Cel purchase advice needed!

Talk about anything you'd like! Play games, tell jokes, and share your life.
MyBaby
Juuyaku - Executive

Cel purchase advice needed!

Post by MyBaby »

Ok, Someone had a cel labeled for sale. I asked the purchase price and they said $200.
Then I asked if they could email me a larger image so I could see the details of the cel. Their response was, due to image theft and fan repros they will not provide an image larger than 3" X 3".
Does this response seem odd?
They expect me to purchase a $200. cel based on their evaluation that the cel is in good condition and I can view the 3 x 3 size on their web site? Please advise.
Gonzai
Himajin - Get A Life

Re: Cel purchase advice needed!

Post by Gonzai »

You know, I have never understood the whole image theft thing. Why people are so paranoid about that
just doesn't make any sense to me. O don't care if people use my images. I own the artwork, so to me
that is really all that matters.

As far A fan cels go, I don't think I would worry about that either, but that is just me.
Eternal Wind
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by Eternal Wind »

If you have reservations toward the purchase, you may just want to opt out.

I don't find it suspicious for a seller to be hesitant to offer a larger scanned based on potential fan cel creation. I've nothing against fan cels, but rather I've seen a lot of very well done fan cels attempt to be passed for the real deal. Sometimes along the way, buyers get duped. In addition to fan cels, I've had at least one person require I sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement to view their collection. That felt a little extravagant, but I'm of the opinion that if that makes the seller comfortable, that's fine by me. I'm certainly not insulted if someone is willing to sell their cels to me under their terms, provided it doesn't hurt me.

If you have eBay feedback (and vice-versa), perhaps share it with one another and see if some sort of trust could be established. Or, perhaps a compromise would be for the seller to provide you with a digital camera photo of the cel? Depending on the camera quality you can probably see line fading details and any potential bending.

In the end, if you're not comfortable, don't purchase the cel. If I had reservations I would ask for a bigger scan and then just refuse the sale if the seller declined. Hopefully you guys can come to some sort of agreement. Good luck!
This is my signature. Fancy, hey?
MyBaby
Juuyaku - Executive

Post by MyBaby »

Thanks everyone for your insights. Here What I did. I counteroffered their asking price, since there was no douga and I can only hope their idea of very good condition is the same as mine. I'll let you know what happens! Have a good weekend! :cheers
Eternal Wind
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by Eternal Wind »

Let us know how it goes. I wish you luck!! :)
This is my signature. Fancy, hey?