Ball Joint Dolls...

Talk about anything you'd like! Play games, tell jokes, and share your life.
jenn-b
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by jenn-b »

Oops! Zero is an HZdoll - Hui Ka

Once a Bleach Whore...always a Bleach Whore

"Looks like you're on the ass end of an ass-kickin'" the All-Powerful Bender
Zag
Senpai - Elder

Post by Zag »

*revives dead thread with super zombie control powers*

RIGHT! I'm finally at a point where I can get a doll. I need some advice and things about painting, etc. I was hoping to join the DOA, but they need an invite. Anyone have an extra?

I'm going to have to paint my doll, because the skintone I want is odd. Acrylic paints can crack I've heard, any info?
Queen_Serenity
Kakashi Stalker

Post by Queen_Serenity »

I have probably way too many of these. ^_^; I just can't seem to get enough of them though! Every time I say I'm finished collecting, one of my favorite companies releases another awesome limited edition doll. X| Anyway, I currently have a little over thirty. Here is a link to my DOA profile...

http://www.denofangels.com/forums/membe ... nity-Shall

If anyone needs any help getting into this hobby, I would be more than happy to answer any questions. I have been collecting for a few years now. :)
Yume Hime
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by Yume Hime »

What a family, Queen_Serenity :wink: ! Could you post a groupshot :) ?

Sorry for the late answer Zag, but if you want a DOA invitation, don't hesitate to PM me, I can send you one :) . And if you have questions, maybe I can help too ^^ !
To totally change the skin tone of your doll, I heard it's better to dye her rather than painting her... But I know some companies sell dolls with original colors! Do you already have an idea of the model you want ^_^ ?

I got this wonderful chair for my doll as a Christmas gift, I'll post pictures later :^^: .
Queen_Serenity
Kakashi Stalker

Post by Queen_Serenity »

Yume Hime wrote:What a family, Queen_Serenity :wink: ! Could you post a groupshot :) ?
If I can get them all in frame I will. :P I promised another Beta member individual pics of them, so if all else fails I will just post the link here to my PhotoBucket of all of them. I should hopefully get around to taking all of their pictures soon. I probably won't take pictures of the few I have for sale though since they are in their boxes and I am too lazy to take them back out. :^^:
Zag
Senpai - Elder

Post by Zag »

Yume Hime wrote: And if you have questions, maybe I can help too ^^ !
To totally change the skin tone of your doll, I heard it's better to dye her rather than painting her... But I know some companies sell dolls with original colors! Do you already have an idea of the model you want ^_^ ?
It's a rather specific color, so I'll try the dye. RIT dye is what I heard works best. Should I take her apart and dye the pieces individually, or just stick her in?

I've joined DOA, although my BJD is only a 1/6 doll. But they had some great links to some 1/6 dedicated boards.

Yume Hime
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by Yume Hime »

She's an Obitsu, right ^^ ? What's her name :^^: ?
I've heard of RIT dye on resin, but I can't assure you that it'll work on plastic...
Zag
Senpai - Elder

Post by Zag »

Yume Hime wrote:She's an Obitsu, right ^^ ? What's her name :^^: ?
I've heard of RIT dye on resin, but I can't assure you that it'll work on plastic...
Yah. I don't think this model had a "name" like some do.
I'm just calling her Kai, because she's going to be a model of an original character.
Had to really look to find a head with elf ears because I didn't think I could mod one yet.
She has magnet feet! :)
The hair I bought said it was for 1/6 dolls, but it's way too big. :P
Yume Hime
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by Yume Hime »

Yeah it's somewhat hard to find good wigs for little dolls! I wonder if you can find a pre rooted head with elf ears for her...
Do you know this shop :) ? They have plenty of useful things for 1/6 dolls!
http://stores.ebay.fr/Mimi-Collection/1 ... 34.c0.m322
And there are some pretty clothes here:
http://www.clear-lan.com/index.htm

Can't wait to see Kai complete ^_^ !
Zag
Senpai - Elder

Post by Zag »

Mimiwoo is my main provider. :) I got the head, body and dress from her. I have special eyes on order (already paid for, just waiting for the supplier to get them from the shop.) If I can't find a good wig for her, I may do a custom threaded head, I'm just so afraid of screwing up, because this is an expensive hobby! ;O
Zag
Senpai - Elder

Post by Zag »

Well her boots came. Still no luck with hair, and waiting on her eyes.

And here's her silver hair. T_T I wanted to cry when I found out how out sized it was.

aernath
Perv-chan
Location: Half way across the country from where I was last time!

Post by aernath »

I had a friend that recently dyed her Dollfie Dream, and the dye wouldn't take on the joints. Sooooo... I dunno about the Obitsus.
For wig sizes, just measure around the dolls head, about where the headcap is, and that's it - 4inches means a size 4 wig.

Congrats on getting sucked in! :wink:
Gotta love mimiwoo! And releaserain. :)

And damn! I bet that took a while to get her laced up into those boots! You have much patience, Grasshopper!

Ooooo! A Heize boy! :D Those tan ones tempt me, but others that don't cost as much are always vying to be bought first!

Oh! And... Hi! *waves*
Yume Hime
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by Yume Hime »

Her clothes and boots are pretty cool, she'll be very pretty with silver hair :^^: ! Don't worry, you'll end up finding the perfect wig for her :) .
By the way, the photo with the wig is quite funny, she looks disappointed, poor Kai é_è/ !
Zag
Senpai - Elder

Post by Zag »

Well, here's the dye job. At least part of it.
The dye just slid off the plastic of the obitsu body.
The dolfie head was.. well.. kinda successful.
I tested it only on the removable top of her head.
Hard to tell in the photo, but it's kinda grape Kool-aid colored.

Kai wasn't impressed.
Yume Hime
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by Yume Hime »

Yes, it works well on porous resin but not on plastics apparently :( ...
So have you made other tests?