Hurricane Irene

Talk about anything you'd like! Play games, tell jokes, and share your life.
Mixed Array

Hurricane Irene

Post by Mixed Array »

Ok, all you east coasters are getting ready to batton down the hatches. They they are talking about it makes it seems like it's going to be real bad. On the otherhand in the past they have blown out of proprotion these types of storms & we got barely nothing. But if you rhink about it we are do fora storm lie this since it's been awhile.

I live on he south shore of long island, ny so I'll be on of the hit the hardest. So I'm hoping just for lots of rain, little wind & nothing more.

I'll keep all those on the east coast in my prayers. And if we get hit please let us know if you're alright after it's all over with.

Take Care.
D123
Kishin - Fierce God

Re: Hurricane Irene

Post by D123 »

The_Void wrote:Ok, all you east coasters are getting ready to batton down the hatches. They they are talking about it makes it seems like it's going to be real bad. On the otherhand in the past they have blown out of proprotion these types of storms & we got barely nothing. But if you rhink about it we are do fora storm lie this since it's been awhile.

I live on he south shore of long island, ny so I'll be on of the hit the hardest. So I'm hoping just for lots of rain, little wind & nothing more.
Usually by the time it hits us the storm has already died down I wouldn’t worry too much :^^:
Mixed Array

Post by Mixed Array »

I don't know, we are due for one. They are already talking about evacuating some areas.
D123
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by D123 »

The_Void wrote:I don't know, we are due for one. They are already talking about evacuating some areas.
Me neither, I hope for the best though :^^: a lot of times it can be blown out of proportion and nothing ever comes of it
Promethium
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by Promethium »

Remember a few years back it was going to be "Snowmageddon" according to Al Roker and it ended up to be just a few inches? /heh

Hopefully it'll be the same with Irene. *Keeping fingers crossed*
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

I hope so too, but it looks as if the eye is going to track right over my house, or just to the east. I've already got a box mostly filled with cel books ready to take out the door if they call for mandatory evacuation. People here still talk about Isabel, which was a weaker storm and still tore the heck out of the area.
blueshinma
Kamisama - God

Post by blueshinma »

:) don't worry my Dad went all out and bought a new fancy generator for the house, has the storm shutters already in place and the boats are on storm surge moorage. She will fizzle like a wet sparkler. (or at least we all hope!!) Plan B is that they can hide behind the mountain of paper towels and toilet paper my Mom still has stockpiled from the Y2K scare :D

But seriously I hope everyone will be safe and secure and the storm just kicks up a fuss rather than doing serious damage.
Shampoo
Kiba-phile

Post by Shampoo »

blueshinma wrote::) don't worry my Dad went all out and bought a new fancy generator for the house, has the storm shutters already in place and the boats are on storm surge moorage. She will fizzle like a wet sparkler. (or at least we all hope!!) Plan B is that they can hide behind the mountain of paper towels and toilet paper my Mom still has stockpiled from the Y2K scare :D
LMAO!! This tickled me immensely! That is too funny about the paper towels.
:rollin :hitting: :rollin :hitting: :rollin
I remember that!! People went out and bought pre-made bunkers and astronaut food.
:crackup
But seriously I hope everyone will be safe and secure and the storm just kicks up a fuss rather than doing serious damage.
Hear, hear, couldn't have said it better. :)
:hello
sensei

Post by sensei »

I invested in two boxes of EX-size Ziploc bags, and now most of my collection, paper and plastic, are zipped inside them. They aren't archival, so I don't plan to leave them in use, but just in case the roof springs a leak or (God forbid) a window blows out, the bags will provide necessary protection from water while I move them to a safer place. Kitty Sakura is by the front door, waiting to be joined by a bag of insurance papers and other personal papers, just in case we are given orders to evacuate. Thankfully, the intensity of the hurricane has been notched down a few degrees, so it now seems less likely that this will happen. So KS and her celbook companions will probably get zipped also and join us in the safe room on the southwest side of the house. And we are, also thankfully, not in a "surge zone," so flooding will be of the ordinary wind-and-rain sort.

I'm exhausted, but satisfied that I've done what I can do under the circumstances.
Mixed Array

Post by Mixed Array »

I'm starting to get concerned. I live on the south shore of Long Island, NY & they saying we will be stiing hit hard.

My town had evacuation drills early this evening. I noticed no one came out when the cop car driving down the block had it's oud speaker on announcing something.; this is scary.

You would think at least on person would come out. We happened to be driving behind it. You would think they would be more observant especially since the live on a river. I was surprised how many people I talked to weren't that concerned & were going on as buisness as usual. I know the news tend to go over board but you should be at least somewhat prepared. The last storm we had in March of this year did some good damaged. We were without power for 4 days & that was no where near as strong as Irene. I guess people are strange.

I just checked my towns website & they issued a manditory evacuation for people south of a particular road. Luckily we are not in that neighboorhood. Only thing concerned about is the lake behind us & the possibility of our basement flooding plus all the trees around us. I'm hoping the winds die down before reaching us.

Everyong Take Care & Keep Us Posted
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

I realize that it's pretty trivial compared to what's going on right now, but if any of you need to submit your entries to the Sketch Awards before or after the hurricane, drop me a line and let me know. If I have to hold the viewing period for a few days in order for you to get your sketches submitted, it's no big deal.

Hopefully no one will be upset if I offer to delay the contest due to 'Acts of Nature'...

Stay safe and dry, everyone!
sensei

Post by sensei »

Raining here in Cephiro. We will take it a little at a time and deal with it as it comes. We hope for the best, for us and for all Betarians affected.

So far the biggest irritation is the TV coverage. "The North Carolina Outer Banks seem doomed to sink into the Atlantic Ocean, while Virginia Beach is preparing for the worst. New Jersey will see colossal damage followed by lawlessness and reversion to a Neolithic society. Meanwhile, authorities in New York City are shutting down subways, trains, planes, bus, and even scooter service. Twitter service will probably be suspended in a few hours, bringing the City to a total standstill. Long Island may be set adrift and become part of Canada. Rumors say Obama will arrive soon, joined with a FEMA team, to make the devastation complete. No one knows what to do. People are running around like those kinda birds or lizards or whatever the heck they they make McNuggets out of, etc. etc."

Hey, hey! There is a whole big state (with two Senators and at least one US Representative) between Virginia and New Jersey, and a big chunk of another one. Why can't we get a Weather Channel reporter to set up somewhere near here to tell everyone how bad it's getting and show pieces of debris fly past?
Last edited by sensei on Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
teggacat
Senpai - Elder

Post by teggacat »

I'm in eastern PA, we're under a tropical storm warning with tons of rain expected and
sustained winds of around 45-50mph, I live pretty high up so flooding doenst really worry
me but hours of constant relentless wind does. Guess it's time to batten down the hatch so to speak,
everyone just stay safe and heed the warnings, this appears to really be coming :roll:
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

sensei wrote:. New Jersey will see colossal damage followed by lawlessness and reversion to a Neolithic society.
Then I might actually watch the next season of "Jersey Shore". :D

Snooki (doesn't) want Snu Snu!
sensei

Post by sensei »

Good news: there was a calm here about a half hour ago, and now the wind has shifted to the north, so the center of the hurricane has passed. I have not gone out to investigate, and there may be trouble in the low-lying sections nearby, but I never lost power or Internet access, and from the looks of the radar, I don't think I will now. The storm seemed much more spectacular in media coverage ("Irene batters the Delmarva coast!") than from my windows and front door. But perhaps the mature treelines in my neighborhood effectively broke up the heavier gusts.

We finally did get some reporters from NBC to set up here. They filmed the local police harrassing a bunch of surfers who were doggedly looking for the perfect wave, then went to their hotel room to find multiple leaks and a collapsing false ceiling. That might have been due to the Wrath of Irene, but in truth I've heard that most hotels in the tourist center have multiple leaks and ceiling tiles that flop on your head, even in sunny weather.

Anyhow Kitty Sakura will sleep at home tonight after all, though it was a good drill to have her and a select few cel books wait patiently by the front door for the first signs of catastrophe.

My thoughts go with my other East Coast friends, as I hope that you ride out the storm with as little difficulty as KS, my wife, and I did.