What do you do for a living?

Talk about anything you'd like! Play games, tell jokes, and share your life.
dude_moose
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by dude_moose »

I'm in my last semester of college (BA in Asian Studies and a minor in Int'l Relations), and currently looking for a job...

Right now I work part time at the world's best hotel administration and management library (world's only?? lol), at Cornell's Statler Hotel School. I also worked at a public library in high school. I'm very familiar with libraries...
Maiko
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Maiko »

I used to work in animation, but got laid off with the majority of my friends when Disney, Fox Animation and etc. began closing down their 2-D departments. Still ongoing. A bunch of people including 2 colleagues over at "The Simpsons" got laid off just the other month.

So, I am a full-time, proffessionally licensed poker and blackjack dealer and a free-lance illustrator. I've been dealing for over 7 years now, and it's extremely easy money ( made $3000 in tips in 40 minutes once ) but it's a ruthless and sometimes violent proffession, and it can really break you down, sometimes. As for freelance, currently lead artist on a limited edition series coming out from Dark Horse comics. My dream is to eventually quit dealing and either survive on freelance alone or else get back into animation.
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

So many medical professionals here! Wow! :)

By schooling, I'm an Astronomer & Astrophysicist. By work experience, I'm both a Technical Writer and Web Developer (programmer) :D. My favorite occupation is definitely web development by far (as much as I love what I went to school for, I love what I do now).

My hubby, Yoshito, is an Electrical Engineer.
Eternal Squall
Kamisama - God

Post by Eternal Squall »

Great Topic!

Lets see.....what do I do? /hmm

I am a designer/project manager in an arcitectural firm. I am not an architect yet, but my "design" title covers buildings, parks, and storefronts to our firm's website, brouchures and buisness cards. Being in one of the fields hit hard by the recession, it is amazing how many number of hats I have to wear just for our firm to have stayed afloat. IT Guy, Secretary, Surveyor, Consultant......Whatever you guys do, don't go into Construction, it always the first sector hit and it is always the hardest!!!......hmmmm maybe I need to cash in on my good looks before they fade, and all I have left are my cels!!!! Can anyone out there help me in my next venture in life?.......Trophy Husband! /kis
crackpot27
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!
Location: My GPS is telling me to turn and there is no road...

Post by crackpot27 »

Currently I work in an accounting office, though I do a little substitute teaching on days off. I'm also finishing up the little bit of school I have left, once that's done I hope to be teaching art (though that may not happen in Indiana ;)
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Post by duotrouble »

I debated whether or not to answer this question since I don't like to talk about my job on the open www due to legal reasons. However, I can keep it vague. :wink:
Caroline wrote:anyone else besides me work in animation? :D
Yup, there are several of us. I'm one of them. I work very closely with anime. :^^: I just celebrated my 10th year.
Can you hear this fangirl squee?!
Strictly-Dragonball
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Strictly-Dragonball »

Everyone has such interesting careers! :) Really cool to see some of the things you guys do.
HJ Hodgson

Me and my twin sister

'Love me when I least deserve it, for that is when I most need it'-Proverb
Gonzai
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Gonzai »

I am a computer software designer, developer, and consultant.
I design Accounting software for small to medium size businesses.
I also install the software and do consulting as well, so I am on
the road anywhere from 2 to 3 weeks of each month. @_@
usamamo
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by usamamo »

I have a boring job, but I likey. I do accounts payable for a largeish business in South Australia, but we are about to go national, yay. Thank goodness that doesn't mean too much more work for me. Although thats what i am paid to do i also help out where i am needed, usually to take over wages.
" I'm Usagi Tsukino, 16 years old...in the first year of high school. I'm a bit rash and a crybaby...but, I'm actually an agent of love and justice....pretty Sailor Soldier, Sailor Moon"
MidniteKitten
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by MidniteKitten »

Lol I feel so silly even posting. I'm still young, 18, and off and on employed. Since I started collecting I've worked as a waitress at Pizza Hut, a cashier at Quizno's, a cocktail waitress at Bar 201, and then again another cocktail waitress at Le Rouge. For having been collecting for less than 2 years, that's alot of jobs! I think it has to do with in part that teenagers are the first to be let go when jobs cut back :/ How then do I afford this crazy hobby? Me and my boyfriend sometimes wonder the same thing o.o I think it comes down to me selling random collectibles I no longer care for as time goes on, to doing odd and end jobs like nannying or freelance modeling. In the end, things end up working out for now, but I'm always on the hunt for that next job :P

XD compared to everyone else who has such interesting jobs and careers I can't wait to finish school!
HotIce
Senpai - Elder

Post by HotIce »

Wow everyone sounds so much more interesting than me. LOL. I work in a factory that makes, plastic bottles. Weee. Some days I pack bottles, some days I drive a forklift/towmotor. I don't like my job, but the job market around here is terrible, and my job is secure, steady and pays the bills. So I am not complaining too much. :)
kathpatty
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by kathpatty »

Registered Nurse here, for many, many years....
Everyday is something new and sometimes the same. I can say one thing - people are getting sicker at a younger age. :hurt:
Cel collecting gives me some quiet time :) :D
A Man Who Views The World The Same At Fifty As He Did At Twenty Has Wasted Thirty Years Of His Life. - Muhammad Ali
animejewell
Juuyaku - Executive

Occupation

Post by animejewell »

I've been reading the responses and debating whether I too wanted to participate, but this is a very interesting topic.

I'm a registered nurse...for a long time also. I specialize in Asthma, Allergy and Immunology. I have my masters degree and hope to go back and get my doctorate so I can teach as there is a great demand for nursing educators.

I've been collecting animation cels for 10 years now (shitajiki for about 6 years) and love it as much as I did when I first started collecting although some of my tastes have changed since then.

And I've been watching anime for 13 years and each year more great series come out.....so little time and so much to watch!
Maiko
Kishin - Fierce God

Re: Occupation

Post by Maiko »

animejewell wrote:I've been reading the responses and debating whether I too wanted to participate, but this is a very interesting topic.

I'm a registered nurse...for a long time also. I specialize in Asthma, Allergy and Immunology. I have my masters degree and hope to go back and get my doctorate so I can teach as there is a great demand for nursing educators.

I've been collecting animation cels for 10 years now (shitajiki for about 6 years) and love it as much as I did when I first started collecting although some of my tastes have changed since then.

And I've been watching anime for 13 years and each year more great series come out.....so little time and so much to watch!
Actually, I appreciate your posting and I appreciate your field. I suffer from life-threatening allergies and anaphylaxis. People like you have revived me on a number of occasions.
Cordelia
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Cordelia »

I'm a curator in a museum. I love my job because there's always something new happening. I'm constantly learning and reading whenever I have to prepare for a new exhibition. Right now I'm working on an exhibition about soccer. I also help to seek sponsors and develop fringe programmes. I'm very fortunate that I get to meet many people.

I have great respect for people in customer service. I used to do something similar and it's so hard not to shout at some of the nasty people. :P

I'm glad to read that most people enjoy what they do. Considering the amount of time we are at work, that's really important.