Question to all the married/previously married ladies here

Talk about anything you'd like! Play games, tell jokes, and share your life.
Belldandy16
Yosutebito - Hermit

Question to all the married/previously married ladies here

Post by Belldandy16 »

I LOVE that show "Say Yes to the Dress" on TLC. i love watching all the workings behind buying a wedding dress, etc.

Some of those dresses are like, WOW 8O thats beautiful... and then sometimes they say the prices and im like… 8O 8O 8O WOW! thats insane. X-p LOL

but im curious, when they buy the dress, have the beautiful wedding day, etc..dumb question... what do you do with it afterwards?
do you just put it in a closet forever or, what?
crackpot27
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!
Location: My GPS is telling me to turn and there is no road...

Post by crackpot27 »

Everyone I know seems to sell it :^^: Beautiful memories are good in picture form I suppose... :P
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

My family has always kept theirs. All the women in my family have hoped that their daughters would re-use the dress when they got married.

That's fine and dandy if you're only 4'10" like my greatgrandmother was. But if you're taller(and wider), it's not going to work.

Some women in my family chose to be buried in their wedding dress. I can't imagine being the same weight decades(and kids) later.

I've kept my dress and had it preserved. I have no idea as to what I'll do with it. Probably have my kids parade around in it, laughing at the atrocious fashion sense we had in the naughties.

But, Bell...since you're asking, does that mean you're getting hitched soon :)
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

My grandmother's was destroyed since her six children used it as a dress-up item. My mother's was hand-made by her aunt and is currently in a box in the attic. I think she had hoped that I would wear it, but I'm not 5'3" and most assuredly not 95 lbs. :l

If you check eBay, it seems most people who buy higher-end wedding dresses sell them in hopes of recouping some of their money. If you ever wanted a designer gown, you can usually nab one off eBay for only a few hundred dollars. A friend of mine did this. She found one she liked that was too large (but cheap!) and took it to a tailor to be altered. She then resold it on eBay for MORE than she paid. *shrugs*
Golden Boy
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Golden Boy »

my wife had hers boxed in a container made for preserving wedding dresses.

gb :wink:
otakusin
Juuyaku - Executive

Post by otakusin »

Golden Boy wrote:my wife had hers boxed in a container made for preserving wedding dresses.

gb :wink:
Ditto here GB, it's in my attic which is probably not good due to the extremes in temps but the box is huge, it takes up space I need for storing cels, lol!!
We're gonna turn this team around 360 degrees!! -- Jason Kidd
Belldandy16
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by Belldandy16 »

cutiebunny wrote: But, Bell...since you're asking, does that mean you're getting hitched soon :)
:emb LOL i knew someone would ask that! :emb
aw no, :) no wedding bells for Ms Bell anytime soon, unfortunately. Thanks for asking tho. :D

But if i did, i was thinking i might want, instead of putting it in a box and hiding it away… maybe making it into a few things… pillows, wedding picture album cover, etc. But idunno, after paying possibly THOUSANDS of dollars 8O and how many hours looking for it, i dont know if id have the courage to do that. :emb
Xelloss
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Xelloss »

My mother kept hers and it fit me when I tried it on a few years ago. If I ever get married, I'll probably either wear that or one of my white prom dresses, all of which still fit. It just makes more sense than buying yet another white dress I'll probably never wear otherwise.

Then again, I've never been overly conscious about what I wear at any occasion ^^;

- Karen
Sky Rat
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Sky Rat »

Belldandy16 wrote: But if i did, i was thinking i might want, instead of putting it in a box and hiding it away… maybe making it into a few things… pillows, wedding picture album cover, etc. But idunno, after paying possibly THOUSANDS of dollars 8O and how many hours looking for it, i dont know if id have the courage to do that. :emb
LOL. My mom got married in a sundress she bought from a regular store. Definitely no thousand dollar dresses in my family...I don't even know if she kept it or not.

I like the idea of making it into things. You'd be more likely to appreciate it on a daily basis. I kept my prom dress and the only time it saw the light of day again was when I needed a formal outfit for a dance at an anime con. So...yeah, good for dress up but not much else.
Drac of the Sharp Smiles
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Drac of the Sharp Smiles »

My family keeps the dresses too. My grandmother's dress was reused... I think it was 3-4 times. I know my sister was one of the people who wore it, though when she did, we had to make major adjustments to the sleeves to make it fit. (The lower part of the sleeve had to be removed, since she couldn't get her arm into it, and that piece was saved with the dress now too.)

I was much too heavy to wear that dress (my sister is a rail), so my own dress was bought new. That's an amusing story in itself since, after my father promised me any dress I wanted, the one I finally adored was the one at the back of a sale rack somewhere and was barely $500, including the alterations to fit. LOL But my dress, I simply had cleaned and I keep it in a special part of the closet. I rewore it once to be a bride on Halloween.

My mom wanted to have my dress stored in one of those archival box things, but after looking into those -- at least as of the time I was married -- I wouldn't recommend bothering with them. Not only can you not see the dress yourself (rendering it a moot point to keep it, IMO), but people say that you need a professional cleaner to *reopen* the box due to the chemicals, and frequently the dresses come back out with weird stains and discolorations anyhow, again due to the "preservative" chemicals.
Shampoo
Kiba-phile

Post by Shampoo »

Still trying to sell mine
>_<;;;
(pass the link if you know anyone who needs a dress LOL!!)

http://shampoo.weebly.com/index.html

Have had no luck selling because I have NO idea where the hell to
post the link! I mean, what wedding forum do I start?
Theres like a bajillion online! O_O
I had 2 nibbles but unfortunately both women were
too large to fit into the gown. :P :P :P

Blah!
At this point I think I'll just donate it to SalArmy for a $100
deductible. :roll:

If there was such a thing as renting a dress I would have
happily done so.
otakusin
Juuyaku - Executive

Post by otakusin »

Shampoo wrote:If there was such a thing as renting a dress I would have
happily done so.
You can actually rent dresses, found this little tidbit out way too late. Ranges from low to high end, costs around 75% less than buying.
We're gonna turn this team around 360 degrees!! -- Jason Kidd
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

I'm not actually sure what my mom got married in... if she wore a wedding dress, she might still have it somewhere (I'm just so attentive to these details, really :rollin ). I didn't wear a wedding dress for my wedding, so I never had to deal with the problem of what to do with the dress afterwards. I did have a bridesmaid's dress from someone else's wedding, which I finally sold after several years of it collecting dust, though! :^^:
Ryouko
Kamisama - God

Post by Ryouko »

My mom gave me her wedding dress when my parents moved across the country last year, leaving us kids behind. :) It's a beautiful and simple off white dress, very hippy style. ^_^; Unfortunately it's too small for me (I have broad shoulders, everything else on the dress fits fine >_<), but I keep it because of its memories. :)
Webmistress and owner of Picture Perfect:
http://www.rockman-exe.com/picture.html
http://ryouko.rubberslug.com/gallery/home.asp
Always looking for high-quality Tamahome, Tasuki or Boshi-twin cels!
Belldandy
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by Belldandy »

I have mine stuffed into a closet. I'm kind of a hoarder, so of course I still have it! The ladies at the who sold it to me thought they though it was a good choice because it was simple enough to be re-used as a black & white ball dress. *snork* 'cause I go to elegant balls alllll the time :crackup