MAC or PC?

Talk about anything you'd like! Play games, tell jokes, and share your life.

Which is the better computer? MAC or PC?

MAC is better
20%
PC is better
71%
I don't like my choices
9%

Total votes: 35

wELCOME cONSUMER
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by wELCOME cONSUMER »

I think some people have better luck with different systems. It helps a great deal if you know what you're doing as well. I prefer PC.
"Devoted to all things lovely to consume"
| Amazon | eBay | rubberslug | facebook |
Goldknight
RULER

Post by Goldknight »

I've issues with both Mac and PC, but I seem to have more issues with Mac. They freeze up on me while teaching my classes or just sit and spin their wheels. They take forever to process certain things. :roll: On the flip side PC can be a pain with antivirus. I'm not familiar with Linux, but have heard good things about it. Aren't you limited in programs you can use with it? Is it something you install after buying a computer? I'm just not familiar with it at all especially since I'm not the most computer literate. :emb
"Life can only be lived looking forward. It is understood when looking backwards" - Hadji From Real Adventures of Jonny Quest
Gold Knight's Cel Gallery - Rubberslug

morgan
Kamisama - God

Post by morgan »

blueheaven wrote:I've had nothing but trouble with MACs. On top of the compatibility issues, they freeze up worse than PC's ever could, and they take forever to run programs.
amen brother. I am a professional designer. I use 3D studio max, adobe premier pro, audition, after effects, encore, photoshop, illustrator, quark express, dreamweaver and a few others. I was a born and bred (or born and brainwashed) mac girl all through school. That is untill I started my own business and had to whip out the $$$ for computers. Now that I'm on PC I'd never go back. There are no differences any more in the design software that are made for both - even the key commands are pretty much standart these days. With mac every time it locked up (which is all the time) you had to hard re-start the thing. With pc the task manager allows you to just exit the offending program. Also, every time you dragged a folder some where it didn't actually copy it it just made shortcuts so I was always losing files and sometimes accidentaly deleting the originals. Now its been years since I've been on a mac so those might have been fixed.
One other issue - as a designer I make things look cool so people will spend more money on them. For me to buy a mac would be getting suckered at my own game.
And mac people can just be so elitist and smug - at the end of the day the designer makes the art not the operating system!!!!
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

How did it get there?
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
vapalla
Senpai - Elder

Post by vapalla »

You can exit any Mac program on it's own now. You right click it on the dock and hit quit. If it doesn't respond right away, you do it again and you hit force quit.

OS10 is a lot better than OS9. It seems a lot of the negative comments on Macs are based on a long obsolete operating system. I mean that's like comparing current Macs to a windows '98.
mac people can just be so elitist and smug
Generally, that's how PC people treat me when they find out I use a Mac.
wELCOME cONSUMER
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

vapalla wrote:
mac people can just be so elitist and smug
Generally, that's how PC people treat me when they find out I use a Mac.
I think a lot of the problem stems from the "life style" Mac offers. Those insipidly annoying ads don't help, pushing the Mac vs PC debate further and further. Different people prefer different things, some people know a little more about computers than others. I think you could probably get either system to shine if you really know what you're doing and can effectively exploit the strengths.

That said, I don't like Macs or the Mac cult. There's a PC cult too, to be sure, but only in overt response to the Mac movement. This is similar to the VW craze. People think buying a material good defines them as a person (not you or anyone here, just generally commenting on products that offer you a "life style"). I know someone personally who lost their spouse on a Volks Wagon messageboard. How sick is that? But this commentary is really beyond the strengths and weaknesses of the respective systems. This is more about social biases and really don't matter when choosing the right system for your personal needs.

With a PC, the trick is tweaking. Things like Crap Cleaner and copious other free programs online allow you to deactivate programs, delete files and customize the PC to maximize its hardware. Running clean and not taxing the hard drive (especially the RAM and virtual RAM) is crucial in optimizing the way the system runs. Typically, if you have a PC that freezes all the time and runs slow it's because the hardware is being taxed by needless things. It has nothing to do with the hard ware or system itself, but more so with the programs you're allowing to run in secret.

Also, if you have any interest in games at all, the Mac is not a good choice. What games can you play on a Mac? None. Everything is made for PC. Linux is even worse than Mac, in terms of compatibility. I don't play computer games, but it's still something worth mentioning because you have to question why nothing is made for the Mac.
EternityOfPain
Senpai - Elder

Post by EternityOfPain »

I dont like my choices... Where is Commodore 64 option? :roll:

In all serious though I would have to go with PC. I never owned a Mac and have always bought/ (past few years) build my own PC from parts online. Dont get me wrong I have nothing against Macs infact they are awesome for some high end technical programs not to mention there less pron to popups through the internet... I have always believed Macs are more for "non-gaming" individuals and because I used to play alot of games (much more then I do now) PC was the obvious choice for me.
I didnt attend the funeral but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. -Mark Twain
Anime runs my life. I'll leave it to anime to where my life leads me. -EoP
Anime I have Seen
Slippery slopes of hellish Ice.
wELCOME cONSUMER
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

EternityOfPain wrote:I have always believed Macs are more for "non-gaming" individuals and because I used to play alot of games (much more then I do now) PC was the obvious choice for me.
What's interesting about your statement here is that it contradicts the sentiments in those notable Mac ads I mentioned earlier (and Brian posted links concerning). This ad in particular suggests PCs are for the "boring hard workers," while Macs are geared towards individuals who like to have fun. See a strange contradiction there? I'm pretty sure gamers like to have fun but how can they when there's no games on Mac?
otakusin
Juuyaku - Executive

Post by otakusin »

I honestly had no preference until the recent Mac ads started running. They infuriate me so much that I now refuse to buy Mac. Anywho, that's just my two cents, lol.
We're gonna turn this team around 360 degrees!! -- Jason Kidd
blueheaven
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by blueheaven »

Alienware continues to make the best gaming PC's and notebooks.

http://www.alienware.com/product_detail ... KU-DEFAULT - Best Gaming Notebook 2006

http://www.alienware.com/product_detail ... KU-DEFAULT - Best Gaming Desktop

So, as Toni said, PC's are not just for working.
Time is but an illusion. Lunch time...doubly so.
Goldknight
RULER

Post by Goldknight »

I have an Alienware laptop and an HP desktop. I've always said when my desktop pukes I'll probably get the Alienware desktop. :emb
"Life can only be lived looking forward. It is understood when looking backwards" - Hadji From Real Adventures of Jonny Quest

Goldknight
RULER

Post by Goldknight »

I guess another good question would be which processor is best? AMD or Intel???