Has anybody ever shipped a cel to the United Arab Emirates?

Talk about anything you'd like! Play games, tell jokes, and share your life.
LunaArt
Kishin - Fierce God

Has anybody ever shipped a cel to the United Arab Emirates?

Post by LunaArt »

I just received an order from someone living in the United Arab Emirates (UAE). I have never shipped anything to that country before. The instructions on the USPS site are a little confusing. It has this listed under the "observations" section for UAE:

"Shipments that exceed 500 dirhams in value and are commercial shipments must be accompanied by (a) the original invoices authenticated by the Consulates of the UAE; (b) authenticated certificate of origin; (c) list of the contents of the package; and (d) the certificate of exemption from duty, if applicable."

My shipment is going to be around 800 dirhams ($215US) if I calculated it correctly so I'm freaking out a little bit about the "original invoices authenticated by the Consulates of the UAE" and the "authenticated certificate of origin". I plan on including a simple invoice with the list of contents and prices along with the usual postal customs forms, but I'm not sure if I need to do anything else. Do you think that is all I need to do? I probably will ship it with Priority Mail International and insurance.

Anybody have any thoughts on this or recommendations?
Please help! :O
~Luna-Art >^.^<

Rubberslug version: http://lunaart.rubberslug.com
oxypetalus
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by oxypetalus »

I have never shipped there but perhaps you should call USPS or ask in person what they mean by "(a) the original invoices authenticated by the Consulates of the UAE; (b) authenticated certificate of origin; (c) list of the contents of the package; and (d) the certificate of exemption from duty, if applicable. "

Hmm, I think one option would be to split the shipment into 2 packages so that each package is under 500 dirhams in value. It might qualify for the first option if you list it as a gift to the recipient.

"Shipments, whose value does not exceed 500 dirhams and parcels that are not commercial and contain personal effects are generally exempt from all customs measures. "

Actually if it is a listed as a gift you may not need to split the package. I'd double check with a postal employee though.
LunaArt
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by LunaArt »

Thanks for the advice! I'm still working on it with the buyer to try to figure this thing out and will try to ask the postal employees about it.
~Luna-Art >^.^<

ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

I've shipped to the UAE before, but never something that expensive. If possible, could you break down the order into two smaller packages? That way you can just use the simple shipping forms and not have to get things authenticated. :)

I can try and ask my old research partner, who is currently working on an archaeological dig there. She may have some more concrete ideas on the subject.
LunaArt
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by LunaArt »

ReiTheJelly wrote:I can try and ask my old research partner, who is currently working on an archaeological dig there. She may have some more concrete ideas on the subject.
The only reason I'm hesitating about splitting it into two different shipments (other than I don't think the buyer will go for it since it will be about $70 to ship that way) is if this person orders a cel in the future that is $135 or more, I'm back in the same situation of wondering what to do.

I'm honestly tempted to just ship it as I normally do international packages and see if it goes through okay. I suspect it isn't rare for their customs to receive packages like mine from other hobbyists or small time eBay sellers. I know, famous last words. lol

If you can ask your friend if she has any thoughts on the subject, I would appreciate it. I haven't been paid yet, so it's not like I have to get the package shipped out right away.
~Luna-Art >^.^<

teggacat
Senpai - Elder

Post by teggacat »

I've sent a rather pricey cel to UAE before, I sent
it the same way I send all my international parcels,
didn't do anything special, and everything worked out fine,
however I did declare it as "gift" but put the actual
value on the customs form.
LunaArt
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by LunaArt »

uchiha615 - I think that is exactly what I am going to do also. I don't normally mark anything as a gift, but I think it is best in this case to avoid any problems. Thanks for posting that! It makes me feel much better.

ReiTheJelly - Thanks so much for the offer of contacting your old partner, but I think I am going to go ahead and do what uchiha615 did, so it is no longer necessary.

Thanks everyone again! You've been a big help! :)
~Luna-Art >^.^<

Goldknight
RULER

Post by Goldknight »

I've shipped there too and like uchiha615 I listed it as gift and also listed the value as $20 eventhough it was far more. :shrug
"Life can only be lived looking forward. It is understood when looking backwards" - Hadji From Real Adventures of Jonny Quest
Gold Knight's Cel Gallery - Rubberslug