Anyone else watching Walking Dead?

Talk about anything you'd like! Play games, tell jokes, and share your life.
Nene
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Nene »

Hehe life would be boring without some tough guys around, right? :P Actually you don't see many these days... :(

Rick's kinda tough but in a different sense. I think I like Daryl a little too much though. He was first to grab the Southern Comfort in the CDC so maybe that swung my vote haha!
Captain Haddock
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Captain Haddock »

Ha ha indeed it would Nene indeed it would. Sadly your right with your latter observation on that point as well. In the old days we're talking Richard Coeur de Lion, Edward the IV, Henry V and more besides England was run by proper hard cases. We should definately bring that back, the PM should be voted in on his jousting, melee and all things hard skills. Not soft stuff like economics, why waste brainspace on numbers unless your keeping a tally of the dead in your wake?

Anyway I digress. As interesting as Daryl may be as a specimen if he were really the kind of guy you went for in your love life, well it would certainly make things interesting in a turbulent way. :P
Nene

Post by Nene »

Funny actually, was having a similar conversation the other day about social stuff like that. Completely off-topic now but it seems as though society (especially here in the UK anyhow) has gone through a huge shift in the roles of both men and women over the years. Alot of men now kind of take a back seat and seem quite passive. And there are alot of women who are "ladettes", trying to do things that are typically associated with male behaviour. I'm still quite traditional in that sense, I'd rather men treat women respectfully as women (exceptions in sexuality of course) and women not try so hard to kind of blend in with men. Otherwise we're all just making one crazy gender and everyone is confused. I sometimes feel like I should be back in the same era as Marilyn Monroe lol. Probably makes no sense, I've been on the Southern Comfort tonight so I'm feeling philosophical (hey, managed to keep it very slightly on topic afterall).

I hated the way society was seeming to break down like that back where I grew up (Surrey area but not the nice side, more the outer-London side). Way too much violence and horrible people there too. Where I live now is ten times better, I just hope the society break-down doesn't spread this far. I guess this is the REAL zombie outbreak lol.

I could imagine an outbreak in California though and everyone pointing the finger at Arnie to save the world. XD Maybe they have the right idea when choosing a leader lol.

I got my Walking Dead Comic Compendium for xmas, not started it yet as I'm in the middle of 2 different books right now but once I knock one of those off my list, I'm in there.
Captain Haddock
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Captain Haddock »

Just PM'd you a reply!
RalphVboy

Post by RalphVboy »

Nene wrote:I got my Walking Dead Comic Compendium for xmas, not started it yet as I'm in the middle of 2 different books right now but once I knock one of those off my list, I'm in there.
Just finished reading the Compendium a few weeks ago and waiting on the Omnibus volume 3 to get here. Incredibly good read, especially if you're a general zombie fan. I haven't caught any of the TV series yet but from what I gathered in this thread there are some key differences that you'll discover as you read. Though the underlying themes in both seem to be in line with each other. Enjoy it and let us know your thoughts about it when you're finished ^_^
Ikkichi

Post by Ikkichi »

Walking Dead is an awesome Series.

The comics are even better I believe they have signed up for season 3 already :)
Sylia
Juuyaku - Executive

Post by Sylia »

The comics are even better I believe they have signed up for season 3 already
Wow it must have been pretty popular to get a third season so quick o.o
Alot of men now kind of take a back seat and seem quite passive. And there are alot of women who are "ladettes", trying to do things that are typically associated with male behaviour. I'm still quite traditional in that sense, I'd rather men treat women respectfully as women (exceptions in sexuality of course) and women not try so hard to kind of blend in with men. Otherwise we're all just making one crazy gender and everyone is confused.
I like confusion and blurring of genders :P. I like having things both ways ^^. I don't like the obnoxious beer-swilling, loud, aggressive, crass laddettes that you sometimes find in pubs and bars (or in certain folk metal concerts x.x). But I do like my female athletes for example as buff and as physically strong as possible- practically able to compete with the men even in certain cases- and I'm apparently in the minority on this, given the unkind and downright rude reactions to most of the female athletes that have that kind of powerful physical appearance. I don't think every woman needs to be conventionally "pretty" or "feminine" for example. I actually find it really repressive that people still complain if a woman doesn't "look like a woman" (or rather what they think one should look like). Conversely we also have to accept that some men are more effeminate or feminine inclined; it's just who they are and I'm sure there are people who love them for it too.
Alot of men now kind of take a back seat and seem quite passive.
I think overall that maybe that's an individual trait as much as anything else. We're all still evolving as a species socially. Some men do sometimes seem "weaker" about some things nowadays. On the other hand if men were always agressive it does get old really fast- like people in the past being more chauvanistic and everything they say in the family goes just 'cause they're the man, and people accepted it back then. Too much power over everyone else can go to one segment of society's heads. I also think it's great if a woman feels bold enough to ask the man out first. Shouldn't always have to, but it's good that we can. Besides which, if it's two men or two women we're talking about, someone's gotta make the first move, right? I'm all for it being 50/50 tbh. Other than that... actually, I kinda enjoy being chivalrous towards males sometimes :D .

...All of this is moot, however... for when it comes to ZOMBIE men and women, no gender is a good gender XD. I think I'd always rather be the one to make the first move... that is, RUN THE HELL AWAY!!! Or aim for the head lol... -_-;
Nene

Post by Nene »

Well we do have completely different gender views Syl, so that was expected. :) We've already had a similar in-depth conversation so I don't want to bang on about it too much as I didn't plan for an off-topic debate here (mine was just more of a passing observation of events as I have witnessed them in my life) but recently on Question Time, a woman said that most women couldn't handle true equality if they had it. I have to say I agreed with alot of what she said. But there are those women who I know are perfectly happy being truly equal (I'd class you as one of those, Syl). Myself on the other hand, I'm sticking to my "I'd rather be treated like a woman than an equal" statement. :)

One theory for my love of zombies though is that they don't care what the hell you look like, you're still extremely tasty either way. Yay!

I've started the comic, I have to say it's very fun. Can't wait for seasons 2 and 3 now. :D

Another semi-unrelated point is that I'd love to get into horror/special effects make up... would seem really fun to create a zombie for real hehe.
Sylia
Juuyaku - Executive

Post by Sylia »

We've already had a similar in-depth conversation so I don't want to bang on about it too much as I didn't plan for an off-topic debate here
D'oh... Honestly my memory is really awful lately so I wasn't entirely remembering what I've said and what I haven't ^^;. Sorry if that got a bit redundant.
recently on Question Time, a woman said that most women couldn't handle true equality if they had it. I have to say I agreed with alot of what she said. But there are those women who I know are perfectly happy being truly equal
It is off-topic you're right, and I don't mean to make it more so by ranting my head off further on the subject like I could... but ultimately I'm quite sad that I still don't actually feel like we're truly equal. I used to think we were when I was younger, but then I saw all of the hatred, lack of compassion and understanding that is still out there and has been trivialised or mainstreamed, and I think we are still a very far way off of being what I would call "truly equal". Not in sport, not in the arts, not in religion, not in just everyday walking down the street and doing one's grocery shopping without dealing with harassment and near sexual threats from random strangers, and it being considered the 'norm' so nobody is all that supportive about it anymore. Or maybe, like you pointed out, that's just our particular sh***y part of the world that we were once from. Doesn't happen to me in the US hardly ever by comparison o.o.

Anyway maybe I'd feel differently about it if I'd grown up male with protectors of some kind, but in my experience from the general public most men don't come to a woman's rescue regarding most things. Women, also. Most human beings in general care, but from a distance only and aren't willing to step in and speak up when they see another human being oppressed or degraded in some way. The old notion that one can be feminine and that gentlemen are there to protect us was such a sham. It's not because we seem less dependently feminine, helpless, or vulnerable that people don't behave in a gallant way nowadays, it's just because they don't feel like it and it's not their problem and we're all indifferent to each other's suffering anyway. We do live in zombie society after all it seems.

(Oh and as a side note, while I like to fight my fights, for me nothing is hotter than a man acknowledging that I can but stepping in to lend their support and back us up anyway. In my opinion the best men are the ones that acknowledge that a woman can be his equal even physically, but don't let it scare them off from being a good ally to her. That's one thing I hate lol... Just because you can deal with something, doesn't mean that you don't also need him. I'm capable of firmly putting someone in their place if I really didn't want them to interfere or take charge for me, and if they acted too insistent and bull-headed about it, but that doesn't mean that I want them to just completely leave me to it and tiptoe around me for the rest of my life. There's a fine difference between being obnoxiously macho and being an impressive, good male figure who makes it known he can be relied on and takes the iniative to give support, especially when it would just be nice and decent of him to do so. Same with sexuality. Likewise, I try to do that for men too since that's how I would like to be treated myself.

Anyway I do want an equal world in all things, but boys, hopefully one day you can all deal okay with women being on an equal footing and not be totally cowed by it in interpersonal matters, and girls you also have to look after and protect the more "feminine" side in some of our men that is becoming awakened and accepted over time, because being insensitive hurts no matter which gender it's directed at. And I still maintain that no matter what part of the spectrum of girliness and manliness you're on, there will be people out there who love you for it regardless of your actual gender.

That is one of the very best things about this world- that there's always someone out there for whom your existence brings joy and relief to because of who you are and how you live your life... even if you can't see them. So I hope all the people out there who've been told that they're ugly or unnatural for their non-conforming masculinity or femininity in looks, personality or abilities out there remember that, and know that there are people out there who love them for it and are proud that they exist. More than equality, I want true freedom to be exactly who we are as decent people first, and genders last.

Maybe it's naieve but we can at least keep trying to leave a more tolerant and humanist future behind until the day we day. Really, all these things are just teething troubles as new changes and possibilities occur I think.

Oh no... so that was a rant almost I guess. ... Okay, I solemnly promise that that's the last online rant at least in this forum that I ever go into... sorry. Gender is such a hot button subject for me I guess ^^;
One theory for my love of zombies though is that they don't care what the hell you look like, you're still extremely tasty either way. Yay!
Hahaha that's twisted in so many ways :^^: ! But you're right, zombies are the ultimate equal opportunities devourers 8O . Comes back to "run like hell" lol.
I've started the comic, I have to say it's very fun. Can't wait for seasons 2 and 3 now.
Ooh neat. Maybe I should check it out sometime. Apparently the art from #7 onwards is by Charles Adlard, whose work on The X-Files comics I use to read and love very much as a kid.
Another semi-unrelated point is that I'd love to get into horror/special effects make up... would seem really fun to create a zombie for real hehe.
Sounds like a plan.. there must be creature make-up effect schools for something like that where you can go learn? Maybe intern on Casualty lol just to get the experience applying gore. What a fun career that would be, though ^^!
Nene

Post by Nene »

everyday walking down the street and doing one's grocery shopping without dealing with harassment and near sexual threats from random strangers, and it being considered the 'norm' so nobody is all that supportive about it anymore.
Flogging a dead horse now but that's my point too and I guess, the general point I was trying to make initially.

I hate the way that alot of guys feel that we're all so equal as to be nasty and verbally abusive towards women that they don't deem attractive to their standards. I like the boundaries where men have the decorum to not pick on women. Now it seems that they think that everyone is fair game for equal criticism and general vile behaviour. Seriously, these guys need to just be nasty to eachother if that's what makes them happy. Don't give women equal abuse as they do other men just because we're supposed to live in a modern society where everyone is treated the same. I don't think guys should get beat up in the street either but at the same time I don't think that mindset to give women an equal beating in the street should be there just because we can treat everyone the same.

You're right though, I hardly ever see it in America. I only ever get positive attention there which is refreshing. :D

And back onto drama series, I'm really excited about Game of Thrones in April. n.n