hate job

Talk about anything you'd like! Play games, tell jokes, and share your life.
MyBaby
Juuyaku - Executive

hate job

Post by MyBaby »

Man, I really hate my job... I have to go in at 3:30 am to unload a truck. Do not want to go... :l
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Re: hate job

Post by theultimatebrucelee »

oh I remember those days clearly...I'm glad I quite that job tho, realized that I'm not very into physical labor. you're not by chance going to school too the same day are you :D
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

I have a really nice job: online teaching that can be done in shift time, interesting subject, challenging, and so on. The only problem is that, semester after semester, there's always some hassle about getting me on payroll, so I have to keep reminding them that they actually promised to pay me for doing this really nice job for them.

The response is always a string of sad stories about how understaffed the university's payroll office is, how they are strapped for funds, how they're shifting to a new way of keeping records, etc. Lately they've developed a mean streak: you're retired, so we don't actually have to do this, you know.

I'm reminded of the old ethnic joke about the two guys (call them what nationality you like) who are griping about how their boss always has some excuse for never cutting them a paycheck, while the third (usually a Swede but these days increasingly a WASP) says, "Cheer up! At least you're not unemployed!"
MyBaby
Juuyaku - Executive

Post by MyBaby »

No unfortunately I'm not going to school. I work this job so I can get health insurance for me and my two children. So you could say I'm working there for my health. (and it's killing me.)
JuniorMintKiss
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by JuniorMintKiss »

Well, at my work, our computers crashed yesterday at noon. They were finally fixed today at 1:00. It also shut down our credit card machines, so it was a most hellacious time for all of us. Thankfully, I had the short shift today! The sad thing is, every two weeks, they go down. The company that programmed our cash registers doesn't know why it keeps doing it. :x
teggacat
Senpai - Elder

Post by teggacat »

I've been getting up between 4:30-5am for years now, on the plus side I'm done at 2pm.
Just be glad you guys are working.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Ah, man. I hated unloading the truck back when I was doing it years ago. It wasn't the only thing I did at my job, but it was one of my main responsibilities.

There are two things that I never want to do again if I can help it and that's unloading trucks and working at merchandise pickup. They were both rush-rush jobs. I don't like the time pressure hanging over my head all the time.

I always wore leather back belts unloading trucks. Those generic cheap elastic back belts they supplied us did almost nothing for our backs. But it would be very difficult for me to wear a leather back belt now. Recently I discovered that they put so much pressure on me internally that it feels like I'm heading toward a hernia. After I stopped wearing them, the pain completely went away. But I'm not required to lift much these days so I don't really need one anyway. I guess these things happen as you get older. Your body doesn't work the way that it used to. I guess it can't take the pressure caused by a leather back belt anymore. :P
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

There are a lot of days where I really hate my job. Crummy hours, overtime always comes about when you least want it and the politics of it all are so cumbersome. Then you have to deal with incompetent superiors who either got the position due to their ethnicity or because they bought enough coffee for a superior...

However, despite these things, I try to remind myself every day that I'm fortunate to be employed and have a constant paycheck. This administration can pull out numbers to prove that the economy is improving all they'd like, but I have yet to see it :x
sensei

Post by sensei »

To be honest, I haven't seen any improvement in the economy since the 1970s. Nixon was president then, so that's no reflection on either party. RMN would certainly run as a Democrat under the present ideologies; in fact IIRC Congressional Democrats missed him sorely when Carter came in, as he was the last President we've had who genuinely knew how to get things done in a bipartisan manner.

Still prodding Penn State to try to get them to at least say that my "end of January" check is "in the mail." All they'll say now is that "the paperwork has arrived at the proper office."
Gonzai
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Gonzai »

To be honest, I haven't seen any improvement in the economy since the 1970s. Nixon was president then, so that's no reflection on either party. RMN would certainly run as a Democrat under the present ideologies; in fact IIRC Congressional Democrats missed him sorely when Carter came in, as he was the last President we've had who genuinely knew how to get things done in a bipartisan manner.

Still prodding Penn State to try to get them to at least say that my "end of January" check is "in the mail." All they'll say now is that "the paperwork has arrived at the proper office."
Ha - not too many of us around to remember when RMN was president, but I agree wholehartedly with your statements.
Still say he was one of the best presidents we had - even with his faults. :hurt:
Captain Haddock
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Captain Haddock »

Man you can all come to the UK and take my new job, you get to have the joy of having to turn reports around at lightspeed for Ministers error free or face doom. It's actually not as bad as I just made out and I'm kind of getting into the swing of it now, but sheesh it's nerve racking at times :hurt:
ginga123
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by ginga123 »

Yes, be grateful and feel blessed that you still have a job. I'm celebrating NOT being underemployed anymore for over 4 years because the job market was terrible after college. I've actually got a full time job now, horray! The only downside now is student loans.... *hears booing in background*
Ginga’s Anime Galactica
Making Bold Look Beautiful since 2005
www.gag.rubberslug.com

“I pretended to be somebody I wanted to be until finally I became that person. Or (s)he became me.”—Cary Grant
sensei

Post by sensei »

Congratulations, ginga! I know as parents it was a great relief to see our daughter get work in this lousy market soon after graduation. She's been laid off once, but now has enough contacts and good work karma that she was able to move into another job without too much trouble.
ginga123
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by ginga123 »

Thank you :cheers
Ginga’s Anime Galactica
Making Bold Look Beautiful since 2005
www.gag.rubberslug.com

“I pretended to be somebody I wanted to be until finally I became that person. Or (s)he became me.”—Cary Grant