What Else Do You Collect?

Talk about anything you'd like! Play games, tell jokes, and share your life.
KT
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by KT »

Shampoo wrote: Speakin of which did you hear about McQueen's suicide????
:OMG /sob
Totally blew me away, he was so young! :bawl
And so dies with him a kick-ass label...

YES I HEARD!! :( :(

I am sooo upset. He had such great ideas and it's saddening to know he was so troubled :/ I've always wanted a pair of pumps from his lines...They are so beautiful! I actually want to buy something from his current collections since it is his last original works but Im pretty broke so I might have to just shell out for a scarf or something (So that way I can say I do own something he created since he is gone :( )

And people always try to make a quick buck when someone is misfortunate :(
toonybabe
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by toonybabe »

So, I was in Joann Fabrics yesterday and while I was in line waiting to check out I was leafing through Stuffed Magazine - it features homemade dolls, plushies and toys. There was a feature story about this artist:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scrumptiou ... 044625573/

She creates her own hand made plushies in the shape of food and monsters. I totally fell in love with her creations and headed over to her Etsy.com store to see how much she was selling them for. I thought the prices were reasonable but I wasn't able to purchase anything because she was sold out (thats ok, I will wait for her to make more...).

BUT I did get sucked into the awesomeness of Etsy.com. Before I knew it I had signed up for an account and spent like 3 hours online looking at handmade plushies. I ended up purchasing some, cutting into some of my cel allowance. Here are links to some of what I bought:

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?li ... d=38942148
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?li ... d=32340794
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?li ... d=41517118
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?li ... d=41501135

I don't know how long those links will stay up, but I can always post photos once they come in the mail. I feel a little foolish to be spending so much money on stuffed animals even though I am an adult, but I am a such a sucker for anything hand made, anything one-a-kind and anything with character/personality. I thought these guys would look cool hanging out in my studio, watching me while I paint and work on projects. Most of the prices were really great too - some were a little over $30 but most of what I bought was under $15. It really is a drop in the bucket compared to what I spend on cels. And I gotta say, some of these Etsy sellers are really talented - I consider these little works of art!

So, ya, now I collect hand-made plushies and sock animals. Woo-hoo. :cucu
TMarkS
Anime Geek

Post by TMarkS »

I've suddenly started collecting pachinko machines. The first was purchased about a month ago. It's based on Star Wars as you can see. The second I purchased this weekend. It's a much older and more traditional machine.

Pachinko machines are used in modern day Japanese gambling establishments.

Image Image

alyssium
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Collecting

Post by alyssium »

OMG you can buy Pachinko machines???

I collect:

Anime
Manga
Plushies
and ABJD (dollfie dreams.... equally as addictive as cels)
xx alyssium xx
BeautifulAlone
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by BeautifulAlone »

Sky Rat wrote: In the anime vein but non-cel I collect merchandise from my favorite show Weiss Kreuz (haha shocking, yah?).
I use too as well. Though I mostly collected concert memoriablia. Sadly, I sold most of it along w/my cel collection 6 or 7 years ago. :l

I do still have my "Kitten's House Flower Shop STAFF" tshirt and my "Das Ewige Dasein" concert replica jacket -- which I love, but am too paranoid to ever wear!!!^^

I actually don't think I have a "collector's mentality", as I grew up with a "pack rat" so sometimes I feel like it's a fine line. :? Unless it's something of value (like cels). For me, I have expensive tastes (ugh.) and like spending my hard earned money on myself...'cuz let's face it, no one else will. X|

I do collect weaponry, just not too much anymore since I have no where to display it. :(

I use to collect My Little Ponies...still have them all, too (300 some strong). :D

I use to horde anything related to Friesian horses, too, but since buying my own, I no longer feel the need to do that. :wink:
"Like a lonely flower, I wilt a bit. Like a lonely star, I bathe in the evening light. Then with a blank face keep murmuring to someone,
'Ah, I'm not lonely...'"
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

Over the years I have collected a lot of different things. Watches, Firearms, F1 car models.

Currently I still collect:
Comic art
H. P. Lovecraft 1st printing in verious magazines such as Weird Tales or Amazing Stories from the 20's & 30"s.
Signed Hockey Sticks from LA Kings players.
Randy Bowen Statutes.
Tetsuro Sawada Lithographs.
Cats :cat
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

Currently I collect:

* animation artwork :D
* vintage Rainbow Brite dolls (does anyone here know Portuguese?)
* Francis Marshall original art
* 1950s whistle mugs
* skulls and skeletons (yes, this is legal and no, it's not as creepy as it sounds)
* antiques

I'm sure there are other, minor, collections that are currently being collected. But those are my major ones. :)
Last edited by ReiTheJelly on Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blueheaven
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by blueheaven »

I am a huge fan of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and my favorite character was Willow. So, I collect anything Willow. My favorite piece is a poster signed by every cast member and villain from the series.

I also collect Baseball cards and other memorabilia of my favorite player all time, Roger Clemens.

Time is but an illusion. Lunch time...doubly so.
Sky Rat
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Sky Rat »

BeautifulAlone wrote:
Sky Rat wrote: In the anime vein but non-cel I collect merchandise from my favorite show Weiss Kreuz (haha shocking, yah?).
I use too as well. Though I mostly collected concert memoriablia. Sadly, I sold most of it along w/my cel collection 6 or 7 years ago. :l

I do still have my "Kitten's House Flower Shop STAFF" tshirt and my "Das Ewige Dasein" concert replica jacket -- which I love, but am too paranoid to ever wear!!!^^
Hahaha. The concert stuff is the one thing I don't really bother to collect. I think the only concert thing I really have is a long sleeve T-shirt.... I have the Koneko staff shirt too. I've worn each just once so far. I don't really see a point in having something I find that cool if no one ever sees it...on the other hand I agree being paranoid not wanting to ruin them. So I justify wearing them in a once a year to an anime con scenario but not more than that.

I've always been most interested in things with images of the characters on them (like all the chibi stuff) or things that are replicas of things the characters would actually have...like stuff with the Koneko logo on them or the guys’ jewelry, etc.

I USED to be a pack rat myself. I think I’m pretty reformed. I don’t really buy any anime things any more except for the occasional WK find. I used to need every action figure-plush-keychain-etc from every show I liked. I’ve sold off or given away most of those things at this point.

….I think I must have been the only person in my generation who didn’t ever collect MLP though, lol. I think I had two, tops. Maybe only one. Deprived childhood?!
BeautifulAlone
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by BeautifulAlone »

Sky Rat wrote: Hahaha. The concert stuff is the one thing I don't really bother to collect. I think the only concert thing I really have is a long sleeve T-shirt.... I have the Koneko staff shirt too. I've worn each just once so far. I don't really see a point in having something I find that cool if no one ever sees it...on the other hand I agree being paranoid not wanting to ruin them. So I justify wearing them in a once a year to an anime con scenario but not more than that.

I've always been most interested in things with images of the characters on them (like all the chibi stuff) or things that are replicas of things the characters would actually have...like stuff with the Koneko logo on them or the guys’ jewelry, etc.
I love all the Wk seiyuu and love them as a unit! I also loved "Mind Dive"!

I did have an official release pair of Ken's goggles! :wink:
"Like a lonely flower, I wilt a bit. Like a lonely star, I bathe in the evening light. Then with a blank face keep murmuring to someone,
'Ah, I'm not lonely...'"
Shampoo
Kiba-phile

Post by Shampoo »

blueheaven wrote:I am a huge fan of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and my favorite character was Willow. So, I collect anything Willow. My favorite piece is a poster signed by every cast member and villain from the series.
Wow! I'm impressed!! So many too! I had no idea
there were that many actin figures for the series. I've only seen
a few in comic store/book stores
:bow :bow :deek
I love the way you have everything set up on the shelf
w/ the Buffy goodies and the posters acting as a backdrop.
You gave me a nifty idea for decorating
(well.. once I'm no longer in an apt :emb)
:wink:
blueheaven
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by blueheaven »

Thanks. I got the idea from a cop friend of mine. He collects star wars figures and displays them like that. I got the hutch years ago for almost nothing.
Time is but an illusion. Lunch time...doubly so.