Massive 8.9 earthquake & tsunami hit Japan

Talk about anything you'd like! Play games, tell jokes, and share your life.
BeautifulAlone
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by BeautifulAlone »

Everyone at Celga is ok, too.
"Like a lonely flower, I wilt a bit. Like a lonely star, I bathe in the evening light. Then with a blank face keep murmuring to someone,
'Ah, I'm not lonely...'"
Shampoo
Kiba-phile

Post by Shampoo »

Goldknight wrote:Do we know how our friends at all the dealer/auction sites are doing? I know Midori has checked in and is fine, but how about everyone Rinkya? Mandarake? etc? Do we know if they're all ok? I noticed ANN updating on various people and businesses in the anime community as they check in, but I'm curious about others. I'm still in shock over all this. 8O :? Was Curt from Asylum visiting at that time or is he ok? He frequently goes to Japan. :?
Mandarake folks are a-okay.
They have some messages posted up on their site.
Some of their items and display cases were damaged
but nothing major.
Curt is in town and wasn't overseas.
animeobsessed
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by animeobsessed »

Gonzai wrote:Nomi-san from Anime Cels World and Mutsuura-san
from Anime Cel Box are both ok. Still waiting to hear
from Tada-san.
I emailed Tada and he responded that his area was not affected.
(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
(")_(")domination.
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Post by duotrouble »

Yeah, I heard from Keigo at Celga. They're all fine. :)
Can you hear this fangirl squee?!
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

Anyone hear from Stephen (anime museum) and his family?
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
teggacat
Senpai - Elder

Post by teggacat »

JWR wrote:Anyone hear from Stephen (anime museum) and his family?
anyone hear?
Xelloss
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Xelloss »

Has anyone heard from Xeno (Ryo)?

- Karen
JWR

Post by JWR »

Xelloss wrote:Has anyone heard from Xeno (Ryo)?

- Karen
Yes he emailed Tori and is ok.

I'll repeat has anyone heard from Steven (anime museum)?
I emailed my last known link a few days ago but have not recieved any response. Now I'm sure with whats going on internet & time wise it might be hard to have emails get thru.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
Zag
Senpai - Elder

Post by Zag »

Anyone heard anything from Nishigata-san?
http://das330jp.rubberslug.com/gallery/home.asp

He lives in Chiba-ken, near where that oil refinery fire was....
Shampoo
Kiba-phile

Post by Shampoo »

JWR wrote: I'll repeat has anyone heard from Steven (anime museum)?
I emailed my last known link a few days ago but have not recieved any response. Now I'm sure with whats going on internet & time wise it might be hard to have emails get thru.
I thought he lived on Awaji island between Osaka
and Kagawa? If so, he should be a okay. Perhaps he is
delayed due to family matters or has family up North and is
preoccupied with finding out how they are?
But the southern part of Japan was not affected or even
felt the quake according to some friends in that area.
Internet is up and running too.
I'd give it a few more days for a reply back. Does anyone
else have a different e-mail address for him besides
the one he had for A-Taro and A-Museum?
Court
Kamisama - God

Post by Court »

This whole situation has large implications. As far as the cel community goes - Be very careful where you buy your cels from Japan now as they may be contaminated with radiation. Some elements released have a short half life, others much longer. They were just reporting how people from Japan flights were setting off the radiation detectors at the US airports. Their government has not been entirely forthcoming regarding the seriousness of the situation. UPS isn't delivering to Japan right now.

My prayers are with the Japanese people.
Animechaos
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Animechaos »

Nothing is going to be contaminated, people can't even ship out of the evacuated areas. If that was the case the Japan Post and all other countries around the world would ban all shippments out of Japan. Don't let the mass media "gloom and doom" coverage sway you from collecting. If something like that were to happen, we would be the first to know and the first to act.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

Maybe the radiation will kill some of the nasty Japanese mildew that has already been contaminating the sketch sets that I've been getting off YJ lately.

:joke

There's no question that the radiation situation is dire and out of control. But keep in mind that even after Chernobyl, a much worse nuclear disaster, the region was not permanently damaged. Yes, there was human damage, due to the Soviets' reluctance to evacuate the area and publicize the problem. (Heck, the West only found out about it when the plume of radioactivity passed over Scandinavia.) But the area recovered, and the wrecked reactor now is a tourist attraction, and you can actually visit the control room where the technician hit the wrong panic button and blew the top off the container.

The plight of the thousands of people who have lost their homes and all their possessions in the tsunami is much more disturbing, especially as it is still winter in Japan and the event was followed by a heavy snowstorm. I'd be much more anxious to follow the relief efforts for these people, who need shelter, warmth, food, and good wishes.
JWR

Post by JWR »

For anyone who wants to bypass the "NETWORKS" who are in the ratings business.
Here is a link that will allow one to get more up to date info on the powerplants.
http://depletedcranium.com/best-sources ... -reactors/
teggacat
Senpai - Elder

Post by teggacat »

sensei wrote: The plight of the thousands of people who have lost their homes and all their possessions in the tsunami is much more disturbing, especially as it is still winter in Japan and the event was followed by a heavy snowstorm. I'd be much more anxious to follow the relief efforts for these people, who need shelter, warmth, food, and good wishes.
I couldnt agree more, Sensei, the radiation situation, while very serious, is by far overshadowing the efforts to help these people. They have experienced severe earthquake followed by tsumani, lets get back to the reality of the plight here, the nuke issue has been caused by this natural catostrophic event, not human error-and as usual, the media, especially US media, has to make a mess things.