What would you do?

Talk about anything you'd like! Play games, tell jokes, and share your life.
Belldandy16
Yosutebito - Hermit

What would you do?

Post by Belldandy16 »

Hi friends! I need your advice for something.
Im a member of the webcam community, "BlogTV" and i found out that people can actually show movies and tv shows on it. Well someone was playing Star Trek on it 24/7 and im a BIG trek fan (so i just hung out there alot).
Well there you can chat with people so you know, im a big talker, so i talk to people alot.

Well there was this one guy i met yesterday on there. He's very childish (when we were watching a movie he started a "virtual food fight" lol). So he takes a liking to me, i guess, and wants to talk at his site (still on Blog tv but its his "place" there- he didnt say that word, i did).

Anyways, to get to the point, we start talking and probably the third question he asks is "oh are you bi-curious?".
im like "eh?" i had no idea what he's talking about. He asked me this before on the regular chat with everyone there and i just brushed him off.
So i think hes asking me if i im bisexual. i say no im not. He says "oh no! i mean you like boys but youre curious about girls".
Im like, no. Then i asked him, "oh are you drinking?" and he got REALLY offended when im just teasing him about it.
So i have this alarm going off in the back of my mind and i ask him, "how old are you"… man this like shocked him i guess. He kept deflecting the question, asking why do i want to know, i just tell him im curious, i ask him how old he thinks i am, he says "oh 16" (because thats the number in my name, Belldandy16) and i tell him… no im in my latter 20s. THEN it all goes south.

He says "oh are you a stalker?', " oh why dont you have a boyfriend? did you murder all your previous boyfriends?? 8O " im thinking he's joking because he has a sick sense of humor? :?
Anyways, he finally says to me, "oh im 38 but i act like a 20yo" 8O (uhhhhh more like an 15yo).

What im getting at is, if this guy is actually 38, WHY is he talking to a 16yo (which seriously he thought i was) about their sexuality???
im so mad at myself for not recording that conversation (you can to report to the mods) but i didnt think that it would go in that direction.

So i look at his friends list and he has like 70 some friends and almost all are teen girls.

Im wondering if i should report him to the mods or somebody because… this guy's a psyco!

or maybe he is actually 15 and just … a freak?
90sKid
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by 90sKid »

Honestly, I'd just cut off all ties with him and walk away from the whole thing. Like you said, you don't know if he's a pervy 30 year old, or just some teenager being a freak. I guess you can contact a mod about him, but if it were me in that situation, I'd just end it and walk away, hoping the teen girls that are on his friends list are smart enough to deal with internet pervs.
MyBaby
Juuyaku - Executive

report him

Post by MyBaby »

I'd let the mods see your conversation, if possible, and let them decide. Do not converse with this person any more.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

I'd go a step further. Unless you're going through an established internet dating site like eHarmony, don't do the internet date thing. Especially while you're still a minor.

I'm sad to say that there are lots of predators on the internet and, at least in the US, there are countless stories every year where a girl goes to meet some guy who supposedly is her peer that she met on an internet site, but ends up abducted and dead.

Don't talk to this person and put them on your ignore list. The fact that this guy is already asking about your sexuality is creepy. The fact that he's an adult using a website geared for teens is also creepy.

If you ever decide to meet anyone you meet on the internet, even from dating websites such as eHarmony, make sure your first meeting is in public...like at a coffeehouse or a restaurant.
Sky Rat
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Sky Rat »

I think it might be a good idea to tell the mods to keep an eye on that guy. I'm not sure you could file a real legal complaint against him, since he doesn't seemed to have propositioned you to actually meet...but he was definitely being inappropriate, and it is SUPER creepy that he was asking you sexual questions when he thought you were a teenager. It really sets off alarms that he would have tried something more predatory if you had responded more receptively to him. I'd say warn someone with some authority and then stay the heck away from that guy. He's not well intentioned.

And I agree with Cutiebunny's advice. I've set up meetings with several people I met online...but I always meet them somewhere public first (a con or a restaurant, etc.) You definitely need to be cautious.
Joost
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Joost »

Don't talk to him anymore and report him to the mods.
I work in the IT-branch and I saw a couple very disturbing things an a guy's PC.... I just called the police and they said it was a good thing to do.
Hell, its even a felony when you don't report ( I mean in my case ).

So please report the guy, if he's talking like this to you, he's doing it to others too. The less guys like that running around the better.
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

cutiebunny wrote:Especially while you're still a minor.
.... The fact that he's an adult using a website geared for teens is also creepy.
Belldandy16 is in her 20s, so I'm pretty sure she's safe from being a minor. :wink: I doubt the website they're on is not aimed at teenagers if they're watching reruns of Star Trek.

But this guy does sound like a total douche. I'd report him to the mods and not talk to him any further.
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Post by duotrouble »

If I'm reading your post right, it sounds like you were actually talking to each other and not typing. That's why you're mad you didn't record it because you have nothing to show proof that he said the things you claim. Correct? But don't worry about that. I would report your side of the story to a mod and cut all ties with the guy just like Joost said. In a lot of cases, doing nothing is a felony too. I think it's better to report your "miscommunication" than not report it and he winds up being a child molester who gets away with damaging a few young girls before someone else reports him.
Joost wrote:So please report the guy, if he's talking like this to you, he's doing it to others too. The less guys like that running around the better.
Couldn't agree more!
Can you hear this fangirl squee?!
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

I agree: the guy (if it is a guy) may be 16 himself and enjoy pulling the legs of other people s/he chats with. But it is joking on a forbidden subject, and so I think a report to the mods is a prudent move.

Heh. This thread reminds me of when I arranged to meet a fellow CLAMP collector, who'd gone in with me to bid together for some sketch sets, so we could settle up and look at each other's cel books. We met in a coffee house, and her brother, a medieval reenacter, sat opposite us, busily sewing chain mail into armor, while I looked at her Rayearth henshin cels and she looked at my CCS nude banks.

Nothing untoward happened, but who knows but that I might have been a multiply homicidal transvestite from the Jersey Barrens rather than a meek professor from the Blue Ridge Valley.
otakusin
Juuyaku - Executive

Post by otakusin »

Better safe than sorry REPORT HIM... at least to the mods!!
We're gonna turn this team around 360 degrees!! -- Jason Kidd
pixie_princess
Kamisama - God

Post by pixie_princess »

I agree with everyone else, report him. Who knows maybe he is just some creepy stalker dude with a sick sense of humor. There is always the chance though that he may be some predator looking for someone responsive to hook up with. If your report just makes it so that mods keep a closer eye on him, that is still at least one potential person you might have saved from having something bad happening to them.

When I was a teenager, I used to call a few local bbs (basically think an irc type environment with cheesy ansi colors/graphics). Since one of the places was very local (people from the surrounding 5 or so cities were the ones calling there) and several people were around the same peer group so to speak, there were quite a few who already knew each other, and some of whom I had been friends with for years. I typically only met people in public locations, or when I had someone I trusted with me. Most of the time the people I met were others that friends (people I had known for several years) could vouch for.

Hopefully the mods will watch him (your creepy 15ish acting 30+ year old) till he steps out of line, or rumor of his goings on will spread and people will avoid him that way. Either way, I'd strongly recommend cutting all communication with him asap.
Belldandy16
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by Belldandy16 »

thanks guys for all your advice! :D
In the end i did report him to the mods and hopefully that will do something (though i never got an email back from them saying what they will do or anything) and i un-friended him.

Cutiebunny, the website is for all ages but mostly teens use it to talk to each other with their webcams and next to the webcam feed you can chat with other people. You can actually play movies/tv shows on it too (and one guy was showing Star Trek 24/7, so that was where i met him - we were watching star trek and chatting, then he invited me to his site to chat privately).
Oh and thank you for your advice too! :)

Duo, no i was just text chatting with him (not using a webcam) and there is a feature where you can save the text chats but i didnt save it because i just didnt think. >_<

oooh yeah Sensei, i see what you mean!

Thanks again for all the advice and experiences guys!
Lets hope something good will come from all this.
blueheaven
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by blueheaven »

There is a website called cybertipline.com where you can report incidents like this. If this guy is hanging on a board like this and chatting up underage girls about sexual questions, he is a predator. This needs to be reported to the FBI. It's sad, but we've all been on the internet long enough to come bye things like this.
Time is but an illusion. Lunch time...doubly so.
iwakuralain16
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by iwakuralain16 »

Belldandy16 wrote:thanks guys for all your advice! :D
In the end i did report him to the mods and hopefully that will do something (though i never got an email back from them saying what they will do or anything) and i un-friended him.

Cutiebunny, the website is for all ages but mostly teens use it to talk to each other with their webcams and next to the webcam feed you can chat with other people. You can actually play movies/tv shows on it too (and one guy was showing Star Trek 24/7, so that was where i met him - we were watching star trek and chatting, then he invited me to his site to chat privately).
Oh and thank you for your advice too! :)

Duo, no i was just text chatting with him (not using a webcam) and there is a feature where you can save the text chats but i didnt save it because i just didnt think. >_<

oooh yeah Sensei, i see what you mean!

Thanks again for all the advice and experiences guys!
Lets hope something good will come from all this.
I still use this user name in public chats and other places online. I rarely use chats but I have been asked if I was 16. Um.. no.. i as 16 when I started using this handle though? It is not practical to change my handle names every year and iwakuralain was taken. :) let us know if they do something to that guys account.