Fave tunes you grew up with

Talk about anything you'd like! Play games, tell jokes, and share your life.
BeautifulAlone
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Re: Fave tunes you grew up with

Post by BeautifulAlone »

Captain Haddock wrote:Dude if musicals/showtunes and Bonnie Tyler are what hit the spot for you don't do yourself down for it, love the things you love it's all you can do in life.
Well spoken. Thanks! :D

Random, but I remember when they had a birthday concert for Andrew Lloyd Webber televised. Of course I watched it. And Bonnie Tyler was there singing "Faster than the Limits Allow" and it was really good. I was like "Omigawd. She's so cool!"! Heh... :)
"Like a lonely flower, I wilt a bit. Like a lonely star, I bathe in the evening light. Then with a blank face keep murmuring to someone,
'Ah, I'm not lonely...'"
Shampoo
Kiba-phile

Post by Shampoo »

I was (and still am) insanely eclectic in music. :emb :emb
In the late 80s/early90s I was listening to anything I thought sounded sweet
to my grade school ears. That was just about as hodge podge as
mix tapes w/ songs from N.W.A, TLC, Michael Jackson, to Sex Pistols,
David Bowie, The Who to No Doubt, Pizzicato 5, to Nirvana,
and Soundgarden LOL!
:rollin
I was all over the place. :crazy While my classmates were way into
the more mainstream BoyzIIMen, Mariah Carey, and New Kids on
the Block-- blech, I could have cared less!
I always related to older kids and teens because of my odd tastes even at
a young age.

As for fav tunes, I'd say my 3 favs as a little munchkin were:

"Black Hole Sun" from Soundgarden
"Twiggy Twiggy" from Pizzicato 5
and
"Billie Jean" from MJ
:D
blueheaven
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by blueheaven »

I think 90's music, particularly grunge, was an American thing. You kinda had to be here to get it. As for what music I liked:

The Cure: Pictures of You
NWA: Straight Outta Compton
Nirvana: Breed
Dropkick Murphys: Pipe Bomb on Lansdowne
No Doubt: Running
Primus: Those Damned Blue-Collar Tweekers
L7: Shitlist

I find music fascinating, and cyclical. In the fifties, you had the conformist elements taking over rock and roll from the young people. Then come breakouts like Hendrix, The Doors, The Who, and Led Zeppelin in the 60's and early 70's. Then, we go back to conformist music like Elton John, and the disco craze in the late 70's. Then American clubs start cranking out punk rock to buck the system in the 70's in New York, 80's in LA. We go back to electronica and pop music in the 80's, only to wind up with grunge and gangsta rap in the 90's as a retort. Grunge and rap gives way to corporate rock(Candlebox, Everclear, etc), pop, and R&B in the mid 90's through 2005. Now, I see a great leveling of the playing fields. For every Rhianna, Lady Gaga, and Katy Perry, there is an Arcade Fire, Lily Allen, and Mumford and Sons. I think we are on the verge of one of the best decades for music.
Time is but an illusion. Lunch time...doubly so.
Gonzai
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Gonzai »

Pantera!! .rockon.
Captain Haddock
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Captain Haddock »

It seems Shampoo that you had a well grounded experiance at a young age which can only be a good thing. For myself I grew up around metal mostly Maiden, Metalica when I was a child in the 80's because of my sister so it has always been there for me. I did as I said get into pop type stuff for a few inbetween years, then at the end of school till well now really it's been back to Metal. I tended to gravitate towards metalers/punks (not exclusivly I'm not that pure) and eventually I had a shop where I got to know the guys and they pointed me towards a whole array of bizzare wonderfully heavy music. I've dabbled elsewhere Hip Hop (I think Buck 65 is a stroke of genius, seriously if you like Bluesy Hip Hop do check him out he's sublime) and also got back into dance music to an extent, but with more mature stuff. So yeah I didn't start ecclectic, but I've matured in my tastes to be able to say sod it if I like it I like it! :P

I think Blueheaven your correct, when I've been out and about in London I've seen so many really talented musicians who aren't afraid to experiment, so something has to give soon. I like these guys they're alot of fun, though they're not exactly obscure anymore though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2nDHyIFnzI

Gonzai this is just for you, the Monsters of Rock tour when it hit Moscow is still regarded as one of the biggest gigs ever, what happens when you play a gig in Russia just after the wall comes down. Phil is On fire in this video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lXXvUIEy2o
teggacat
Senpai - Elder

Post by teggacat »

blueheaven wrote:I think 90's music, particularly grunge, was an American thing. You kinda had to be here to get it.
oh man, who could forget grunge!! I was a total Pearl Jam addict for years
animeobsessed
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by animeobsessed »

My favorite bands while in high school (70s) included Journey, Boston, Genesis and Phil Collins, Fleetwood Mac, Queen, Heart, Kansas, and of course, Michael Jackson. But my top favorite band was Styx. Even though I lived in Montana I was able to attend the Crystal Ball, Paradise Theater and Mr Roboto tours. Out of 7 albums I had, I think I only disliked 2 songs, but my all time favorite Styx song is still Castle Walls which wasn't a single.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09l_zXCQ ... re=related

Once my girls were teenagers, I started listing to bands such as Metallica, Linkin Park, Tool, Nickelback, Matchbox 20, Rihanna to name just a few.
Last edited by animeobsessed on Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
(")_(")domination.
blueheaven
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by blueheaven »

Gonzai wrote:Pantera!! .rockon.
RIP Dimebag.

If you haven't heard L7 yet, you must. They are one of only six all female bands I've ever heard that truly rocks (others are The Donnas, Civet, Luscious Jackson, Sleater-Kinney, and The Runaways).
Time is but an illusion. Lunch time...doubly so.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

To be honest I didn't listen to much music until seventh grade. My parents would listen to Bee Gees, Neil Diamond and Platters albums and I grew to like those after hearing them so many times, but things didn't pick up until Middle School.

Most of the groups I liked in Middle School were the same groups that my best friend like since I was hanging around him all the time. The music I listened to the most were the Eagles, Styx, Journey, Ozzy Osbourne, Rush, Supertramp, Little River Band, ELO, Michael Jackson, Bob Seger, Queen, AC/DC, Foreigner, Donna Summer,, Rod Stewart, Commodores, Van Halen, Cheap Trick, Fleetwood Mac, Tom Petty, Air Supply, Kool & the Gang and the Cars.

Some of these would get played endlessly in my friends 8-track tape player as my friend's dad drove us somewhere to go bowling. :D

I think he replayed Queen's The Game tape the most. He blasted that tape a lot. Lol
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

I'm kinda in Keropi's boat. I remember listening to a couple of pop songs as a kid, but I guess my mom became too afraid of the affect of 'modern' music after I started singing Lionel Richie's "All Night Long" in the car...to the point that, until I became a teenager, I didn't know much of what was going on. I guess it wasn't such a big loss - I missed out on Tiffany and Debbie Gibson, but got to hear Cure, Depeche Mode, Cyndy Lauper, WHAM and Oingo Boingo. If we listened to music as a child in the car ride home, it was always classical.

I was quite ecclectic as a teen and I liked all sorts of stuff. I listened to grunge but liked more of the British wave that hit the US during the mid-1990s. I listened to anything that was on MTV (because, in between episodes of the Real World, they actually played music then...)..Blur, Oasis, Soundgarden, NIN, Ice Cube, Notorious BIG, SnoppDogg, etc. I also liked European Techno quite a bit and was always on the lookout for anything from Germany, Poland, and of course, several mixes from the Ministry of Sound. And yes, I still can't believe that Boy George became an MoS DJ.

Once the boy bands came into power, I really rejected a lot of US music and went into J-pop, Spanish pop and Gypsy Flamenco. If US music starts to incorporate more of the 1990s element, I'll probably put more US music on my Ipod. But as is now, the majority of English music I have on my Ipod was done in the 80s/90s.
Gonzai
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Gonzai »

Captain Haddock wrote:Gonzai this is just for you, the Monsters of Rock tour when it hit Moscow is still regarded as one of the biggest gigs ever, what happens when you play a gig in Russia just after the wall comes down. Phil is On fire in this video!
I tried all day long to get that link to come up. I must say, it was well
worth the wait!! That is one huge crowd! 8O You are correct about
Phil, and Darrell was smokin hot as usual! Thanks for the link CH!! That
truly made my day! :o
Captain Haddock
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Captain Haddock »

I love the way AO mentions Tool inbetween Linkin Park and Nickleback like its the most natural thing in the world, that was sublime! 8) Did you ever get to see Styx live, I think from the evidence of that song been quite a magical thing.

I think though Keropi and Cutiebunny, your actually the norm. most people don't stick to one genre, I think to be hosest it would be weird to go through life and only listen to Country or Metal although of course some people do. I do listen mostly to metal as I've mentioned previously and the advantage for me is I've come to understand it alot more as a genre as well as seeing a great bunch of live shows. That said even in my purest years as a late teen early adult other things crept in around the seams so it was never a totally one way street.

Well glad you enjoyed it Gonzai, I don't know why it would give you so much trouble though? I think maybe because I was logged in to you tube when I copied the link that may have had something to do with it? Who knows, but at least you got to see it. And yes it does rock very much!