Black Friday

Talk about anything you'd like! Play games, tell jokes, and share your life.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Black Friday

Post by cutiebunny »

Happy Black Friday (and early Cyber Monday) for those out there that love going to the mall to do battle with the elements for whatever wicked deals are out there.

Did anyone else make the festive journey to stores on Thanksgiving or Black Friday weekend? And if so, how was your experience? Any horror stories?

In my family, it's a tradition to go out shopping on Black Friday. But this year, since the stores with the deals that I was interested in opened at 10p & midnight, I was able to avoid the 3am wake up call and instead could hit the malls after work. My mom and I arrived at Walmart at 9:45p and found that there was no parking in Walmart. We headed to the strip mall across the street to park instead. This Walmart made those not interested in the midnight electronics deals line up in a large line by the electronics section. After cutting through the line in order to get to the DVD section, I managed to get in without much fuss. Getting out proved more difficult as more people were in the store and I ended up having to go around the walls of the back of the store in order to find a somewhat clear path to the front of the store. Upon leaving the large lines in the electronics section, I heard yelling and shouting. It turned out that some people were cutting into the electronics line and those in line were in a fighting mood. While standing in Target's line later that evening, I heard that a riot broke out at the store in the electronics section and that five people were arrested. :badass

And later that night at that same Walmart, after a failed robbery attempt, there was a shooting. :hurt:

Other than the Wallyworld zoo, it was a good experience. I thought things were handled well at Target. They gave out maps of the store and where the items in the ad would be located. They gave tickets out for the TVs and breakfast bars for those waiting in line for a couple hours.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Re: Black Friday

Post by sensei »

I went with friends to the Phillips Collection in Washington DC and had a good long look at their special Degas show, in which the artist's preliminary sketches and studies were displayed in the same room with some of his most famous works. The museum was well attended, but not shoulder-to-shoulder, so I got to stand in front of the featured paintings, plus some lovely Van Goghs and Cezannes, for as long as I wanted. The museum is based on the personal collection of a single well-financed art fancier, Duncan Phillips, and so the whole museum can be walked through at an easy pace, with time to revisit favorite works several times.

I noticed that one gallery guard actually followed me around from room to room, I'd guess noticing the professional way I'd look sideways at some of the canvases to see how the artists got the effects they did. (Van Gogh used his palatte knife extensively, getting some of his high-contrast tricks by piling up over half an inch of paint in some spots.) I think she actually expected me to take a furtive glance around, then quickly fold up one of the Cezannes and tuck it into my back pocket for Black Friday. That would have been nice, but none of them would have fit into any of my cel books.