Studio Ghibli Museum

Talk about anything you'd like! Play games, tell jokes, and share your life.
Ikkichi

Studio Ghibli Museum

Post by Ikkichi »

Hey Guys,

Well a friend of mine is in Japan ATM for a month and wants to know what I want from Studio Ghibli Museum.

So I went onto the website to check what they had but I cant even view what stuff they sell and how much they go for there.

Does any one know where I can view this.

I have contacted them directly but I don't think they understand English very well.

I'm also trying to find out about there Non- Framed Repro Cel's Cost.

Thanks
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

Your friend is aware that he/she will have to reserve their ticket prior to going there, right? You can book your tickets at any Lawson's in Japan, but it's recommended that you have a good knowledge of written Japanese prior to doing so. I think the ticket price is 1000 yen.

I never went to the Ghibli Museum, but, seeing how much some of the repro cels have sold for on YJ, I imagine that they are either pricey or only sold in very limited quantities.
Shampoo
Kiba-phile

Post by Shampoo »

They sell anything from small trinkets like
cellphone straps, pencil holders, mugs and hand towels
to giant plush and diorama-esque figurines and
cel repros.
Unfortunately, the cel repros are all framed.
I don't think there were any that were without
frames when I visited.
X|
Then again I couldn't browse very much either,
it is so PACKED with tourists shopping it was barely
enough room to move around the store.
HonestlY? I just went to a Ghibli store in Kamakura
and Animate's selection of Ghibli goods in Ikebukuro
and found almost the same merch for 15-20% less. :P
Its just a gimmick to get you to spend "there" at the museum.

The keychains and small pens were all like... 1800-5000 yen
O_o
Just to give you an idea of price.

They have a small selection from each of the Ghibli
anime movies they've done, it might be easier to ask
your friend to find you something from one of the animes
you enjoyed most and your price range.

GL!
:jump

EDIT: I almost forgot that there is a Ghibli store inside the
Sunshine City mall in Ikebukuro as well.
Last edited by Shampoo on Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
teggacat
Senpai - Elder

Post by teggacat »

Hiya RH!! Been awhile!! :wink:
let us know what treasure[s] you end up with!!
Ikkichi

Post by Ikkichi »

Well my friend has gone their on business so he has his own helper and translater.

So as far as I know she will book for it .

Thanks shampoo greatly appreciated Ill check and see what the story is Im mainly after Spirited Away stuff.

Hey teggacat, Yeah been awhile took a bit of break from Cel's to many animes I like not enough money lol.
I will do hopefully the darn exchange rate isn't high sigh !!!! :(
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Re: Studio Ghibli Museum

Post by ReiTheJelly »

I don't believe they have a section on their site because they want visitors to come to their museum. When I was at the Ghibli Museum in 2005, the prices for their reproduction cels varied greatly. They have hand-painted reproductions and art-print reproductions. Prices ranged from about 18000 yen to as high as 65000 yen (keep in mind, these prices are from almost 6 years ago). They had repro cels from a wide variety of movies...but not all. I remember seeing a lot of Kiki and Sen to Chihiro repro cels...and not much else.

Sadly, they also have some original artwork decorating their gift shop. It made me really sad, because they have some wonderful things on display which are not for sale.

If you want cels, the gift shop is the place to purchase them. Buying them from Yahoo!Japan or eBay usually results in a 2x or 3x price increase. But if you want other items (phone straps, plush animals, etc.) it is cheaper to buy them from other retail locations.

Like Cutiebunny said, your friend will need an advanced ticket. I bought mine before I went to Japan and had them shipped to me. However, I felt very silly later on, since there is a convenience store about a block away from the museum...and it sells tickets. X|
Ikkichi

Post by Ikkichi »

Hey ReiTheJelly

How you doing ?

Thanks for the reply.

Do you rem the name of the store you were able to get tickets from ?

Thanks
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

Ikkichi wrote:Do you rem the name of the store you were able to get tickets from ?
LAWSON'S. They're a huge convenience store chain located in Japan. In Tokyo, they're located practically every other block, especially around train stations.

(Sorry...I mentioned the name in my earlier post but perhaps it was too convoluted.)
Ikkichi

Post by Ikkichi »

Thanks cutiebunny

Na prob didnt see it properly its 2am here :P
rallihir
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by rallihir »

Also, keep in mind that the entrance tickets for domestic sale (in Japan) are timed tickets. That is - they allow entrance at a specific time window. I believe they are in two hour time blocks. The Walt Disney Family Museum here in San Francisco does the same procedure. When tickets for the Ghibli are purchased via JTB or other Japanese travel agencies for foreign use, there is no time restriction and the tickets are good all day for the date of request.
There is no such thing as too much cuteness
Ikkichi

Post by Ikkichi »

Hmmmmm ok Ill keep that in mind Ill let him know.

So over all would a Repro cel for $350 be worth buying in your guys opinions ?
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Post by duotrouble »

I went to the Ghibli Museum in 2004. I agree with Shampoo and Rei. If you want repros, buy them at the museum. If you want other small items, buy them somewhere else unless you gotta have that one little keepsake for being there. But since you're not actually going to be there and a friend is, buy your stuff somewhere else.

My favorite item from there was my admission ticket, which I still have tucked away. It's a piece of film strip from one of their movies. I love it. It also has the price of admission on it. My second favorite item/keepsake was a flag of Soot that was stuck in my sandwich at the cafe. Yes, I still have that tucked away as well. :wink:

I suggest, as already mentioned, buying your tickets online. One, they're usually cheaper. Two, you know you can go when you want to go. We had to pick a time for the bus to pick us up but we could stay there all day and take whatever bus back. Three, they are frequently sold out. You can go get tickets at Lawson's but you can't guarantee they'll have any to sell you for while you're there in Japan. A friend of mine went and the entire two weeks he was there they were sold out. It could have been a "I'm not selling to a foreigner thing" but buying ahead of time online you don't even have to worry about that. :^^:

Let us know what you got if anything. I hope your friend enjoys his or her self.
Can you hear this fangirl squee?!
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

duotrouble wrote:We had to pick a time for the bus to pick us up but we could stay there all day and take whatever bus back.
It is also a quick walk from the train station. And they have the most adorable Totoro markers, showing the way. :D
Ikkichi

Post by Ikkichi »

I suggest, as already mentioned, buying your tickets online. One, they're usually cheaper. Two, you know you can go when you want to go. We had to pick a time for the bus to pick us up but we could stay there all day and take whatever bus back. Three, they are frequently sold out. You can go get tickets at Lawson's but you can't guarantee they'll have any to sell you for while you're there in Japan. A friend of mine went and the entire two weeks he was there they were sold out. It could have been a "I'm not selling to a foreigner thing" but buying ahead of time online you don't even have to worry about that. :^^:
[/quote]

Where would the best place to purchase a ticket online ? So that I know he will actually have one :P
Ikkichi

Post by Ikkichi »

I must say I would really like to get one of these :

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-Cominica-Robot ... 483d35a842

Or

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cominica-Laputa-Rob ... 483d42ffad

Dunno if anyone know how much they were hahahaha :P