Japan Post halts all air mail to USA from citizens

Talk about anything you'd like! Play games, tell jokes, and share your life.
bran-chan
Eiyuu - Hero

Japan Post halts all air mail to USA from citizens

Post by bran-chan »

Japan post has stopped all air mail (this includes EMS, Airmail, SAL) for individuals/private citizens for anything weighing over 435 grams. This does not affect businesses who have commercial contracts with Japan Post to ship international.

This is an indefinate move that starts today. UPS, DHL and Fed-Ex are not affected by this.
Captain Haddock
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Captain Haddock »

Did they say why, seems like a strange move to make unless they were losing money on it?

I guess though for most of us it will be ok the average cel package isn't going to weigh that much. Though if anyone's got anything like figures they want to buy it could be kind of a downer.
Nene
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Nene »

I heard about this yesterday from Celga's Facebook. Most deputies presumably come under the contract bracket because they said they're not affected by it.

http://www.japanprobe.com/2010/11/16/ja ... ed-states/

Shipping from places like Hong Kong is quite cheap, makes you wonder if a new service will be set up to get heavy Japan packages bound for the US sent via Hong Kong.
jenn-b
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by jenn-b »

Ummmm 435 grams is less than a pound. I don't think very many cel parcels will leave the country via post.

Once a Bleach Whore...always a Bleach Whore

"Looks like you're on the ass end of an ass-kickin'" the All-Powerful Bender
Nene

Post by Nene »

I guess it's lucky that at least other mail providers are willing to ship to the US but I wonder how much more expensive Fed-Ex, DHL and UPS are for something fairly light-weight like cels. I've never used any of those from Japan before.

If anyone has any problems though and finds it cheaper/less bothersome to get things sent to the UK first, let me know.
bran-chan
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by bran-chan »

It's to keep terrorism down.

I know it's going to affect me. I have my friend in Japan checking out Fed-ex but I have a feeling he's going to be holding onto stuff for me until this ban lifts.
Sky Rat
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Sky Rat »

Do you think this will affect packages en route when the ban was announced? I had something shipped by EMS this weekend….
bran-chan
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by bran-chan »

Nope, this starts with packages being shipped today.

I wonder if I can get my cels shipped one by one if the ban isn't lifted by January, lol.
Animechaos
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Animechaos »

Licenced business with accounts at the Japan Post aren't effected. SMJ's service won't skip a beat, and I'm assuming most other deputy services won't have an issue either.

Folks effected will be private citizens or smaller deputies that don't have a licence and/or account with the Japan Post.

So for the most part it won't have any inpact on most folks.
bran-chan
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by bran-chan »

I wonder how much it costs for a private citizen to get an account. I may have my friend check in on that.
Joost

Post by Joost »

Is this worldwide or only japa/usa ?
bran-chan
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by bran-chan »

Right now only Japan/USA.
Drac of the Sharp Smiles
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Drac of the Sharp Smiles »

This is kind of ridiculous..... I'm really interested to know exactly what kind of "terrorism" this is intended to prevent. Seems it's MUCH more a hassle to the average person than to anyone who would be attempting to use the mail for devious purposes.

It's funny.... I was just commenting earlier today on these kinds of fake "protection" which do nothing other than annoy average people and do little to hinder the bad guys. Like all the songs and dances we go through to get on an airplane, only to have UNINSPECTED BAGS loaded onto every plane by various shipping services.... (*rolls eyes*)
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

Actually, I was wondering if this wasn't done in retaliation for something. Generally, that's how a long of these stupid policies come into play. An important person's item got damaged, they were unable to receive a refund because they didn't buy insurance, they complained to their friend who happened to be a super important person in the Japan Post and voila...insta sanctions!

Maybe it's just me, but I always scratch my head when these ridiculous policies are put into place while others, which seem more obvious and more beneficial, are ignored. If you're worried about Yemenese nationals shipping bombs around the world, why not stop accepting shipments from Yemen...?

Seriously -_-'
Sui Kune
Kamisama - God

Post by Sui Kune »

I agree that it's rather nonsensical in terms of Japan not being the source country of the source of the threats. I hope it's a very temporary measure, not because of my own purchases, but because of a close friend who makes her entire living off of exporting merchandise. (And I do my best to do most of my purchasing from her whenever possible.) The timing is just really awful, and I'm really concerned about the small businesses like her who depend on international mail, with most of her customers being in the US. I really really hope there's a solution very quickly. :hurt: