Help me sort out this logic... (this is long, be warned)

Talk about anything you'd like! Play games, tell jokes, and share your life.
kamidake
Kishin - Fierce God

Help me sort out this logic... (this is long, be warned)

Post by kamidake »

I recently had to deal with the billings department for one of my yearly subscriptions. First I got an bill for 1 year charge, let's say $50, usually they do this in January, but I guess they're a little behind. 2 days later, I got another bill, for $100. I was like... what's this?! There was an attached note:
-----------------------
Since you were not charged last years this is the annual fee for previous years.
You will be charged again in August to bring you into sync with everyone
else.  So we can charge all customers in August from now on.
-------------------------
I was like.. previous yearS? I looked up my records, lo and behold, I wasn't charged in 2010, but 2009 and prior I paid. I e-mailed them back regarding the multiple year charge, and the being charged again in August thing. First couple of e-mails was regarding whether I paid for 2009, until I sent them the bill showing that I did.

Here's one of my e-mails trying to figure out their system:

So what I paid in January of 09 is for the entire year of 09.  So the year I missed is 2010, so thats $50.  And when you said you want to start billing in August, you meant the billing will be for September 2011 to August 2012 right?  So shouldn't the 2011 you're going to charge me right now only be from January to august?  Either way though, I still got an extra charge on my CC because right now you charged me a total of $150.
----------------------
Their e-mail back:
We have double checked and confirmed that the charges are correct.
However, it isn't YOUR fault that we didn't charge you for previous years. So in appreciation of your having been a great customer, I have zeroed out the second bill for the previous uncharged years, leaving you with $100 credit to apply to future orders.
---------------------
I was like... great, you're going to give me credit, but you haven't explained anything. Grrrrr....
---------------------
My e-mail in response:
I've attached the bill from 2009 that clearly stated that I paid the annual fee for 2009. So I don't know what you've doubled checked but obviously the charges are NOT correct.

I will also need you to spell out exactly what you'll be charging me. $50
for the year of 2010? I'm fine with that. But what about 2011? I want
something very clearly spelled out so when August comes around, I won't have to deal with this kind of billing mishap again.
---------------------
Them:
We're very sorry this is so confusing.
Yes you paid in 2009. That's why we charged you for a total of 3 years to bring you as paid up to 2012.
When we charge you in August, it will ONLY be for 3 months, NOT the full $50. This will bring you to paid up to August 2012.
--------------------
Ummm... yes I was right... but that's WHY you charged me for 3 years??? I don't get it...
--------------------

My latest email:

So what you were saying was that you were right to charge me for 3 years, paying up to 2012. But in August of 2011, you still need to charge me for 3 months to fully cover for 2012?

2010 – January to December = $50
2011 – January to December = $50
2012 – January to December = $50

That’s the 3 years worth you wanted to charge me. But charging another 3 months in August will put me to March of 2013??? Do you see why I’m confused?
---------------
Soooo basically, I'm still seeing that they think they're right to charge me for 3 years in the beginning, even though they conceded that I already paid for 2009. What I'm miffed about is that I've asked them to spell out exactly for what are they charging me, and they didn't.

The way I'm calculating, if I pay for what they say they're going to charge me, I say I'm good till March of 2013. But according to them, I'd be good till 2012. (which I don't know why I need to, I should only have to paid till end of 2011 right now) But I'm no accountant or math wiz so somebody please help me see their logic. I am getting all worked up over this, and it's not even really the money (since they're crediting me) it's that they obviously fail to see my reasons and I fail to see theirs. The complete lacking in common understanding is what's driving me crazy.

Sorry for the loooooooong post, I really need to vent. >_<
"If ifs and buts are clusters and nuts, we'd all have a bowl of granola." -- Stephen Colbert
http://ix.rubberslug.com/
Xelloss
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Xelloss »

It doesn't really make sense to me either, and understanding logic is part of my job ^^;

- Karen
animeobsessed
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by animeobsessed »

Sounds similar to an email I recently received; however, I handled it a little differently.

I told them they could cancel the subscription since I don't use it enough to justify the cost. They responsed similar to yours saying, since I was such a great customer then would wave the back charges since it was their fault and I would only owe for the $50 going forward. I have yet to response again. I need write back and find out what time period this would pay me through. The amount they waved was $68. for 1.4 months - through Aug. I was confused as well.
(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
(")_(")domination.
kamidake
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by kamidake »

AO: Yup, that's what I ended up doing, which finally put me through to their "management." And FINALLY got everything sorted out. The person I was dealing with apparently was just told to say what she told me. But I needed more explanation which she could not provide. I wish she had just forwarded me to the management when she couldn't answer my questions, instead of dinking around with me until I told her to just cancel my subscription. But still, at the end of the day, the original 3 year charge was just a plain mistake on their part, but not once did the person acknowledge that, and I think that was what pissed me off the most.

[/img]
"If ifs and buts are clusters and nuts, we'd all have a bowl of granola." -- Stephen Colbert
http://ix.rubberslug.com/