What Else Do You Collect?

Talk about anything you'd like! Play games, tell jokes, and share your life.
TMarkS
Anime Geek

What Else Do You Collect?

Post by TMarkS »

I think we all have the collector's mentality here. Besides collecting anime, what else do you collect?

I used to collect Hot Wheels up until about 10 years ago. Now I collect pieces of American history. I have a full size Superman style phone booth with folding door. A traffic light and a walk/don't walk sign. Both of which are wired to cycle as though they were still in service. An old radio from 1936 and I just bought my first arcade machine.
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Post by theultimatebrucelee »

used to collect coins, bills and stamps in elementary school and also trading cards. first grade I used to pick up pocket full of random wired looking rocks on my way to school and home.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Re: What Else Do You Collect?

Post by Keropi »

TMarkS wrote:I think we all have the collector's mentality here. Besides collecting anime, what else do you collect?
Right now, nothing else really besides the anime production artwork.

When I was a kid I collected U.S. postage stamps and U.S. coins/currency. I collected new comic books and coke cans as a teenager. In college and beyond I collected older comic books and sports cards (mainly baseball and basketball cards). In the early 1990s I collected movie star autographs. Mostly they were from pre-1980 stars on mostly 8X10 inch black and white photographs (to avoid the color photo deterioration).
eyes0nme19
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by eyes0nme19 »

I was quite the collector as a kid... :P
List of things I used to or currently collect:

Sailormoon stickers
Dollar coins
Pogs
Marbles
Barbies
Giga pets/Tamagochis
Foreign bills
Beanie babies
Yu-gi-oh cards
Harry Potter cards
Harry Potter books
Hannari Tofu
Hello Kitty jewelry
San-x Rilakkumas
DVDs
Manga books
Anime figures
Belldandy16
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by Belldandy16 »

wow ive spent so much on my collections through the years i could probably retire now. LOL :hurt:
lesseeee....
when i was little it was My Little Pony dolls,
followed by...
care bear stuffed animals
trading cards
comic books,
and now anime/american animation cels.
doesnt sound like much but i had very long runs with all of that stuff.
iceman57
Senpai - Elder

Post by iceman57 »

Other collections ?... Not really, just from time to time buying a videogame.
I think I collect coins/currency from my travels around the globe because I don't know why but I like keep some samples of each visited country.

Owh yeah I remember a thing, when I was around 10, I collected decorated sugar samples (yeah you can laugh on me) XD XD XD XD

Nelson : "Ha ha !"
Last edited by iceman57 on Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
THE ART OF ANIME Cultural Exhibition
HD video trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS51tjKlhB0
Facebook fan page: http://www.facebook.com/theartofanime
sletia
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by sletia »

Transformers. :sweatdrop
~Hellmaster-sama~
Rabid collector of the little demon
Killua
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Killua »

Used to collect US coins with a smattering of other foreign currency. Have a very extensive keychain collection although I stopped buying those a few years ago. Also collect some video game memorabilia like Chrono Trigger keychains and cards and Final Fantasy VI keychains, cards, and pencil toppers. Also some Xenogears stuff. :) When I was very young I collected rocks.

Also have a few thousands books and about five hundred dvds, if you want to call those collections. More of a personal library to me.
Sky Rat
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Sky Rat »

Oh boy, I definitely have a collector’s mentality.

Things I currently collect... non-anime art (mostly paintings, woodblock prints, engravings,) pottery, and (this'll sound weird) wooden bird toys (that’s birds carved out of wood, not toys for birds, heh.)

In the anime vein but non-cel I collect merchandise from my favorite show Weiss Kreuz (haha shocking, yah?). And manga.

I've really managed to par my collecting addiction down. When I was a kid I collected freaking everything. Fossils, shells, stamps, coins, post cards, baseball cards, comic books, depression glass...I could list dozens of things. I still have most of these old collections but I don't actively pursue them anymore. And most of its stashed in my parent’s attic because I don’t have the space to collect lots of things in my apartment.
star-phoenix
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by star-phoenix »

I had a collecting habit since I was really little, and it just progressed to more and more craziness! Here are some of the things I collected:

Comic Books
Barbies
Transformers
Dolls
Beanies
Paintings
Hot Wheels
My Little Ponies
Trolls

And the list goes on! LOL :-)
Caroline

Post by Caroline »

i also collect:

-junko mizuno originals X|
-instant cameras
-vintage my little pony

i know there's other mlp collectors here as well! :wink:
Kata
Sakabatō Sheath

Post by Kata »

I used to collect coins and postal stamps. I had a huge collection of both. Lots of rare pieces. I left all of it with my father when I moved away from Europe, including some China that my Mom is holding onto and some special Arabian swords that my father again is holding onto. >_<

Up to this day I still collect Porcelain things. I have a large Swan collection and kitties, birds and so on. I also collect China and paintings (but I haven't really inquired any China and paintings for years. I just haven't found anything of interest), and I have a large Movie collection. I have lots of Japanese Porcelain sets and pottery. I also collect Japanese Tea sets *_* and Sake sets (bottles and cups). And not to forget I do collect Katana's and any kind/type of sword and old daggers and knifes. I definitely collect Dragons, which I still buy when I see nice ones regardless if it's pictures, paintings, pottery, porcelain and so on of Dragons, which same goes with Tigers. I love Tigers.

I do have to admit that for the last 10 plus years, collecting Original Production art, original drawings by creators/directors and Post Production art and of course Manga have been my main focus. But then looking at my collection I still collect swords even in anime/manga art, so that never changed.
Last edited by Kata on Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
KT
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by KT »

When I was a kid I would collect...

DBZ figures
Anything DBZ (cards, toys, etc)
Yugioh cards
Yugioh cels
Anime cels/sketches

Now I don't collect cels as much anymore, I somewhat collect designer brand bags...Prada, Chanel, etc 8) :P
beatrush
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by beatrush »

I kinda stop collecting from my other hobbies, but....

Vintage Transformers
Gi Joes
Comic Art
Rare Videos Games and Video Game Systems.
toonybabe

Post by toonybabe »

When I was little I collected rocks, shells, The Littlest Pet Shop toys, My Little Pony and Sonic the Hedgehog Archie Comic Books (as well as other Sonic merchandise - I even had Sonic shampoo!).

Nowadays I don't collect Sonic comics anymore. Their quality has really gone down hill - I am only interested in the first 50 issues, although I am on the hunt for original art.

If I had the money I would start to collect Littlest Pet Shop again - Hasbro has brought it back and the designs are so cute, but there are also a ton more now. When I see one that I really like I snatch it up, so I have a few sitting on my shelf.

I have a lot of graphic t-shirts, most of them limited edition. I buy them from Threadless.com (especially when they have $10 t-shirt sales). I also get them at a discount from Delia's and Alloy because I work at their call center. Sometimes I get some from Hot Topic and 80sTees.com. Some I buy on my own, some I get for birthdays and Christmas. I have no idea how many I have, probably over 50-60 so I guess you could say I have a collection.

I am slowly starting to collect children's picture books (nice hardcover editions). There are certain fine artists/illustrators that I really enjoy and would like to start buying their original art, but that would cut into my cel collecting budget!

I am reading a book right now called the Business of Children's Entertainment by Norma Odom Pecora. She has a chapter where she talks about the toy industry's discovery in the late 1970's that children love to collect things. That is when they started funding children's programming and cartoons with lots of different characters that could be turned into toys. It all started with the Smurfs and eventually led to shows like Pokemon with hundreds of characters for children to buy and collect!