Hurricane Irene

Talk about anything you'd like! Play games, tell jokes, and share your life.
D123
Kishin - Fierce God

Re: Hurricane Irene

Post by D123 »

sensei wrote:Good news: there was a calm here about a half hour ago, and now the wind has shifted to the north, so the center of the hurricane has passed. I have not gone out to investigate, and there may be trouble in the low-lying sections nearby, but I never lost power or Internet access, and from the looks of the radar, I don't think I will now. The storm seemed much more spectacular in media coverage ("Irene batters the Delmarva coast!") than from my windows and front door. But perhaps the mature treelines in my neighborhood effectively broke up the heavier gusts.

We’re supposed to be really getting it in the morning still have power as of now it did go out for a few minutes, glad you’re ok sensei
sensei wrote:We finally did get some reporters from NBC to set up here. They filmed the local police harrassing a bunch of surfers who were doggedly looking for the perfect wave,
I seen all day on the weather channel a bunch of dummys swimming in the ocean and posing behind the weather guy on tv I can’t believe that :puzzled

I hope everybody’s is and will be ok it’s looking bad out there :O
Mixed Array

Post by Mixed Array »

I got about 5/6 hrs before it hits here in NYC. the wait is driving me nuts. I want it over already. I can handle the rain, it the wind I don't like. My town has a lot of big old tree & affraid they'll come down & well be with out power for days or even longer. In March we had a strom not bad as this & we lost tons of trees & no power for about 4 1/2 days. I was bad.

It's not even here yet & the wind is howling; it's scary.

I'm glad sensei is ok & I hope everone else will be too. Nite

**keeps fingers crossed that have power tomorrow when I wake up.
rosesleep
Juuyaku - Executive

Post by rosesleep »

The_Void wrote:I got about 5/6 hrs before it hits here in NYC. the wait is driving me nuts. I want it over already. I can handle the rain, it the wind I don't like. My town has a lot of big old tree & affraid they'll come down & well be with out power for days or even longer. In March we had a strom not bad as this & we lost tons of trees & no power for about 4 1/2 days. I was bad.

It's not even here yet & the wind is howling; it's scary.

I'm glad sensei is ok & I hope everone else will be too. Nite

**keeps fingers crossed that have power tomorrow when I wake up.
I know what you mean. I live in the lower part of Manhattan and according to the government website, I am in Zone C. Since I live in a government building, police officers knocked on every door - asking if we would like to take shelter around 50th street or something. My mother was basically hysterical and trust me, watching CNN did not help.

There is some power outage in Queens and I heard some parts of Brooklyn is out of power also >.<;; Currently it is 2:30am, the only elements Irene is displaying are rain and strong wind. But from what I've heard, the real drama will start around 8am or so... so far I've heard it will be just a tropical storm. The MTA is completely shut down since noon of Saturday...

I hope everyone is safe!
Grico
Kamisama - God

Post by Grico »

Hopefully everyone gets through this with their selves and their prized cel collections unharmed. My parents and sister live in upstate NY and thankfully they seems to have only gotten rain. Here in Indiana we don't have any coasts to worry about :P
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

Grico wrote:Here in Indiana we don't have any coasts to worry about :P
Heh. Wikipedia says Indiana has been struck by three hurricanes: Audrey (1957), Arlene (2005), and Grace (2003). It says of the last of these:
Moisture from the remnants of Grace dropped heavy rainfall across central Indiana, including a record one day total of 7 inches (178 mm) in Indianapolis, while other locations received over 9 inches (228 mm). Residents prepared sand bags to prevent overflowing rivers and creeks, though rising waters entered streets and over 700 homes. The rapid rainfall in Indianapolis backed up the sewage system, sending hundreds of millions of gallons of sewage into the streets.
You might just be ready for another "Big One." Otherwise, I guess you just have tornadoes to worry about /wah
D123
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by D123 »

Well Irene left me unscathed where I’m at the house is high up so I was lucky and didn’t get flooded like a lot did pretty bad in New Jersey :o didn't lose power either
sensei

Post by sensei »

I'm very glad to hear that. Our "local news" is Channel 4 out of New York City (because there is never anything worth reporting on the local Cephiro channels) and their coverage of the Long Beach surge and the NJ floods around Lodi were pretty sobering. Lots of us were lucky; some weren't so lucky.
tex-chan
Bish Mistress

Post by tex-chan »

Sensei, I'm really glad to hear you're OK! I've been thinking about you and hoping everything was well for you and your family. I hope the rains and winds didn't do any damage to your house.

I hope everyone else is doing OK, too.
D123
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by D123 »

sensei wrote:I'm very glad to hear that. Our "local news" is Channel 4 out of New York City (because there is never anything worth reporting on the local Cephiro channels) and their coverage of the Long Beach surge and the NJ floods around Lodi were pretty sobering. Lots of us were lucky; some weren't so lucky.
Yeah my friend’s family got 8ft of water where there at :( he had some flooding too and he’s only down the road :( Jersey got hit pretty bad :hurt:
Grico
Kamisama - God

Post by Grico »

sensei wrote:
Grico wrote:Here in Indiana we don't have any coasts to worry about :P
Heh. Wikipedia says Indiana has been struck by three hurricanes: Audrey (1957), Arlene (2005), and Grace (2003). It says of the last of these:
Moisture from the remnants of Grace dropped heavy rainfall across central Indiana, including a record one day total of 7 inches (178 mm) in Indianapolis, while other locations received over 9 inches (228 mm). Residents prepared sand bags to prevent overflowing rivers and creeks, though rising waters entered streets and over 700 homes. The rapid rainfall in Indianapolis backed up the sewage system, sending hundreds of millions of gallons of sewage into the streets.
You might just be ready for another "Big One." Otherwise, I guess you just have tornadoes to worry about /wah
Huh, my Hurricanes are tied to coasts theory is apparently flawed. Learning something new is good, I'll have to stock up on sand bags next time I go to Wal-mart :P