looking to buy large single floor dsiplay case...

Talk about anything you'd like! Play games, tell jokes, and share your life.
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

looking to buy large single floor dsiplay case...

Post by theultimatebrucelee »

I want to buy a single layer display case(glass or acrylic) for my resin figure, and the case measurement is about 28.5 by 16 by 16 inches. I was able to contact a ebay store for a custom made one and they're charging about 260$ for it...I can bite the bullet but was wondering if there would be a more doable solution for this so my question is, does anyone happen to know this field and can recommend a good site or shop to get something like this?

I'm looking for something that would look like this, but larger: http://www.bagsunlimited.com/p-5422-foo ... older.aspx

any tip appreciated,

thanks!
D123
Kishin - Fierce God

Re: looking to buy large single floor dsiplay case...

Post by D123 »

What you might want to do is get a bookshelf like this from ikea
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/produ ... /10102135/
and just take out the shelves and add their glass doors
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20103554

this is what I found out to do when looking to display my PVC’s without spending hundreds and getting custom made. They also have glass shelf’s I believe you can buy and switch out the wood ones too

and there is also this one
http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/10119206

You can also find the bookcases and detolfs real cheap in the classifieds like craigslist :wink:

other than that I would keep doing extensive searches on ebay with “display cases” :)
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

eh, the problem with detolf is that I don't have space for them and that they collect dust overtime. I need something that's completely sealed with no air opening and half the size/space of detolf. I remember this site that does very high quality display case that looks like detolf but much higher quality with many lights build in in every floor, and larger in size as well but don't remember the site anymore after being shown once a few years back. wonder if they can do single floor case as well. back then I thought paying 500+on a display is ridiculous...now I think about it, I'm paying half of that for a single display case that's not fancy in anyway, might as well get something better....the thing is I need something soon so the kit won't catch dust...it'd be hell if I have to look for dust to clean on such a big yet fragile kit-_-" I'll google some more.

on the other hand your idea is definitely good with the shelf and add glass window to them, I'd get a few when my living condition is more stable for the rest of my collections that are smaller in size. this kit is about 26inches tall so I'll need to customize something just fit for it to be displayed on my computer table :D I'll go check now.
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

If you're on the west coast of the USA, you can always go talk to the folks at TAP Plastics in person about a custom built display case -- they might do it. And even if you live elsewhere, you may actually be able to build your own display case, as they'll custom cut the plastic for you and would likely also recommend an adhesive as well if you ask ;).

http://www.tapplastics.com

As for lighting ... I have a couple of those Ikea Detolf cases for some glassware that the hubby and I inherited -- I just use some battery powered LED light fixtures inside that work quite well.
klet
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by klet »

For the dust in the cabinet thing, what you need to do is stop by your local hardware store and pick up some form sealant strips. Lots of people I know do that with the Billy and Detof from Ikea. Of course, if you don't have room for those shelves, it's pointless advice, but something you might keep in mind for the future.
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Thanks zerospace! I've called yesterday and the person told me he can't give a quote right away so I emailed them also. if this works out I'll be able to get more cases from them in future too since it looks like they'd be able to offer me better price than ebay.

Thank you Klet, definitely what I could do in the future, aside from space and current living condition the only problem I have with detolf would be the open areas(why did they make them that way in the first place I wonder). if that problem can be solved then detolf is the perfect display case especially when its the most afforable case around that does the job.
D123
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by D123 »

Hey lee! I found this link on display cases in my favorites I don’t know maybe it will help you out :^^:
http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.p ... t=bookcase

theultimatebrucelee wrote:on the other hand your idea is definitely good with the shelf and add glass window to them, I'd get a few when my living condition is more stable for the rest of my collections that are smaller in size. this kit is about 26inches tall so I'll need to customize something just fit for it to be displayed on my computer table :D I'll go check now.
Also If you wanna see how they look all built you can here
http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.p ... 928&page=9
This forum has a quite a few topics on displays, amazing stuff!
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

theultimatebrucelee wrote:Thanks zerospace! I've called yesterday and the person told me he can't give a quote right away so I emailed them also. if this works out I'll be able to get more cases from them in future too since it looks like they'd be able to offer me better price than ebay.
Awesome! Good luck -- I hope they can help you. Their people in the local shops here in CA are always really helpful for me :).
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

@D123, nice link!! Thanks a lot! I was able to find http://www.casesforcollectibles.com/dollcases1.html

their price is 1/3 cheaper than ebay for the same size case which I thought was awesome. in the end I was tripping over on their shipping rate though-_- ups ground for my size case is 70$(they even have a one day shipping rate of 550$!)...that makes up almost the entire price difference, so I emailed them to ask for the cheapest shipping method. but I'm leaning toward this over ebay though, fingers crossed.

@zerospace, I would like to visit their store myself for a more detailed quote...even though I do live in socal none of their store location is within driving distance so I'll have to go by email and shipping service, hopefully their price is good :)
D123
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by D123 »

theultimatebrucelee wrote:in the end I was tripping over on their shipping rate though-_- ups ground for my size case is 70$(they even have a one day shipping rate of 550$!)...
That sucks :( maybe you can convince them to go USPS usually that is SO much cheaper then UPS
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

I did ask for the cheapest method possible in email. but I also asked for fedex ground as well. they're really cheap and realiale international and in states. best shipping serive compared to UPS and USPS.
D123
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by D123 »

theultimatebrucelee wrote:I did ask for the cheapest method possible in email. but I also asked for fedex ground as well. they're really cheap and realiale international and in states. best shipping serive compared to UPS and USPS.
Really? ..there rates just like UPS are such a pain to calculate online :emb Most online shops/stores seem to go with UPS or USPS though :^^:
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

D123 wrote:Really? ..there rates just like UPS are such a pain to calculate online :emb Most online shops/stores seem to go with UPS or USPS though :^^:
I'm not sure, you mean they have the same rate for both their express service and normal service? fedex is the safest way to ship compared to the other two is pretty established with UPS coming second. I'm not sure how insurance rate works but for USPS, 1000$ insured package pretty much means 13$+added to the shipping rate and also for fedex its much cheaper to ship larger packages and they're really fast. I remember this one time I had this package in asia delivered to me with in 48 hours after it being shipped. for the price I don't think it gets any better than that.
D123
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by D123 »

theultimatebrucelee wrote:
D123 wrote:Really? ..there rates just like UPS are such a pain to calculate online :emb Most online shops/stores seem to go with UPS or USPS though :^^:
I'm not sure, you mean they have the same rate for both their express service and normal service? fedex is the safest way to ship compared to the other two is pretty established with UPS coming second. I'm not sure how insurance rate works but for USPS, 1000$ insured package pretty much means 13$+added to the shipping rate and also for fedex its much cheaper to ship larger packages and they're really fast. I remember this one time I had this package in asia delivered to me with in 48 hours after it being shipped. for the price I don't think it gets any better than that.
No no to get shipping rates online from them, USPS only needs a zip and a weight while all the others seem to require all this other info not important for a shipping estimate. When it comes to insurance UPS and FedEx probably has USPS beat their rates are pretty high :x but they do offer many different low cost shipping options others don’t :^^:

As a receiver I generally don’t care for UPS they are so slow and come so late in the day with USPS for me they are quick and arrive at an early time in the day not 7o’clock at night. To be honest I don’t think I’ve ever received anything by FedEx maybe once not many people offer them as a shipping option :(
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

D123 wrote:As a receiver I generally don’t care for UPS they are so slow and come so late in the day with USPS for me they are quick and arrive at an early time in the day not 7o’clock at night. To be honest I don’t think I’ve ever received anything by FedEx maybe once not many people offer them as a shipping option
yeah UPS can come at wired times and I never know when to expect them as they don't have a set time for one area like USPS. although my local USPS delivery man slacks off too much, the EMS pacakge was suppose to be delivered before noon but it came after two and I had to stay home extra hours to wait for it. its even written on package itself guarantee to be delivered before 12pm...they don't take their job as seriously as other two companies just cuz they work for government.

got a reply from the case place saying they have no way around shipping, charging 70$ shipping fee for a single case is seriously horrible-_-