copied cel

Talk about anything you'd like! Play games, tell jokes, and share your life.
Starfighter
Eiyuu - Hero

copied cel

Post by Starfighter »

Afternoon,

Well anime-beta member figured I would call attention to this auction on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sailor-Moon-2-H ... _500wt_922 the serenity cel there is a copy of a cel belonging to an rubberslug member. This has happened before and I felt that the community had the right to no what s going on .

starfighter
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Re: copied cel

Post by sensei »

At least as of this morning it's being listed as a "Chroma-cel ... limited edition" so I'd expect experienced collectors to understand that this means "studio-made copy ... one of [a couple hundred] identical images" rather than "original production ... one of a kind."

Still, as new collectors might not recognize what "Chroma" signifies, it's worth bringing to Betarians' attention.

And the word "giclee" always makes Sensei feel barfy.
Starfighter
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by Starfighter »

Hello,

Well there is a sailro moon chromocel with the package. The cel I was talking about was the serenity cel . I only brought it up because as while ago someone stole copies of cels , one of mine included and tried to sell them one bay .

Well hopefully it doesn't sell

Starfighter
sensei

Post by sensei »

I don't see a second cel being offered in this lot. Could it be the item described as "A mat finish cardboard paper litho ~ (no writing or identification)"? In which case it could be a laser-jet print made of the cel in question. The origin of the image might be a screen capture or possibly a snip made from the owner's gallery.

I see your point, starfighter. Someone might assume that the Serenity image in the dealer's photo was a production cel, when (if my guess is right) it's just a good quality print on matte paper.

When in doubt, ask the seller what it is.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

I thought that what the auction was for was more or less a xerox copy of a cel. I thought the description sounded odd especially as I only know of 4 different chromacel variants that were made for the US market and neither one featured Princess Serenity.

This auction has been up for a while, so I assume that others must have saw this auction and realized that was was being sold was not a legitimate cel.
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

The Serenity item appears to be listed as "A mat finish cardboard paper litho ~ (no writing or identification)"

Given the price of this lot, I imagine that the seller's intent is to simply get rid of stuff they no longer want, rather than defraud the public. *shrugs*