Massive 8.9 earthquake & tsunami hit Japan

Talk about anything you'd like! Play games, tell jokes, and share your life.
iwakuralain16
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by iwakuralain16 »

kira wrote:so if there on the list that means there ok, right.

dont see maaya sakamoto on either the seiyuu or artist list.
I am worried that Takeshi Kaneshiro is not on there. Last I heard is he lives in Tokyo.
Sky Rat
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Sky Rat »

If they are on the left side of the list under 'confirmed' it means they are alright (they have updated their websites/twitter/their agents have spoken for them, etc). If they are on the right side under 'unconfirmed' it means no one knows yet... if someone is not on either list I think you can contact the people putting the lists together. They will add the name to the 'unconfirmed' side and try to find out more.
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Post by duotrouble »

That's an interesting site. Although, it does make me wonder. I read a thread today on another site asking everyone why they cared so much about Japan. (The site is holding a fundraiser. Buy a specific avatar item and the proceeds go to the Red Cross for Japan relief.) The OP was going off about people only caring because they love their anime.

However, if you read the thread itself, everyone was posting (several pages) that they cared because it's human life. Suddenly, I felt good that I wasn't nearly as jaded as the OP since I never even thought about people only caring about the anime. This thread proved it to me too although I have mixed feelings about the link Sky Rat posted. It's probably because I was worried about Midori and others that I'd actually met and talked to than someone I was just a fan of. But I'm really glad to see so far that no one on that list has hit the fatal column. I don't even know the current death toll.

Still hoping everyone in Japan can pick-up and move on.
Can you hear this fangirl squee?!
BeautifulAlone
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by BeautifulAlone »

During my meanders I read she was on her concert tour and doing fine. Maybe check her official site (which is like maaya.net or something?!).
"Like a lonely flower, I wilt a bit. Like a lonely star, I bathe in the evening light. Then with a blank face keep murmuring to someone,
'Ah, I'm not lonely...'"
Sky Rat
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Sky Rat »

duotrouble wrote:That's an interesting site. Although, it does make me wonder. I read a thread today on another site asking everyone why they cared so much about Japan. (The site is holding a fundraiser. Buy a specific avatar item and the proceeds go to the Red Cross for Japan relief.) The OP was going off about people only caring because they love their anime.

However, if you read the thread itself, everyone was posting (several pages) that they cared because it's human life. Suddenly, I felt good that I wasn't nearly as jaded as the OP since I never even thought about people only caring about the anime. This thread proved it to me too although I have mixed feelings about the link Sky Rat posted. It's probably because I was worried about Midori and others that I'd actually met and talked to than someone I was just a fan of. But I'm really glad to see so far that no one on that list has hit the fatal column. I don't even know the current death toll.

I just passed that along because people seemed to be wondering… I’ve personally made donations to most of the relief efforts for various disasters that have happened the last few years, I find any case of this sort of catastrophe really upsetting. Although I will admit feeling a bit guilty because I have felt a stronger emotional investment in this particular disaster. But that is because I have real life friends living there, and it’s a country I’ve been to, so what’s going on there feels a bit more real to me, rather than the connection to anime.
BeautifulAlone
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by BeautifulAlone »

duotrouble wrote:That's an interesting site. Although, it does make me wonder. I read a thread today on another site asking everyone why they cared so much about Japan. (The site is holding a fundraiser. Buy a specific avatar item and the proceeds go to the Red Cross for Japan relief.) The OP was going off about people only caring because they love their anime.

I think that comment about only caring because of anime is a bit scathing. Yes, I do think there are some who are a bit superficial about it, mostly the younger generation but that's because they aren't mature enough to comprehend the whole tragedy. But then for someone like me, a grown woman, who has been in love with the whole anime scene for years, and I especially appreciate the seiyuu and have followed the careers of many though the years (esp. the "old schoolers" who don't get as much work any longer...like Yuki Hiro...he teaches VA mostly now) I think it's a bit offensive.

Frankly, unless you are born into a specific culture, an outside person has to be exposed to it through some means...and globally the entertainment industry is the easiest way. Yes, sometimes it's a fleeting fad, but sometimes it's a lasting, life long event.

And really, all these fans wouldn't be putting so much time into tracking down sources to confirm these people are safe if they did not care. No matter how or why, they care. Which is the same for me. Even though I don't personally know these people, they have been a part of my life for so long that I would mourn their passing, whether from a tragedy or natural causes. These artists devoted their careers and lives to creating something that touches sooo~o many people world-wide, it would be deeply saddening to hear the loss of any of them.

So 'boo' to the person trying to trivialize anyones concerned feelings. :P

Also, I can appreciate those lists like Sky Rat posted, because I don't have time to go around the WWW myself to research. And I don't stalk anyone's online prescence like some of these fans. :^^: There's more Industry discussion/updating going on at ANN and LJ seiyuu communities, too, for those interested.

The official death toll reached the hundreds, but it's still to early to know. So many are still unaccounted for, and the search and rescue is still on. :l
"Like a lonely flower, I wilt a bit. Like a lonely star, I bathe in the evening light. Then with a blank face keep murmuring to someone,
'Ah, I'm not lonely...'"
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
Cordelia
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Cordelia »

It's natural to be concerned about a disaster of this scale. Especially one that is so well-documented on the internet. The devastation is particularly horrific because the Japanese cities are urban and dense. I assure you that many people who are keeping track of the news are not anime fans or fans of Japanese pop culture.

The news coverage has been sensitive in not showing too many dead bodies. They seem to prefer to give an overview of the catastrophe. When I saw the videos of floating vehicles, demolished buildings and washed away train, I was wondering how many people are in them. And the vehicles that were trying to speed away....how many made it. Saw a photo of parents looking at a flattened vehicle with the body of their daughter inside...just made me want to cry.

The way the Japanese survivors have behaved is admirable. Even when stocking up for supplies, they lined up orderly...no chaos and fights, just people helping one another. I hope there will be no more bad news and Japan can focus on recovering.
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Post by duotrouble »

Cordelia wrote:I assure you that many people who are keeping track of the news are not anime fans or fans of Japanese pop culture.
And that's exactly what myself and many others posting were saying. :^^:
BeautifulAlone wrote:So 'boo' to the person trying to trivialize anyones concerned feelings
Hear! Hear! :wave:

(Is that the right hear or is it here? /hmm )

Even though I know everyone knows I was just passing along some more interesting info about people's reactions, I thought I'd explain my mixed feelings comment. I've never been one to follow "famous" people. So lists like that just annoy me in general. I understand though that some people are curious about their favorite *insert whatever*. I've just only cared about people in general and then people I personally know and like I care for greatly.
Can you hear this fangirl squee?!
Gabe
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Gabe »

Belldandy16 wrote:...ill keep my prayers up for them and your two friends that they can contact you soon to say they are ok (Rekka~Alexiel too, kageneko).
Thanks! ^_^
Received an email from one of them today.
EternityOfPain wrote:... I didn't even feel the earthquake ...
LOL, my friend said the same.
He was down for early breakfast
Had a wake up call from a quake.
The whole Tower shaked and the Walls became noisy.
Was sleeping on the 15th floor.

Wind changend for north.
Reactor 2 explode after meltdown and the nuclear cloud goes north a part of it reached northern Tokyo. >.<
Just another tragic moment.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

It's (thankfully) not clear that the explosion was a meltdown; later reports suggest it was a hydrogen explosion like the previous two.

Still, it's impossible to tell how damaged the reactor's cores are, and this won't be possible until they are stabilized. I was in grad. school during 3 Mile Island, which nearly went critical due to incompetence, and that crisis dragged on for weeks until it was clear that the danger was over. I expect this will be true for Fukushima Daiichi as well.

Worst case scenarios, while ugly, are still less ominous than Chernobyl, which blew sky high while at full operation. Nevertheless, Japan continues to need our prayers.
Gabe
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Gabe »

sensei wrote:It's (thankfully) not clear that the explosion was a meltdown; later reports suggest it was a hydrogen explosion like the previous two.

Still, it's impossible to tell how damaged the reactor's cores are, and this won't be possible until they are stabilized. I was in grad. school during 3 Mile Island, which nearly went critical due to incompetence, and that crisis dragged on for weeks until it was clear that the danger was over. I expect this will be true for Fukushima Daiichi as well.

Worst case scenarios, while ugly, are still less ominous than Chernobyl, which blew sky high while at full operation. Nevertheless, Japan continues to need our prayers.
The info got changed to a crack and partial meltdown here.
8217 microsievert currently
Yep, still not the same as Chernobyl.

Ouch this one. >.<

Chernobyl was in test mode as the blow happens.

Yup, the need it really.
Goldknight
RULER

Post by Goldknight »

Do we know how our friends at all the dealer/auction sites are doing? I know Midori has checked in and is fine, but how about everyone Rinkya? Mandarake? etc? Do we know if they're all ok? I noticed ANN updating on various people and businesses in the anime community as they check in, but I'm curious about others. I'm still in shock over all this. 8O :? Was Curt from Asylum visiting at that time or is he ok? He frequently goes to Japan. :?
"Life can only be lived looking forward. It is understood when looking backwards" - Hadji From Real Adventures of Jonny Quest
Gold Knight's Cel Gallery - Rubberslug

Sky Rat
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Sky Rat »

Everyone at Rinkya is okay, I've been reading their posts on facebook. I don't know about the others, I've been wondering.
Gonzai
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Gonzai »

Nomi-san from Anime Cels World and Mutsuura-san
from Anime Cel Box are both ok. Still waiting to hear
from Tada-san.