Yamato Live Action Clip

Talk about anything you'd like! Play games, tell jokes, and share your life.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Yamato Live Action Clip

Post by Keropi »

I was looking up info trying to figure out when I watched the Yamato anime in Los Angeles and stumbled onto this:

http://www.scificool.com/first-footage- ... ip-yamato/

Looks pretty neat! I enjoyed Yamato as a kid. I always wanted that two and a half foot long model they kept in a Japanese shop near my old place. Strange though...Wikipedia says that Yamato aired in the U.S. in 1979, but I'm pretty sure I seen it earlier than that. Hmm. Maybe I seen it on a Japanese station here in L.A.? ?^_^?
Quacker
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Quacker »

Great find Keropi!! That looks absolutely freakin' awesome!! And according to that trailer, being released this month :)

'Star-blazers' was the first anime I ever watched - before I even knew what anime was!!
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

How were you able to watch it? On tape? :)
yoshito
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by yoshito »

Niiice... Hope that someone brings that one over here.

If not, I'll so want to get it on DVD at least from Japan.

1979 huh? Wow... Well I remember watching it as a kid so... :^^:
Click here if you agree with InuYasha.
iceman57
Senpai - Elder

Post by iceman57 »

They need Isao Sasaki for the songs !!!
THE ART OF ANIME Cultural Exhibition
HD video trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS51tjKlhB0
Facebook fan page: http://www.facebook.com/theartofanime
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Hmm....now that I think about it, there's no way I could have been watching the first Yamato TV series after 1977. I know I watched it at the first place I lived at and my dad sold that house in 1977 at the latest (might have even been 1976. My dad is trying to track down the date).

Weird. I wonder if what I saw came from a Hawaiian aired dub or what not. I can't remember if I watched it subbed or dubbed. I would think what I saw was dubbed, but heck if I recall much from that time period. I just remember the show and how cool it was.

I still can't find my 2002 calendar. Don't know if I'm ever going to find it. :(
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

There's another Yamato Live Action Movie trailer here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoHXxWg7pw4

Looks pretty good. :)
graymouser

Post by graymouser »

I can't remember exactly when it aired, but the late 70's sounds about right. Our family lived in Los Angeles at the time, and I remember both my brother and myself getting up early in the morning just to watch it. I think it aired at about 6:00 am or earlier. I am sure it was dubbed. I can remember being able to sing along with the opening song in English.

Like someone else said, we did not know what anime was either. At the time though, there was no other cartoon with such a strong ongoing storyline. The only other ones that I can remember were Speed Racer and Kimba. The problem with both of those was that it seemed like the episodes were rarely aired in order, so it was nearly impossible to follow their storylines.

I am surprised at how excited I am about seeing it as a live action. Thank you so much Keropi for the information. :)

*EDIT* I am not going to be very helpful with regard to exactly what year it was on TV. I am pretty sure it aired in Los Angeles while I was in junior high (could be wrong though), which would have been in 1977, 1978, or 1979. Oh man I am dating myself.
Sue
Kamisama - God

Post by Sue »

Yay! It's Kimutaku!
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Never was able to track down when my dad moved. Let's just say I seen it 1975-1977 and leave it at that. :D

Can't tell how long it might aired out here either through reruns which makes tracking down the date even more difficult. Thanks for the info graymouser. :)
Golden Boy

Post by Golden Boy »

From what I recall, the movie (which was a cut-up of the series) aired around 1975-ish. I remember it aired at least twice on KTLA, before they started airing the actual series in the morning. That may have been around 1979. I think they also aired the second series, The Comet Empire.

That was the bestest time for anime fans: Gatchaman and Yamato on the english channels and then kimba, getta robo, raideen, etc on the japanese channels (sometimes subbed!). Also, you had the sentai shows: go-rangers (the original power rangers), giant robo, ultraman, etc.

The next major anime influx won't be until Robotech arrives.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Yep...it was a good time. Lot's of classics aired during that time.

I remember wanting a Mach 5 when I was a kid. :)
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

They keep adding more action scenes to these Live Action Yamato trailers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJhJHoHUvX4

Looks pretty fun. :)
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

Worth noting: Takashi Yamazaki is the director of the live-action Yamato movie. Yamazaki did a lot of anime work in the 90s, including storyboarding and episode direction for Hyper Police, Fancy Lala, and Yu Yu Hakusho. He then moved to CGI work for video games like Onimusha 3: Demon Siege.

Then he shifted to live action movie directing and made a huge impression with Always: Sunset on Third Street (2005), which won twelve Japanese Academy Awards, including honors for Best Film, Best Direction, and Best Screenplay (also written by Yamazaki). This film, followed by a successful sequel in 2007, has given him considerable fame in Japanese cinematic circles, as well as a growing number of invitations from foreign film festivals.

The Battleship Yamato project is his newest release, and sounds as if it combines his skills in all three of the genres in which he worked.

Don't know if this is a conscious allusion or just a coincidental use of two very common Japanese names, but Takashi Yamazaki is also the name CLAMP gave to the very creative liar in the Cardcaptor Sakura saga who rarely opens his eyes.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Woh...I didn't know he had so much background experience. It's good have someone with knowledge of the industry working on a movie like this.

I wonder how much a live action Macross movie would cost.

It's surprising how few repeating names there are of main characters in anime. You figure with all the characters they've had over the years there would be a lot more of them. I often look up names of anime characters to remind myself of who someone is talking about and frequently only one anime name will show up on the first page of the search.