Your dead, Who gets your cels?

Talk about anything you'd like! Play games, tell jokes, and share your life.
ryoendymion
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by ryoendymion »

nee, i haven't really given this much thought... my family wouldn't really know what to do with them (in fact, i don't think they know exactly how extensive my collection. my parents don't approve of frivolous hobbies - and basically anything anime/fantasy/scif/not-serious related is frivolous in their eyes.. ick.. :x so i have't really been forthcoming about collecting)

i do have a brief catalogue, with what i paid for each cel, written down so if they were looking to sell them, they'd have an idea of how much it's worth but i'm not sure they'd even have any idea on how to go about selling them...

um.. so basically, it comes down to 'i don't know'.. X| i guess i'll figure it out whenever i get around to making a will

this is slightly off topic but in thinking about the future, this question suddenly came up in my mind. do people have insurance or other things for what to do if something were to happen to their collection?
Image Image
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

If for some reason I die young, I have left verbal instructions for my mother to get help from one of my cel buddies (that I know in RL) to liquidate my collection. A few choice pieces are being set aside for certain individuals, but most will probably hit eBay or be sold on Y!J by my friends in Japan.

It's not something I have though extensively about, since I'm quite young and healthy at this point in my life.
Cordelia
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Cordelia »

Probably to my other half or family. They can choose to liquidate or keep...as long as cels are not destroyed, I don't care. If they opt to sell it, they prob will get a shock at how much money I've blown on these pieces of plastic :P
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

EternityOfPain wrote:
Keropi wrote:What about your other JK stuff EoP? :D

Love Hina
Green Green
Sister Princess
*rasies hand* Ill take these off your hands 8)
Woh...that's interesting. I never thought you'd say "Sister Princess". 8O :D
EternityOfPain wrote:As far as my other JK stuff hum..... Ill get you down for these pieces I own:

"Yoko Distressed" & "Yoko Rage 4"
Yes!! \o/ :jump

That's what I need. More shots of angry girls holding sharp objects!! Fuu...Fuu...Fuu (quiet laughter) :evilblk
Sugarflower
Senpai - Elder

Post by Sugarflower »

I do know whom I'd like some of my cels to go to if I were to die:
Kittens - my Mikan Enikki cel collection.
Nene - my Ryouga cels.
McMurphy - my Dragon Quest collection.
Not sure about the rest of my collection though.

I would like to have my Mahoujin Guru Guru collection buried with me if possible. :emb Unless I could find someone worthy of them. :P I would need a pretty large coffin to hold them though!

~Sugar
EternityOfPain
Senpai - Elder

Post by EternityOfPain »

Keropi wrote:
EternityOfPain wrote:

Love Hina
Green Green
Sister Princess
*rasies hand* Ill take these off your hands 8)
Woh...that's interesting. I never thought you'd say "Sister Princess". 8O :D
EternityOfPain wrote:As far as my other JK stuff hum..... Ill get you down for these pieces I own:

"Yoko Distressed" & "Yoko Rage 4"
Yes!! \o/ :jump

That's what I need. More shots of angry girls holding sharp objects!! Fuu...Fuu...Fuu (quiet laughter) :evilblk
lol yup. I have seen soo much anime.. Not as much as some on the board but my current count would most likely be above 300 different series at least. 8). Sister princess didnt have a very strong plot.. but i sure liked the female character designs :wink:
I didnt attend the funeral but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. -Mark Twain
Anime runs my life. I'll leave it to anime to where my life leads me. -EoP
Anime I have Seen
Slippery slopes of hellish Ice.
JuniorMintKiss
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by JuniorMintKiss »

Hmm, I suppose my husband would get them, along with everything else that's mine, if I were to die. But I'd like to leave my InuYasha cels with my younger sister, as she is the only one in my family that will watch anime with me. Sheesh, she may get them all, I just don't know!
iwakuralain16
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by iwakuralain16 »

I amstill dealing out my cels right now... LOL i will give my BF one to remember me by...(HAHAHA), EoP wants my Aya crying cel, Nene gets my chidori cels and Buttrfly gets the rest of the lot. I really need to make a living will for things like this. @_@
otakusin
Juuyaku - Executive

Post by otakusin »

Cordelia wrote:they prob will get a shock at how much money I've blown on these pieces of plastic
My hubby may survive me but not for long... that right there may just make him follow suit with a massive heartattack :puzzled

Ahh EoP you remembered how I love that shot :woot: even so dun die just yet, lol /gg

Also, concerning this...
ryoendymion wrote:do people have insurance or other things for what to do if something were to happen to their collection?
Some cels are worth it to do so. I believe there's a past thread speaking of good collector's insurance or how to go about getting it.
We're gonna turn this team around 360 degrees!! -- Jason Kidd
kamidake
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by kamidake »

I have thought about this before, and since neither my boyfriend or anybody else in my family knows a damn about cels, they'll probably all go to ebay. And the money will be used to pay off my student loans. :P
"If ifs and buts are clusters and nuts, we'd all have a bowl of granola." -- Stephen Colbert
http://ix.rubberslug.com/
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

I've given this quite a bit of thought. When I go, I want my collection to reside in a museum. I would attach a few stipulations to this "gift" of sorts....namely...

1) My direct family(and their descendants) retain control over the art however, are not permitted to sell, remove from the museum, trade, seperate, destroy, etc. the artwork. The artwork can be transferred to a different museum should the original museum either close down or be unable to provide a secure home for the collection. The new location would be decided by colaborating with both the family and museums' wishes.

2) My collection can not be sold, traded, seperated, removed, destroyed or any other action that might compromise the intregrity of the collection. If the museum is forced to close, changes themes or suffers extreme damage to the point that it must be close, then the collection would be 'loaned' to another museum where it can be displayed or reside safely and securely until it can be displayed.

-----------------------------------

I've always felt that art should be displayed so that others can appreciate it, and that's why I would have a hard time taking anything to the grave with me. Not only would it destroy whatever cel/sketch I took, but what use would I have for it?

I've spoken to a few curators locally about the possibility of doing something like this. They seem to be quite positive about it as animation art is a popular and innovative media. If the ticket sales for the SF Asian Art Museum's display of Tetsuya's works was any indication as to its popularity and appreciation as an art form, I would not be surprised if more and more museums pop up that are geared towards the preservation of cels and CG related materials.

It might be because I'm more sensitive to animation art displays now than I was when I was much younger, but, at least in the San Francisco Bay Area, there's a wider distribution of animation art displays. The recent SFMOMA display at the San Francisco Airport features cels and sketches from a private collection of Looney Tunes related goods. This is a rare move on SFMOMA's part as they typically choose more traditionally oriented items(ie. Indonesia wood carvings, Chinese dragon vests, etc.) to display at the airport. I suppose that the next decade or so will prove interesting as animation media appears to be steadily growing.
ZombieBunny
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by ZombieBunny »

I will my cels to my family who in turn can sell them and go have fun with the money. I don't want them feeling bad the whole time. I want them to enjoy themselves after I am gone and remember me by doing so :)

Although I would like my children to keep one specific piece and pass it down to their children and so on. :)
buttrflym
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by buttrflym »

Hmmm...if I had to give them to someone....

AnC Cels: iwakuralain16 (with the condition she never sell them!) but in reality I have given my family her name to ask how much each piece is worth. I haven't decided if I would want them sold or not. :D Sorry Iwak! Though there is one or two that my Hubby would be required to keep.

Spongebob Cels: Hubby
Family Guy and Futurama Cels: Hubby

Cool World: Dad (he claims some are his anyways but I have proof they were Christmas gifts)

Sailor Moon: Not sure, any takers? Most of my SM collector friends have moved on so...

Ah My Goddess: Probably SME as long as she puts in writing that Celestine will always be the ultimate guy for Belldandy.

Again, to sell or to give is the ultimate question!
pixie_princess
Kamisama - God

Post by pixie_princess »

Up for grabs. Who wants these pieces of paper? Could you please raise your hand(s): \o/

Priestess Miaka pan
I'll give her a good home. ^_~

buttrflym wrote:Hmmm...if I had to give them to someone....
Sailor Moon: Not sure, any takers? Most of my SM collector friends have moved on so...
Again, to sell or to give is the ultimate question!

I'd be honored to have them in my care, and to reunite the Galaxia Cel with the corresponding Genga I have for the scene ^_^

As for my items(cels douga genga layouts ect),they'd go:

*First to my husband, and then to my daughters.
He feels the same as I do, and wouldn't seperate the sketches from
the cels, or sell sections of the cuts.
If there were a museum interested in taking care of it for us and
allowing the family to retain ownership, he'd probably go that route.
Though, I think one the only few things that they would be interested
in is that Serenity vs Chaos, and possibly one of the sequences
(genga/douga/layout).

*My daughters would then get them when they are old enough.They are
both very much into Sailor Moon, with my youngest being especially
so. I'm pretty sure that by the time they were to inherit them, they'd
be old enough to take care of them.

Otherwise, if my husband and I both bite the bullet at the same
time, they'd go to my brother who knows how to take care
of these, and could do so until the girls are older.

*My son hasn't shown too much interest in the cels I have, since
most of it is girly stuff anyways. He'd probably get all the Hamtaro
settei and copy genga I have since he loves Hamtaro. Again, the
same thing would apply. My husband or brother would have them
under their care until Max was old enough.

*My family/decendants are not allowed to sell/give away/seperate/ destroy sketches/genga/preproduction artwork from the matching cels and/or eachother. They are allowed to have it in a museum for safekeeping/display.

*Under no circumstances are they to go to my sister-in-law. She does not like Sailor Moon at all, and she would sell these all in a heart beat without remorse. Worst case scenario with her would be destruction of the animation cels while in her possession. I think you'll understand why I do not wish them to go to her.

I do have what I paid for each cel/douga/genga/layout/settei set/ect marked in my Rubberslug Gallery. Futhermore, I do have most of my items that were purchased on Yahoo Japan labled in my cel books with their winning bid price in yen. This is purely for informational/insurance reasons only. Prices on RS include an anotation of what I spent on shipping for said item, or, in a group purchase situation, the shipping costs were divided and distributed evenly across each item. Rounding up to the nearest penny.
Last edited by pixie_princess on Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shampoo
Kiba-phile

Post by Shampoo »

awwww thanks Brian and Gabe! You guys are too sweet :D
*huggle glomps*
:friends:
thou I'd never want to acquire your beauties in such gruesome methods.
:nuts: :wow:
eeeep! Plus you 2 are much more fun alive lol
:rollin /no1 :cheers :wink:

as for the topic question (IF i was taking it seriously lol):
I've actually already got an arrangement, since my cel-senpai and I met on
anime-beta its kinda obvious if I should croak, most will go to him :emb
:hitting: :crackup:
however, if we should both expire together (oh.. like car crash)
I guess I'd want it to be distributed the following way:

H.A: Megan
my original arts: Brian
Nadesicos/Kare Kano: Craig
Ranma cels: aernath (ranma-boy), Joe (akane), Collette and Zag (ryogas)
Shampoo's can go to my mom (so she can remember me by) and Curt
Naruto: my Narutard peeps will have to duke it out because I'd want them
split amongst Kiri-chan, Vampy, Rob, Nida, and Angela

and finally the Kiba's: get creamated w/ my body LOL!
:dlook :pimp

basically Id want my stuff to go to hardcore fans so the artwork can be
loved and cared-for as I once did. :)