Do we have any photographers in the house?

Talk about anything you'd like! Play games, tell jokes, and share your life.
Goldknight
RULER

Do we have any photographers in the house?

Post by Goldknight »

Many many years ago I was heavy into the hobby of photography. I wasn't an expert by any means, but I sure enjoyed it. I had the classic Pentax K1000 and all the lenses and other toys with it. I fought the digital age because I had become so comfortable with the Pentax, but alas.....it got tired. I finally bit the bullet and bought my first fancy dSLR over the Xmas break. And so begins the learning process. All these buttons and settings. I feel like I'm back at square one learning all the basics again and much more, but I'm really enjoying it. I've gotten my deviantart gallery constantly updating, but I still always have questions. I'm curious if there are some beta members into photography and if they have galleries to show their work?
"Life can only be lived looking forward. It is understood when looking backwards" - Hadji From Real Adventures of Jonny Quest
Gold Knight's Cel Gallery - Rubberslug

Angelic-Lair
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Angelic-Lair »

*raises hand*
I used to shoot for a newspaper several years ago, but now I do fine-art photography.
My site: http://www.joelkern.net
I started out on a K1000 in university. Good camera.
Now I'm using a Canon 5D (Mark I).
Digital can be a little overwhelming at first, but you'll get used to it. The best advice I can give is to set your camera to shoot JPEG + RAW together. Work with the JPEGs now (they're easier for beginners) and save the RAW files so you can work on them later (once you've learned more).
I'm still learning new stuff and I've been shooting digital for about ten years. :)
Sky Rat
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Sky Rat »

Angelic-Lair wrote:*raises hand*
I used to shoot for a newspaper several years ago, but now I do fine-art photography.
My site: http://www.joelkern.net
I LOVE your nature photos!! Do you ever make calendars of your photography??
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Post by duotrouble »

*raises hand*

I started in high school with a Pentax. It was fully manual. No automatic features what-so-ever. I shot a lot of black & white pics and even entered several photography contests. I think 3rd place was the best I did though. :roll: Still good for a beginner. :)

I fought the digital age too until after my first trip to Japan. I took 8 rolls of film. The lab destroyed most of them due to a faulty machine. :evil: I wound up with about 3 rolls worth of decent pictures. The following year I was traveling to England. I didn't want a repeat of Japan so I bought my very first digital camera, a Nikon. I love it! /kis

When I was in school, I developed my own film and never dealt with outside labs. My dad was even going to build a darkroom for me but since I was going off to college and then living on my own that never happened. Maybe if I would have gotten into it earlier in life. I still love taking pictures now. For some reason though, I don't take that much anymore. I have a flickr site.

DT's online pics
Can you hear this fangirl squee?!
Goldknight
RULER

Post by Goldknight »

I love your site Joel! 8O Very nice. You need to post your site DT..... :wink: :P
"Life can only be lived looking forward. It is understood when looking backwards" - Hadji From Real Adventures of Jonny Quest

Angelic-Lair
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Angelic-Lair »

Sky Rat wrote: I LOVE your nature photos!! Do you ever make calendars of your photography??
Thanks Sky Rat! Haven't made calendars yet. Maybe one day. :)
Goldknight wrote: I love your site Joel! Very nice.
Thanks Goldknight! We're hoping to see your site, too. :)
Ryouko
Kamisama - God

Post by Ryouko »

I spent the last 4 years working for a photo studio, both as photographer and then later as head of post production and retouching. I'm working in post production for a printing company now for the time being after moving across country, but hope to get back into the studio business eventually. :) In the meantime, I still do a bunch of freelance work:

http://www.kampai-photo.com/

I have a few galleries up on my site, but am still in the process of uploading some of my older stuff. A lot of my fine art work is also not up yet...
Webmistress and owner of Picture Perfect:
http://www.rockman-exe.com/picture.html
http://ryouko.rubberslug.com/gallery/home.asp
Always looking for high-quality Tamahome, Tasuki or Boshi-twin cels!
Goldknight
RULER

Post by Goldknight »

Awesome galleries everyone. I didn't notice that DT had already posted hers. :rollin I so need to pay attention. I still need to update mine a bit more, but it's HERE :)

Angelic-Lair
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Angelic-Lair »

Really nice photos, Goldknight! /no1
Sky Rat
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Sky Rat »

Angelic-Lair wrote: Thanks Sky Rat! Haven't made calendars yet. Maybe one day. :)
Let me know if you do! I like to make my own nature calendars every year but my photograhy isn't half as nice as yours. I'd totally buy one if you did.
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Post by duotrouble »

Goldknight wrote:Awesome galleries everyone. I didn't notice that DT had already posted hers. :rollin I so need to pay attention.
:hitting: You totally crack me up, GK! :hitting:

I agree. Everyone has great galleries. I'm currently working on my Charky's memories book but once I'm done I may update my flickr. I took a bunch of pictures down but my mom just joined the site. She wants to see more pics so the pressure is on. Must add more pics. :^^:
Can you hear this fangirl squee?!
Goldknight
RULER

Post by Goldknight »

AngelicLair wrote:Really nice photos, Goldknight!
Thank you so much. I still have a lot to learn, but it's really fun. I just need to take a trip to the mountains sometime and shoot some landscapes. :sweatdrop

pixie_princess
Kamisama - God

Post by pixie_princess »

I've loved Photography since I was a little girl. I've owned quite a few cameras. At 6 years old I was given a Polaroid Insta-matic. The film was quite pricey and I gave away most of the pictures *^.^*. When I was 9 years old, I received a Vivitar 110 as a Christmas present. For the next several years that was almost always in my hands. I think this is where a nice chunk of my allowance went as a kid. Before I started my Senior year of Highschool my dad gave me the family camera -a Canon AE-1 and a couple of lenses. This camera was pretty much my baby and I rarely let anyone else handle it. When I had my first child, I added a Canon Elph to the mix. It was my way of making sure I always had a camera with me. A few years ago(5 years more or less) my husband gave me a Canon Rebel XT for my birthday and I've been using mostly that one since.

One of the nice points for dSLRs is that you do not have to worry about the cost of film or developing. I do however miss working in a darkroom and playing around with an enlarger. Currently I'm saving up for another dSLR camera. :) In the past I've worked in a couple photolabs. Aside from that I've done a wedding and a few product photography jobs. Although the bride and groom were nice, I do not think I will be shooting anymore weddings unless it is for a friend or family member.
Goldknight
RULER

Post by Goldknight »

I agree that working in the dark room was fun, but I don't miss the smell. Oh how I hated that smell. :rollin

Kaona
Shikaisha - Moderator
Shikaisha - Moderator

Post by Kaona »

I enjoyed looking at everyone's photos, very nice! :)

I became interested in photography a few years ago. My first decent digital camera was a Sony DSC-F707. When it died, I went with a Nikon D90 and Nikkor 18-200mm lens. It is an amazing camera, but I know only a fraction of what it can truly do.

Here are some of my photos - http://www.kurodaiya.deviantart.com/