Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows(Possible *SPOILERS*)

Talk about anything you'd like! Play games, tell jokes, and share your life.

Did You Like The Book?

YES
96%
NO
4%

Total votes: 26

Ms. Poe
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows(Possible *SPOILERS*)

Post by Ms. Poe »

I figured there must be some Harry Potter fans on this board.

This thread may contain *SPOILERS*, and I ask everyone who posts them black them out with the SPOILER button.

I was lucky enough to get an advanced copy through an industry contact my family has. Reading the book has made me extremely depressed. The book way more than lives up to its hype, however.

I'm not depressed b/c it's the last book, but because of what happens to one of my favorite characters. The way J.K. starts the process, and then finishing up with what I'm talking about just makes my heart wrentch.

Don't worry...The Spoiler below is just the name of the chapter I'm referring to...
Once you read "The Prince's Tale" you'll understand...
Once everyone else has had a chance to read the book, I'll post more, but don't want to spoil it for everybody. Just needed to get that lil snippet out after finishing up last night.

I can't wait to hear what everyone has to say =)!
Image Image
blueheaven
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by blueheaven »

I got it through BitTorrent a few days ago, and finished it. I liked it, but the death toll was indeed high(and the deaths were surprising). My only disappointment was how Snape was handled. I expected more out of his character.
Time is but an illusion. Lunch time...doubly so.
Ms. Poe

Post by Ms. Poe »

I agree with you Brian.
Snape was always one of my favorite charachters next to Sirius Black. I wish there was more of him, but what happened to him in the end really killed me. It was so sad that he offered his memories up to Harry. Then, having Harry look at him as he died, so he can see Lily. *sniffles*
Image Image
moonrabitt

Post by moonrabitt »

I have not read it, do you mind If I ask who died? I've seen the movies, I have not read the book...I am just sooo courios...
-thanks
blueheaven
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by blueheaven »

I am not one for ruining books, so I will post this with a warning: DO NOT DRAG YOUR MOUSE OVER THIS UNLESS YOU WANT TO KNOW WHO DIES IN THE FINAL BOOK.

You should really read the book if you are a Potter fan, because many of the deaths are done so beautifully, while others are just gutting.

These are not all the deaths, just the more meaningful ones...
Tonks
Remus Lupin
Colin Creevey
Burbage
Hedwig
Mad-Eye Moody
Scrimegour
Wormtail
Dobby
Bellatrix
Crabbe
Fred Weasley
Snape
Harry(comes back to life a short time later)
Voldemort
It really is a fabulous book, and the last 250 pages gutted me. A LOT of my favorite characters died, and died horribly. But the ending was so right, given Harry's life of lonliness throughout his years.
kira
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by kira »

i havent really read any of the books, i should.

question, does any one feel like the movies never live up to the books?
Elfstalker
Sushi Ninja

Post by Elfstalker »

I haven't read any books at all. I've only seen the movies and I'm holding out for all books to be released in a nice collectors' boxed set.

It's hard to resist the spoilers though. Thanks for not giving away the end! :D
"He knows the crimson of rage, and the azure of despair... but his eyes will never change; the purity of white."

Cel Gallery
http://rheytarian.rubberslug.com
moonrabitt

Post by moonrabitt »

kira wrote: question, does any one feel like the movies never live up to the books?
I have not read the books either, so I can't really answer this. However I have heard the angry rants of some that say that the movie is missing things that happened in the book. The movies also leave little things out and change stuff around. So I guess that some would fell angry about that (but the book is too long and the movie can't show every little thing..)
But then again if you read the whole book and the book was excatly like the movie than I would think that the movie would seem less appealing since the readers know what wil happen?????
-That's just a guess though :D
SME
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by SME »

I bought the book when it came out Saturday but I've only had time to read the first chapter. How things start off in the beginning only foreshadows the rest of the book.

I can't wait to read the rest...I'm just swirling with tons of questions from the predecessors of this book.

As far as the movies are concerned, I think the first 4 were rather well done, leaving out certain parts of the book, but it kept the story flowing. There were a few parts that could have been done more "like the book" but overall I think the movies did an excellent job.

Now the OotP was slightly disappointing to me, as I just re-read the book before seeing the movie. To me, with a new director, the story seemed a lot more rushed and Harry got all of the spotlight, unlike the other 4 where although Harry was the main character, the others also had a significant role. Everyone else except Harry seemed to act more like "extras" rather than what was depicted in the other books. Yes, I know Harry stands out more in OotP, but that doesn't mean the rest of the characters were left in the back, as so it would seem in the movie. Don't get me wrong, the special effects were superb, and Umbridge was properly played, but some aspects of the movie did make me cringe (especially the death scene at the end...it should have been more dramatic).

Now, for the 6th and 7th movie, it better darn well be one that will knock you out of your seat, for I know they are action packed and more dark. These two movies should not be any shorter than the 2 hour 45 minute mark, or I'm going to be quite mad, knowing that they will probably leave more key parts out of it.
  • "If us girls can't be strong, then we can't protect the boys we love." - Naoko Takeuchi
  • "Anyone who sees me has a date with his maker." - Shinigami
  • "WHAT!??! Men in pink!? How bizarre!" - Vegeta
  • This message has been approved by Welcome Consumer...got questions? She's got answers. :P
xKAKASHIx
Kamisama - God

Post by xKAKASHIx »

Ive read it and loved it...when those books come out i dont do nething else...tv internet video games...JK rowlking deserves every dollar she made...no one has captured an audience over a book(s) like she has.
Harry I don't think really died...it seemed to me but was just knocked unconscious but i could be wrong
My favorite part of the book...
When harry used the ring to bring all the spirits back and marched into the forest to meet Voldemort...that was prolly one of my favorites of all the books
The movies do not do the books justice...so much is left out...though the first 2 books is pretty accurate the 3-5 are too long to put into a 2 hour movie they should make them 3 hours!.
We were at the beach ♪ ♪ Everybody had matching towels ♪ ♪ Somebody went under a dock ♪ ♪ And there they saw a rock ♪ ♪ But it wasn't a rock ♪ ♪ It was a rock lobster! ♪ ♪ Rock lobster! ♪ ♪ ROCK LOBSTER! ♪ ♪ ♪
Goldknight
RULER

Post by Goldknight »

Totally off the subject here, but I have to say xKakashix....

I TOTALLY LOVE YOUR SIG!!!!!!!!
"Life can only be lived looking forward. It is understood when looking backwards" - Hadji From Real Adventures of Jonny Quest
Gold Knight's Cel Gallery - Rubberslug

kamidake
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by kamidake »

Finally finished the last book and I really liked it! Books 5 and 6 was sort of a drag for me, they're ones I didn't bother to re-read, but I think I will go back and start book 7 over again. ^_^

Now for Spoilerific discussions:
I think I hurt me most when Lupin died, although I kind of knew he was going to, it was way to happy with him having a baby and naming Harry the godfather. And his death wasn't really described or witnessed, Harry just saw him and Tonks bodies lying there. *sniffle*

I always kind of knew Snape was on the good side and there has got to be some explanation why he was so horrible to Harry, but that whole chapter Prince's Tale just killed me. And to have him die like that, it's such a waste. And why isn't Snape's portrait in the Headmaster's office? Maybe he really isn't officially recognized as Headmaster?

The end of the book tidied up pretty well, although I wanted to know how George is faring without Fred, I mean, they're ALWAYS together, so what happens to George after it's all over?
"If ifs and buts are clusters and nuts, we'd all have a bowl of granola." -- Stephen Colbert
http://ix.rubberslug.com/
bulleta
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by bulleta »

kamidake wrote:
And why isn't Snape's portrait in the Headmaster's office? Maybe he really isn't officially recognized as Headmaster?

The end of the book tidied up pretty well, although I wanted to know how George is faring without Fred, I mean, they're ALWAYS together, so what happens to George after it's all over?
Just thought I'd pop in to say that J.K. Rowling did a Web Chat and actually answered those questions. ^_^ Here's a transcript:

http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/2007/ ... transcript

It goes without saying but spoilers abound in that link so don't click if you don't want to know.
kamidake
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by kamidake »

That explained so much! It's really cool that JK Rowling was willing to just sit there and get bombarded with questions. ^_^ Thanks for the link!
"If ifs and buts are clusters and nuts, we'd all have a bowl of granola." -- Stephen Colbert
http://ix.rubberslug.com/
blueheaven
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by blueheaven »

What I found fascinating about that chat transcript is just how much of the wizard world she has in her head. When she was asked to describe the Hufflepuff common room, she did so with great detail like she was standing there, even though she had never done so in the novels. You can tell she has a lot more story to tell. I'll bet you she writes another book within five years.