allow cookie from say from yourbank.com did nothing), but that has not been a problem for me since an update a few months back and fixed that problem.

I just started playing with Opera a few weeks ago and have found it to be an interesting browser. I have a love hate relationship with tabs, and Opera seems to love tabs. There are some very neat functions with this browser though not quite as user friendly as Firefox. Might be worth looking into, if you like to have several different web pages open at once as that seems to be one of it's strengths.