May 21st

Talk about anything you'd like! Play games, tell jokes, and share your life.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

BeautifulAlone wrote:[That was my understanding of the Rapture...that the Believers are taken leaving the non-Believers, therefore saying this world becomes He**
Not quite: What happens is that the best souls on earth are supernaturally removed from the earth prior to the Endtimes predicted in Revelation. This means that these souls totally escape the tribulations and go directly to the Lord. The scripture verse usually cited as support for this belief is 1 Thessalonians 4:16-17:
For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever.
But while this seems to refer to the Resurrection after the tribulations, the common belief is that the Rapture will take place beforethe arrival of Antichrist, the plagues and warfare, etc. As I understand it, the battle with Antichrist will go on for a long time after the Rapture. Those who aren't quite good enough to make the cut for immediate ascension can redeem themselves by not getting painted with 666 on your forehead and otherwise annoying the One Worlders who will take over everywhere. Then when the Apocalypse does take place, and the sinful of the world are confined to the Pool of Fire, then those who have proved faithful will join the rest in Heaven.

If you have access to the interesting comic-book tracts of Jack T. Chick, you can get a visual and dramatic account of what the Rapture and the Endtimes will be like.

As a Lutheran amillennialist (one who does not believe in a single global event that is the prophesied Endtimes), I guess I'm pretty definitely on the Lord's no-fly list. But then I believe that Antichrist has come many many times and has many more avatars yet to appear before the curtains fall on humanity.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

BeautifulAlone wrote:Was that the time a religious group acting more like a cult took their own lives when it didn't happen? Man... It's touching to have something to believe in, but not that much. 8O
No, it was a lot more moderate than that. It was just a group that made that calculation and decided to tell everyone about it. I don't think anything bad came out of it other than they were wrong. But every time I hear another group come out with their theory it reminds me of that full page newspaper article.

It reminds of those pyramidologists with their theories on the King and Queen's chambers and the passages measuring out to one year per ??? measurement (whatever it was).
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

The shame of this "prediction" is that there are always some who believe it so strongly they are prepared to throw away their lives.

case in point: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ds-newsxml
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
glorff
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by glorff »

For me it has been mostly invitations to post Rapture parties. Should be a good party with all the stick in the muds gone! :D
Dave

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.
crackpot27
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!
Location: My GPS is telling me to turn and there is no road...

Post by crackpot27 »

glorff wrote:For me it has been mostly invitations to post Rapture parties. Should be a good party with all the stick in the muds gone! :D
Now that sounds like more fun :cheers

I'll be in Chicago dressed like some random character at Acen, me and my fellow dorks will already be in heaven therefore we shalt have to decline the most generous offer of withdrawl to the next life. Besides I'm pretty sure any heavenly presence that should accidently pick me up, would soundly drop me on my head as soon as I opened my mouth /ho
JWR

Post by JWR »

"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
Sky Rat
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Sky Rat »

HA. I was wondering if that's how people would justify it when nothing happens!!!
MyBaby
Juuyaku - Executive

Post by MyBaby »

Ahh.. I'm looking forward to a nice long vacation... :wink:
BTW I'll be at the AC con too, dressed as a female Bleach's Renji!
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

If the world's going to end, could it at least be on a day where I have to go to work ?! /arg
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Have they said what time on May 21st? Because I don't want to be driving or something and then all of a sudden I disappear. The car would be moving forward without a driver! 8O

Look out for falling planes for those of you who live near airports.

/wah
Sky Rat
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Sky Rat »

Keropi wrote:Have they said what time on May 21st? Because I don't want to be driving or something and then all of a sudden I disappear. The car would be moving forward without a driver! 8O

Look out for falling planes for those of you who live near airports.

/wah

I heard 6:00. It's supposed to happen in shifts for every time zone. <__<
sensei

Post by sensei »

Has anyone ever noticed that the bit about cars and planes crashing after the Rapture is obviously based on a scene in Philip Wylie's 1951 science-fiction novel The Disappearance? I read that when I was a teenager sometime way back in the previous century, when Wylie was a great deal more popular than he is now. His novel Gladiator was one of the main inspirations for the Superman comic series, and his social criticism Brood of Vipers was for a time one of the main anti-feminist tracts. His big disaster novel When Worlds Collide also inspired one of the classic 50s sci-fi-we're-all-gonna-die movies.

None of this has worn especially well, but he clearly influenced Rapturology. Of course, once God gets His (Wylie would insist on the pronoun) Favorites up in the sky, He won't give a fig about what happens to the losers who remain.

Of course if women were allowed to plan the Rapture, it would end up being an even bigger mess than it's going to be.

:joke My wife has already asked me to make her a "Whore of Babylon" t-shirt to wear this summer.
D123
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by D123 »

after seeing this I take it even less serious now :messed
http://news.yahoo.com/video/losangelesc ... 7/25299245
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Post by theultimatebrucelee »

man..not the ancient conspiracy again, they'll never come true-_-"

funny how the time zone thing works...so I think its already 21st 6am in some counties, has anyone tried contacting their relatives recent hours :D

...I wonder if the believers, since its the last day and all all went out there do spread disaster to the world, last day and all, why not?
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

I don't have any relatives that far away in that direction. :D

I don't see any news stories yet on the Rapture happening. Do you suppose that it's because there's only unbelievers in those areas and they are trying to cover the story up? ?^_^?