NYT: Urge to Collect Things Linked to Bubonic Plague!

Talk about anything you'd like! Play games, tell jokes, and share your life.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

NYT: Urge to Collect Things Linked to Bubonic Plague!

Post by sensei »

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/09/science/09guitar.html

Unintentionally funny quasi-scientific piece in this morning's NYT, mostly occasioned by the odd appearance of a carefully reconstructed replica of an authentic Eric Clapton guitar at an upcoming auction. It's expected to go for a gazillion dollars (the original went for nearly a million), and the usual suspects are speculating what this Tells Us About the Way We Think. Silliest moment:

[quote]“Beliefs about contagion, and especially biological contagion, by our ancestors are one of the reasons why we are here today,â€
Nene
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Nene »

That article has helped me to put into words why I collect what I do. :) I think alot of us assign beliefs and "magic" to items that we treasure for whatever reason (clearly ancestors did for various reasons).

For me, the cel usually sparks up a good memory and I associate that good feeling to the cel everytime I look at it. Owning that piece is like creating a piece of magick and subsequent purchases in the same field are similar to continuing to build on that positive magickal energy. Now it all makes sense. :D
sensei

Post by sensei »

(Heh ... I was just looking at one of your "Pet Peeve" comments for use in my essay, Nene. Interesting synchronicity moment.)

Yes, I have no problem with the "fetish" interpretation. (A fetish is an object that gives the owner social power because of its historical link to an event that invested it with charisma, e.g., a medal blessed by the Pope, a cel that went under the camera, a hunk of the Berlin Wall, or a brick that appears in one scene of The Blair Witch Project.) Whether or not the charisma is really supernatural, there's still a little shiver that runs all over when I look at something from an important scene and say to myself, "This is it!)

But I do think the idea that we feel this way because all the unmagical people got bubonic plague and died is downright silly. :rollin Doggone it, all those pieces of the True Cross must have really worked!

BTW, most scholars agree that most people were well aware that the relics worshipped in medieval churches were repro objects, the Shroud of Turin chief among them.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

I would think that, perhaps for 90% of the anime production artwork out there, most people do not collect it because it was originally touched by a specific artist. Yeah, there are those collectors who want everything Miyazaki because he *touched* it and perhaps there are some fans who are overly obsessed with other artists, but I'd say that the majority of collectors don't buy artwork and associate it with the production staff.

I guess I would say that the portion of the article pertaining to mass produced copies of authentic items would be more applicable to the collection of anime artwork simply because most fans realize that the chances of the anime/manga creator's direct involvement in that specific piece of artwork is small, at best. Fans like the characters and story line by the original studio or mangaka and want to own a piece of that story. But, I don't think it works quite as the article states, where collectors 'assign a religious value to the artwork. I don't own an Inuyasha cel and think that, because I do, my drawing skills will now be on par with key animators from the production studio.