"Bronies"

Talk about anything you'd like! Play games, tell jokes, and share your life.
toonybabe
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

"Bronies"

Post by toonybabe »

So. Are there any Bronies lurking around Anime Beta who would like to come out of the stable? :P

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories ... ayers.html
Melle
Otaku - Fanatic

Re: "Bronies"

Post by Melle »

I'm a Pegasister....x3 also called Brony at times.... *cheesey grin*

and these are the things My friend and I make....

http://evilsugar.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d4orhig

Hehe....X3
KuroiTsubasa4
Kamisama - God

Post by KuroiTsubasa4 »

Melle wrote:I'm a Pegasister....x3 also called Brony at times.... *cheesey grin*

Hehe....X3
Those...are amazing 0_0 I need to learn how to sew plushies, they look so cute and squishy. And as for the OP, I watch the show :) I don't know all the background ponies' names or anything, but I watch the new episode each week and admire the animation style and writing. I also spent about an hour singing the Perfect Stallion song today so... (those songs are so freaking catchy...) What does that make me...a filly? I don't even know. Brony was the only term I was familiar with... Pegasister is new to me...
Melle
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by Melle »

Well in th beginning all of the older fans were known as Bronies. Then later on....it changed to Brony and Pegasisters!

Pegasisters are now the older female fans titles. :) though some still just stick with Brony...XD It's confusing but fun.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

I did buy a little stack of cels from the Korean (AKOM) "My Little Pony Tales" off eBay, but that was a Christmas present for my daughter, who still has two stables of Hasbro ponies from the late 80s and early 90s. The thread does remind me of some research a colleague did on the robust and intriguing subculture of young male Barbie collectors.

The thread does make the series sound interesting. Overall, good scripts and good animation trump all kinds of gender expectations.
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

Melle: that plushie is 1000% adorable! :love: I only wish the licensed plush toys looked half as good (they're pretty hideous, IMHO).

Many of my adult male friends are bronies. Considering how many 80s cartoons have been revamped in horrific ways, I'm very happy with this latest incarnation of the MLPs. It is a wonderful show, for both adults and children. I just wish they'd actually release entire seasons on DVD, rather than charging $25+ for a single DVD with only 1-2 episodes on it. And usually not contiguous episodes, either. *ugh*
toonybabe

Post by toonybabe »

Melle wrote:I'm a Pegasister....x3 also called Brony at times.... *cheesey grin*

Hehe....X3
Those are adorabe Melle! And so well made!

I'm glad there are other Bronies out there! I have a friend who is one - he grew up watching all of the NickToons and other 80's/90's cartoons. I think the writing on the show is what is attracting all of these guy fans. It's better than anything out there right now for kids - very reminiscent of what we grew up watching. I love the work of the show's creator Lauren Faust. Her Milky Way and the Galaxy Girl characters are great too!
MyBaby
Juuyaku - Executive

Post by MyBaby »

Hey Melle, now you can afford any Chichiri cel you want! Your plush went for quite a bit! Congrats! It's beautiful. :)
BeautifulAlone
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by BeautifulAlone »

So that's what that word is! I couldn't figure it out...heh. X|

I grew up on MLP so of course I watch FIM. (I guess I'm a Pegasister?! :wink: ) My sister actually started resurrecting our collection awhile ago...she still has our 300+ pony figures. 8O :D Her project was http://somnambula.webs.com/.
"Like a lonely flower, I wilt a bit. Like a lonely star, I bathe in the evening light. Then with a blank face keep murmuring to someone,
'Ah, I'm not lonely...'"
bulleta
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by bulleta »

BeautifulAlone wrote: My sister actually started resurrecting our collection awhile ago...she still has our 300+ pony figures. 8O :D Her project was http://somnambula.webs.com/.
Somnambula... cute. :)
Just wanted to speak up and say that your sister took great pictures of your ponies! :) And Rapunzel! gah! I'm just a teensy bit jealous. :P Of course none of the ones from my childhood are worth hundreds like her... lol I managed to always pick the easy to find commons. :( Oh, well! I'm in the process of cleaning mine up and storing them more properly now. Pain in the butt...
BeautifulAlone
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by BeautifulAlone »

Thanks, and I'll pass on your comments! :D
bulleta wrote:
BeautifulAlone wrote: My sister actually started resurrecting our collection awhile ago...she still has our 300+ pony figures. 8O :D Her project was http://somnambula.webs.com/.
Somnambula... cute. :)
Just wanted to speak up and say that your sister took great pictures of your ponies! :) And Rapunzel! gah! I'm just a teensy bit jealous. :P Of course none of the ones from my childhood are worth hundreds like her... lol I managed to always pick the easy to find commons. :( Oh, well! I'm in the process of cleaning mine up and storing them more properly now. Pain in the butt...
"Like a lonely flower, I wilt a bit. Like a lonely star, I bathe in the evening light. Then with a blank face keep murmuring to someone,
'Ah, I'm not lonely...'"
sensei

Post by sensei »

In a weak moment, I agreed to do a "Diamond" presentation at the American Folklore Society about the Brony phenomenon. (That's a Powerpoint presentation, in which the slides are pre-set to advance every 20 seconds, with a limit of 21 slides, so if you can't say what you think in seven minutes, the laptop pulls your plug. If you succeed, you're allowed to post the result on YouTube.)

Could one of you more experienced Bronies/Pegasisters suggest a forum or discussion board where I could hang out and ask the occasional ethnographic question? I've done some basic Googling and bookmarking, enough to figure out what the big fuss is about "R34" and "Cloppers." (Sounds like the pre-Web controversy about Star Trek fanfics "with plumbing.")
toonybabe

Post by toonybabe »

I will ask my friend - he's a Bronie. I'm not sure if he knows of any message boards though...
sensei

Post by sensei »

Thank you, toony. I've Googled up a couple of possibilities. Everypony's Network seems pretty active but also seems very restrictive about r34 stuff and overall looks to be a youngsters' meeting place. I'm afraid a relic from the previous century like myself would naturally be seen as a potential molester.

By contrast, My Little Brony seems very hip and at least willing to tolerate cloppers as necessary sources of tension and excitement. But there doesn't seem to be any place to introduce oneself: the interaction comes as part of reactions to the "memes" or photoshopped graphics (many of them quite clever). These inevitably gravitate away from the meme to a daily "hello, whats everypony doing today" routine in which people obviously know each other by handles and peculiarities. Again, I worry that if I jump in, the reaction will be a "WTF ... OMG ... POS!!! ... abandon thread!!!"

Heh. Maybe I should just play with ponies for four years like I did with my cels before I registered with Beta... But the presentation is in October. :bawl

I did get the first decent collection of MLP-FIM episodes. I miss the subtitles (I'm hearing impaired) but it's giving me a sense of what the adult mind finds attractive about the series. Won't replace CCS or Rozen Maiden any time soon, but the episodes are an enjoyable way to spend 25 minutes of one's remaining life.
toonybabe

Post by toonybabe »

sensei wrote: I did get the first decent collection of MLP-FIM episodes. I miss the subtitles (I'm hearing impaired) but it's giving me a sense of what the adult mind finds attractive about the series. Won't replace CCS or Rozen Maiden any time soon, but the episodes are an enjoyable way to spend 25 minutes of one's remaining life.
Here are a few links my friend gave me:

Equestria Daily is a great place for Bronie news
http://www.equestriadaily.com/

My Little Ponie memes on the cheeseburger network.
http://bronies.memebase.com/

I guess he doesn't really go on any message boards or forums. I just started watching it. So far I really like Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy. :D