almost ran off the road today but with a new twist...

Talk about anything you'd like! Play games, tell jokes, and share your life.
soda
Jiggle Counter

almost ran off the road today but with a new twist...

Post by soda »

I commute by bike about 3 times a week. Been doing it since 93 and have 25,000+ commuter miles. This makes me an [insert derogatory word here] to most people. I'm also not your average passive, pants in the sock, big styrofoam helmet Fred on the bike. If you endanger my life, I will chase you down and make you fear bodily harm from my person so that you will never ever make my life (or any other cyclists life) less important that your time.

Anyway, it's cold here... about 10 degrees and we got a lot of snow the other day. The roads are clear but the snow has narrowed the roads. No problems until today when I'm cycling past the SPCA (think Cincinnati's humane society) and this F150 comes within inches of knocking me off the road. Tracy + near miss = instant rage I'm pissed and I'm about to shift to give chase but there's no need because the truck turned into the SPCA driveway less than 20 feet in front of me. WTF??? They couldn't wait 2 seconds for me to get past the driveway and then turn? So I follow the truck-it parks-I notice the handicap license plate-woman gets out-no eye contact-pitiful excuse about thinking I was getting out of the way (there is no place for me to go) and then walks into the SPCA to volunteer.

Apparantly she cares more about the lives of these dogs and cats than for human life. 8O

Right now I have one question: Are the sideview mirrors on the F150s designed to be forcefully pushed forward?
Last edited by soda on Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mandarake/YJ/YJ DBZ/YJ H/YJ GG HNK

Get some exercise. Ride a cyclist.
Han shot first!
You smell like updog.
Never, never, never do a google image search for goatse!
kittens
Koneko no kenshi

Re: almost ran off the road today but with a new twist...

Post by kittens »

soda wrote: Apparantly she cares more about the lives of these dogs and cats than for human life. 8O
Like me ;) ;)

10 points to knock down soda...... :run
Last edited by kittens on Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cats rule!
Baakay
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Baakay »

Geez.

People NEED to pay attention to their surroundings when they're driving a large lethal chunk of metal!!

It's amazing how many people are not aware that they are subject to the same traffic rules with respect to bicycles as they are to cars. She probably thought she had the right of way. Idjut. Or more likely, she didn't think at all.

I don't know that I'd have taken the particular "twist" you took ;) but I surely would have been pissed if you'd gotten hurt!
"The permanent temptation of life is to confuse dreams with reality. The permanent defeat of life comes when dreams are surrendered to reality."
James A. Michener, The Drifters
wELCOME cONSUMER
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by wELCOME cONSUMER »

soda wrote:I notice the handicap license plate
Was she actually handicapped? I greatly dislike it when people drive a relative's vehicle with labeling that does not apply to them. Especially if they abuse it by parking in handicapped spots. :x

Maybe she didn't see you. Sadly, no offense to anyone, I've noticed that women who drive big trucks cannot see properly. They are either too short or something, but they never seem to check their blind spots or they're not even able to clear the dashboard. I've had plenty of encounters with midgets in big trucks (speaking as a midget myself, of course). :D
"Devoted to all things lovely to consume"
| Amazon | eBay | rubberslug | facebook |
soda
Jiggle Counter

Post by soda »

I can only judge by what I saw for the short distance she had to walk but I didn't see anything that would indicate to me that she was handicapped. But realize that her adrenaline was pumping as well and this might have masked any obvious handicap that would normally appear when not all hyped up.

She saw me. When I asked her why she couldn't wait 2 seconds for me to pass the driveway she answered that she thought I was moving over. The reason she almost ran me down is because she didn't care*---or she and kittens have a point contest going on between them. :D

My first post was just a vent. I didn't really expect any replies or discussion.

*and that was the twist--not my reaction. The twist or irony is that she almost killed me on the way to care for dogs and cats that are safe and comfortable inside the SPCA.
Mandarake/YJ/YJ DBZ/YJ H/YJ GG HNK

Get some exercise. Ride a cyclist.
Han shot first!
You smell like updog.
Never, never, never do a google image search for goatse!
kymaera
Heroine Addict

Post by kymaera »

soda wrote:The twist or irony is that she almost killed me on the way to care for dogs and cats that are safe and comfortable inside the SPCA.
It's kinda like
(spoilers for Elfen Lied)
People don't blink too much when people are dismembered, mutilated and died horrible deaths. But kill one puppy...even off-screen and people recoil in horror.
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

And. Killing is wrong.
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
Majin_Vegeta_2028
Senpai - Elder

Post by Majin_Vegeta_2028 »

soda wrote:Are the sideview mirrors on the F150s designed to be forcefully pushed forward?
i know that some will fold towards the door, but i dont know if they fold away from the door ;)

"He has stolen my honor, and his debts must be paid!"
- Majin Vegeta

"... I'm going to verify my exsistence.."
- Gaara

"Beneath the courageous, there is nothing."
- Kakashi
Not Sir Phobos
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by Not Sir Phobos »

soda wrote:Right now I have one question: Are the sideview mirrors on the F150s designed to be forcefully pushed forward?
Short answer: yes
God's in his heaven, All's right with the world
kymaera
Heroine Addict

Post by kymaera »

There aren't a lot of bikers out here in general, so it's funny that I saw three adult bikers when I went from work to the post office to home after you posting this. The first one was bobbing and weaving all over the place...seemed to be drunk. After I got out of the post office, I passed him...and the cops who were questioning him. Then, on the way home, I had one biker blow through a red light turning a right turn in front of my left when I had the left turn light. And a few miles later, i saw another biker in front of me blow through a red light turning right and barely missed being hit by a car.

Not saying that you're a dangerous menace to society, soda (well..at least not over this ;) ). I have friends who bike a lot and don't pull stuff like that. But I just thought it was hilarious that I read your rant and the next time I drive, I see all this going on.
transmet
Senpai - Elder

Post by transmet »

It would do well for both drivers and bikers to always remember what my old man used to say:

In the ro-sham-bo of life, car beats biker/pedestrian... every time. :hurt:
RoboFlonne
Uguu...!

Post by RoboFlonne »

Kittens has so many points, I'm never going to catch up in points with Kittens! /wah

Where are those bikers you were talking about Kym-chan? Maybe if I try harder I can catch up!

/wah
Baakay
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Baakay »

soda wrote:*and that was the twist--not my reaction. The twist or irony is that she almost killed me on the way to care for dogs and cats that are safe and comfortable inside the SPCA.
Yeah, I figured as much :) But you have to admit your reaction was a good twist too! :P

It was well worth a nice long, loud vent.
"The permanent temptation of life is to confuse dreams with reality. The permanent defeat of life comes when dreams are surrendered to reality."
James A. Michener, The Drifters